Office & Productivity Software

General discussion

Erratic Cursor when using touchpad

by huntlp / June 6, 2008 3:33 PM PDT

I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop/ Vista Premium operating system and since I first turned it on the Cursor when using the touchpad is either hard to get moving or goes where it wants to. I am constantly playing with it to get it to go where I want. I have tried adjusting the presure or sensitivity. Wnen the Mouse is connected it works perfectly. But I like using the touch pad for convienance and plus thats what I paid Dell for.
I had an on line chat with a Technition at Dell. He did a remote connection and worked on the Bios and several other items. When he finished I thought it was better but its still the same. Its 6 days old and I am so frustrated. I am a novice so to much detail will scare me. Oh and I disabled the Tapping to stop it from landing on items and opening then up when working on other items. I may have to try Dell again.
Does anyone have a fix for this problem? It appears that I am not alone!
Thanks so much,
Larry

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Erratic Cursor when using touchpad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Erratic Cursor when using touchpad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try to find a friend, colleague ...
by Kees Bakker / June 6, 2008 11:33 PM PDT

or family member who has a laptop with a touchpad also. Compare their behavior. If yours is really different and erratic, and phone help doesn't help, return the laptop.

Kees

Collapse -
Touchpad problems
by huntlp / June 7, 2008 4:56 AM PDT

Thanks for the Suggestioh Kees but I have two other laptops in the home and I operate them with no problems. Its the Laptop and your right I may have to return it. It runs so well other wise.
Larry

Collapse -
Just a tip I was given.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2008 12:50 AM PDT

No one offers training to tips it seems today. To control the pad cursor with more precision someone showed me how to not only move my finger across the pad but to ROLL my finger tip up, down, left and right rather than actually move my finger tip.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
TouchPad Problems
by huntlp / June 7, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply Bob. I was telling Kees who responded that I have two other laptops in the home and I work with both of them here and allot on a work Laptop for many years. I have no formal traing for sure and never thought of that. But its something within the computer causing this. Maybe a conflict with some software. Just not sure. I did reload the driver. No help. Send it back I guess. I may give there Technical support one more try.
Thanks Bob Larry

Collapse -
Erratic Cursor
by uafnanook2001 / July 20, 2008 11:20 AM PDT

I, too, purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in May 2008. Within the 3rd or 4th time I used it, I had touchpad problems. In fact, I worked with Dell Tech Support and they thought they were going to have to replace mine. But, then it at least began working again. But, to this day, my cursor, every hour, at least, "goes wild" and has a mind of it's own. I have changed all the settings, all to no avail. Why does Dell allow this to keep happening? I paid $3000 for this computer and now it's unusable when you can't control the cursor with the touchpad! I'll not be buying another Dell or telling anybody I know to buy one!

Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1525 Erratic mouse pad!!!
by PastorKramer / December 22, 2008 12:34 PM PST

Unfortunately I did not use this brand new laptop much for the past 5 months, BUT now that my old Dell laptop's power supply started shorting out (and I haven't had time to repair it yet) I switched over to "fighting" with Vista and 2007 AND I'm NOT very happy with all the crazy changes!!!! HOWEVER, now the mouse has developed a mind of it's own -- just like I've discovered others have experienced! I'd love to walk into a Dell exec's offcie and put it on his desk to use for the day! Appears there are a lot of other very frustrated Dell owners out there. The time I've spent fusssing with resetting sensitivity, etc. should have been spent repairing the power supply for my "old" Dell -- it's been a work horse, with few issuses I couldn't fix "in the field" It appears that I need to insist that they send a tech out immediately AND NOT mess with them trying to "fix" it over the phone / internet - right? I'm hoping there's been some new developments since earlier post I've found about this problem. Thanks!

Collapse -
Just so you know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 10:43 PM PST

I rarely use the mouse touchpad. Why? I use an external mouse. So far in over a decade of PC use this issue has never afflicted me. I know it does others in our office and we simply disable the touchpad and install a mouse.
Bob

Collapse -
Erratic Cursor when using touchpad
by Beelzy69 / January 10, 2009 4:56 AM PST

I have this same problem with my Inspiron 1525. The touchpad response is erratic. Sometimes it will not respond at all to finger movement. Sometimes it gets stuck 'on' (as indicated by the tray icon) when its not being touched at all. But the biggest problem is with its inconsistent behavior when moving. When moving my finger carefully in a straight line horizontally across the touchpad, the pointer moves vertically in two spots (near the middle of the touchpad). Likewise, when moving my finger carefully in a straight line *vertically* across the touchpad, the pointer moves *horizontally* in two spots (near the middle of the touchpad). Sometimes the pointer moves slowly, and sometimes it nearly leaps across the screen, no matter how I move my finger (as if the sensitivity is completely random).

In a recent online chat with Dell support, they had me upgrade the BIOS on the computer from A11 to A16, but that did not help. They also had me install Notebook System Software (NSS) but that made no difference either. I upgraded the driver to version 7.1.1500.2 but that also did not help. I am convinced this is a hardware issue, perhaps related to ElectroMagnetic Interfence (EMI) (and static electricity or issues with the AC adapters would certainly exacerbate it). For me, the problems exist with or without the AC adapter plugged in. Regardless, my AC adapter is Rev A01.

Collapse -
Found a solution, but Geek Squad uninstalled it
by Michellema44 / February 25, 2013 10:54 PM PST

Hi,

I had read somewhere that Toshiba should put scrolling options in the Control Panel. Since they don't and this issue is commonplace, the post recommended an application or program or whatever it was called that you can download from the Internet that is free that helps to control erratic movements. I don't remember the name, I had it on my computer and it was working FABULOUSLY, AND when I took my computer to Geek Squad for "clean-up," THEY decided that I didn't need it. I don't know enough to go thru and write down all the programs I want to keep before handing it over to them.

Maybe someone reading this post can find that program on the Internet and let me know what it is so I can redownload it.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Different charger worked
by guyvacho / November 3, 2014 3:38 AM PST

I plugged in a generic charger for Dell laptop and mouse pad started behaving erratically. I unplugged the charger and went to battery and the mouse worked correctly. Then I used a different Dell charger and there was no problem with the mouse pad.

Collapse -
Possible Fix
by toolboxwi / February 3, 2009 2:11 AM PST

PROBLEM: I have had the same erratic mouse touchpad issue with my Dell Inspiron 1525. Running Widows Vista with Touchpad driver 7.1.1500.2.

SOLUTION: The touchpad has been working normally since I restored all of its settings to default (including turning the annoying scrolling and double click features back on).

Go into Control Panel > Mouse > Click to change touchpad settings> go into each of the four setting windows and click "Default" button.

Hope it works for you as well.

Collapse -
Possible solution
by dinyarchavda / February 10, 2009 10:02 PM PST
In reply to: Possible Fix
Collapse -
Great Advice!!
by curtisimpson / September 21, 2009 6:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

This worked for me! I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it's definitely worth a shot. The link will explain what to do, but I just shut down my 1525, unplugged it, took the battery out, pushed the power button about 5 or 6 times, and put it back together. And my mouse is good as new! (but with Dell sometimes new isn't even That great! but it works so I won't complain)

Thanks for the link!

Collapse -
Worked for me too
by swwjr05 / December 27, 2009 11:45 PM PST

This seems to have worked for me also. Just wondering ... is this a permanent fix or will I have to drain the "flea power" on a regular basis? Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
FLEA POWER??
by nojunk_ / December 19, 2012 1:43 AM PST

I have no idea why it is called "flea power" or if that is just a silly name for static electricity, but this fix WORKED for me, and I am very happy about that.

My mouse pad was erratic, but a plugged in mouse was not fixing the problem, either. My cursor was jumpy, it was clicking on things at random, sometimes even without me touching the computer at all. It had gotten so bad I was trying to look for a new computer--which was hard to do, since the cursor was SO erratic.

There was a brief moment of cursor clarity, and I landed on this thread from four years ago, and even though I have a different brand of laptop, this fix worked. I unplugged the cord, removed the battery, cleared out a bunch of dust (had to note the interesting connection between all that dust and the term flea powder), held the power button down for about ten seconds, then put the battery back in, plugged the power cord back in, and turned on the laptop.

Eureka! A functional cursor. What a blessing. So, yes, I am well-aware that this thread is old. But I wanted to reply for those poor folks, like me, who land here, and wonder if this fix is outdated. Flea power, indeed. Who knew?

Collapse -
Hardware Issue... Replaced Touchpad to Fix
by Beelzy69 / February 12, 2009 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Possible Fix

The problem I was having was not caused by scroll/tap settings or any other software issue. It was a hardware issue. The actual touchpad (integrated with the entire palmrest and top of the keyboard area) needed to be replaced. I worked with Dell to get the touchpad replaced, and now it works MUCH better.

Collapse -
Same problem
by Naquedon / February 16, 2010 4:48 AM PST

Hi guys, I've been having the exact same issue as you all describe, I am using a Toshiba Satellite L300D running Vista.

I tried everything I could think of to resolve this including things mentioned in this thread eg draining the "flea power" but nothing worked. I stumbled upon something suggesting to clean the touchpad using window cleaner, and low and behold ever since *touchwood* the touchpad has been fine no sign of any erratic behaviour at all. I'm kicking myself over it being so simple!

Give it a go guys!

Collapse -
Dell Inspiron 1501 touchpad problem erratic tracking
by nowwhatnapster / April 18, 2010 2:40 AM PDT

I repaired a Dell Inspiron 1501 today with tracking issues.

I replaced the touch pad/palm rest, however this did not solve the problem.

The problem only occurs when an Ethernet cable is plugged into the laptop. All other times the touch pad works flawlessly. This may be a problem specific to this laptop, but I suggest you give it a shot. Try using the touch pad with and without an Ethernet cable plugged in.

Collapse -
(NT) Cursor moving erratically
by glindsay--2008 / January 21, 2011 4:48 AM PST
Collapse -
Cursor Moving Erratically
by glindsay--2008 / January 21, 2011 4:51 AM PST

I had the same problem on a Toshiba L300D after trying every possible setting change I read on the net it may be a faulty power supply, changed the supply unit and hey presto it worked fine? Get a loan from someone with the CORRECT power supply and swap it hopefully it will solve the problem as it did mine.

Collapse -
Cursor Moving Erratically
by Armagedon1000 / September 7, 2011 1:59 AM PDT

I have a Dell laptop and had the same problem since I changed my power supply. whenever I connected the power supply, touch pad went crazy and couldn't move the on a ramp smoothly. After changing the power supply, the problem was fixed.

Collapse -
Found a solution but Geek Squad deleted it
by Michellema44 / February 25, 2013 10:56 PM PST

Hi,

I had read somewhere that Toshiba should put scrolling options in the Control Panel. Since they don't and this issue is commonplace, the post recommended an application or program or whatever it was called that you can download from the Internet that is free that helps to control erratic movements. I don't remember the name, I had it on my computer (Toshiba Satellte A665) and it was working FABULOUSLY, AND when I took my computer to Geek Squad for "clean-up," THEY decided that I didn't need it. I don't know enough to go thru and write down all the programs I want to keep before handing it over to them.

Maybe someone reading this post can find that program on the Internet and let me know what it is so I can redownload it.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Re: cursor
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 11:09 PM PST

This one: http://code.google.com/p/touchfreeze/ ?

It really makes sense to keep a copy of every downloaded program (the setup, I mean), so you can always reinstall it. Just make a folder "Programs I installed and don't want to lose" somewhere (a shorter name is better, this is just to make it clear) and include it in your regular backup.

I assume you know enough to have a backup of your own data (documents, pictures, music, etc). Then this is just a little bit more to backup.

Kees

Collapse -
TouchFreeze
by Michellema44 / February 26, 2013 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Re: cursor

YES!!! That is the program! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post! I do back up files, and I found many programs backed up on my external as well; but I don't think to do this deliberately. Do I copy these from my Program Files, unless the program is found elsewhere? In other words, whereever the exe file is found, etc.? You can see how little I do know. A dangerous thing! Happy

Collapse -
Re: copying
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: TouchFreeze

No, you can't copy the installed program from Program Files.

What I do.
I never run the setup program from the Internet when downloading. I always save it on my hard disk, so it ends up in the download folder. I run it from there. Then I copy the installer to a subfolder intalled_programs I made in Program Files just for the purpose of saving these downloaded programs. And that subfolder is included in my regular backup (together with documents and pictures and mail and address book and favorites, everything I don't want to lose).

So all setup programs are on backup media (first temporarily on a USB-stick, then on the hard disk of a second PC in my home network, and occasionally copied to an external hard disk I save at work). Once this is routine you never lose such a program and if you buy a new PC you have them all handy to reinstall (after checking if there's a more recent version available on the internet).

There are many backup programs available that you setup once by inputting all folders you want to backup and when that's done, all that rests is clicking that shortcut once a week or so. it's routine.
And it should be routine for everybody.
Here's an example (a yesterday post) from somebody who didn't: http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-587135/is-there-any-way-to-get-my-data-back/?tag=mncol;2f

Kees

Collapse -
SOLUTION FOUND!
by moicez / March 1, 2015 11:05 AM PST

Solution: Sweep the trackpad with a magnet.

Story: I had a friend who's trackpad had this erratic behavior,
the pointer will move horizontally but not vertically, or it will
move like it had parkinsons. And this lady with no tech
background got the idea to sweep a small magnet through
the trackpad and was an instant solution! I was amazed
because I already aws telling my frind that he will need to
buy a new one.

BTW I know this thread is old but I hope someone that has
this problem now will be able to solve it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.