E-readers forum

General discussion

eReader or netbook or????

by 4extremelove / February 16, 2010 10:49 PM PST

Hello all, I am wanting an easier way to read my ebooks with some mobility. I've been trying to compare shop and now Im more confused then I was before. Like anyone I want to get the most for my money, so if I should spend a bit more and get way more then just a reader then so be it. BUT I NEED HELP TO NARROW THE SEARCH, PLEASE. I would like to stay between 200-300 MAX 350. I really just started looking for an eReader didnt require or desire anything more, however, I think I should possibly set my horizons wider. OPINIONS please

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eReader or netbook or????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eReader or netbook or????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd pick a dedicated e-reader
by make_or_break / February 18, 2010 12:13 AM PST

But that's me. After years of using my Sony reader I'm convinced that there's no better way to read digital text than with an e-ink screen. Your eyes of course may disagree, or find that a backlit LCD like a typical netbook uses is at least tolerable. As I like to read for several hours at a time, the typical standard fare LCD screen is not an acceptable solution...for my eyes.

If you feel right at home staring at a white background, backlit LCD for hours on end, feel free to opt for a more versatile device like a netbook. If nothing else it gives you better value for the money. But if you want to spare your eyes from the potential strain, a dedicated e-reader using e-ink technology is definitely the way to go.

As to which e-ink e-reader I would pick...I used my Sony and played with current models at the local Sony store, used my wife's Kindle 2 and played with a Nook (running early firmware) at a local Barnes & Noble...between those I'd probably pick the Kindle 2 as my favorite out of the bunch, though it could still use considerable improvement, most of which will hopefully show up in the next generation. That said, the Nook is supposedly a lot better with subsequent firmware updates, although from various web postings I understand that the battery life still sucks. As for any other e-reader devices, you have to hope someone else posts about those.

One thing's for sure; I would NEVER dream about reading any amount of e-books on my netbook, let alone sadistically treating myself to the actual experience (netbooks are too sluggish to start with, and the typical squat screen profile makes the backlit LCD viewing experience for me even worse than it normally is.

Collapse -
I think I'm starting to understand this better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2010 10:07 AM PST

The Kindle is a backward facing product.
Your netbook or ipad is a forward facing product.

That is, one is looking at servicing the old publication ideas.
The other is your newer ideas about publication.

One is unlike the other and many will confuse the two ideas.

Collapse -
Mobile phone is ideal for me
by mad_reaper / February 19, 2010 10:22 AM PST

I've read half a dozen books on my tiny mobile phone screen and, for me, that's ideal. It has lots of advantages for me, including convenience, accessibility and flexibility.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.