Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Epson To Give Credit in Class Action Ink Suit

by user06 / May 20, 2006 10:12 AM PDT

After realizing my epson cx 6400 indicates color cartridges are running out even though we only print black and white documents, and then makes you replace the unused/still full color cartridges before you can print again in black and white, I posted that news to CNET.

Now comes the Los Angeles Superior Court class action suit in which epson agrees to compensate epson owners with a measley epson credit, which in no way comes near to compensating our office for the color cartridge losses we have and will incur if we continue to use these terrible machines.

This printer is a loser, and until they correct the ink scam, epson is a loser - and our 6400 is going in the dumpster.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Epson To Give Credit in Class Action Ink Suit
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Epson To Give Credit in Class Action Ink Suit
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
May be a stupid question...
by EdH / May 20, 2006 11:03 AM PDT

can't you just remove the color cartridge and then put it back in again? Or does it somehow "read" specific cartridges? Can you swap them between different machines?

Collapse -
It reads them...
by John.Wilkinson / May 21, 2006 11:36 AM PDT

HP, Epson, Lexmark, and some of the others use the same technology to tell you how much ink you have left to prevent you from printing. The printers have built-in memory that remembers the serial numbers off the last couple cartridges you use, and the *estimated* ink levels.

They can't actually measure how much ink you have left, so they estimate how much would have been used based on the length of the pages sent to the printer, the percentage of surface area covered in ink, and the color of ink. This info is then fed to the printer, which is regurgitated to you when you check the ink level. If it believes the ink level has dropped to 0, it may refuse to print, depending on how the setup was designed. You then are forced to ditch the old cartridge and buy a new one. It matters not if ink actually remains!

The reasoning behind this is to prevent the refilling of their ink cartridges. The companies fought hard to make it illegal, but the courts decided against them in just about every case. So, they decided to make it difficult for the end user to refill the cartridges themselves, resulting in most simply giving in and buying new from the manufacturer.

On HPs, this can be circumvented by cycling through 4 different cartridges. (The printer only remembers the last 3, so after inserting #4, the ink level for #1 is lost and assumed to be 100% upon re-entry.) Another solution is placing a piece of tape over select contacts (varies by model), which makes the printer think it's a different cartridge because the serial number cannot be read properly. Some Epsons, though, make it more difficult, requiring you to purchase a chip resetter for the cartridge if you wish to refill it.

It took me a little while, but I figured out how to just keep refilling the cartridges on my HPs using a strip of tape. I can now refill each cartridge four times before it needs replaced, giving me 5 cartridges for every 1 I purchase. Happy

Collapse -
It reads them?
by taboma / May 21, 2006 3:35 PM PDT
In reply to: It reads them...

John, Good info for us all. Who knew!?

Collapse -
FYI - reseting the memory chip of ink cartridges
by grimgraphix / May 24, 2006 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: It reads them?

Consumer Reports a year or 2 back mentioned in their printer reviews that a device was available from the internet that could ''RESET'' the ink cartridges memory chip of some printers... thus allowing you to use the remaining ink in the cartridge. Some Epson cartridges were reported to print up to 40% more pages after ''reseting'' the cartridge.

CR did not recommend refilling any printer cartridge using this method. They reported on it because they felt you shouldn't be left with an ink cartridge that was still a third full.

I did a google search and came up with these results ''reset ink cartridge for epson cx 6400'' and specificly found this listing of a ''reset tool''

Be warned that moding any original printer equipment including the ink cartridge can void any warranty if specific warnings against such actions have been made by the manufacturer.

As an aside... I have a Canon ip4000 (recommended by CR at the time) and the ink tanks for this printer will run almost completely dry if you disregard the software warning. The bottom of the cartridge has a prism molded into the clear plastic tank and I believe uses photosensors to gauge the amount of ink left.

Collapse -
Cartridge Refiiling Business
by Ravinsonoo / July 19, 2009 1:50 AM PDT

I am from Mauritius. I would like to start a Cartridge Refill Business. Please help by informing the website from where I can a CD to give all the technical steps to refilling Laser Toner Cartridge.

Please send the information to my email address:

Thanks for your help.

Y.k Sonoo

Collapse -
by paulae63 / April 22, 2010 5:40 PM PDT

Collapse -
Are newer Epson Cartridges STILL Cheating us Out of Ink????
by grodrigz / January 3, 2007 2:50 AM PST

I own an Epson Stylus x3800 and this problem where the printer cheats you out of ink, is so obvious. With the class-action suit last year, where Epson "reimbursed" its clients for the cost of ink cartridges albeit inequitable, do you know if Epson removed this feature from new cartridges sold since? I understand that Epson ink cartridges contained a chip that manupulated this process. Please let me know.

Collapse -
How is the 3800 status obvious?
by Kiddpeat / January 3, 2007 8:28 AM PST

My R2400 blinks when an ink cartridge is getting low. That doesn't mean you have to replace it. When the red color goes solid, it's empty. Experience says that I will see the effects (defective prints) before the cartidge is flagged as absolutely empty.

I guess folks that are willing to waste expensive paper will wait for the steady red light. Those who don't care about archival images will refill the cartridge with third party ink. To each, his own.

Collapse -
by alexn87 / March 23, 2007 5:12 PM PDT

I can confirm that everything this guy says is true. I have an EPSON STYLUS PHOTO R210.

It's the most ridiculous piece of crap I've ever seen. To print in black and white you MUST have all the other colors (and if the cartridge runs out you MUST replace it).

Second of all, even when you do not use the colors, they still seem to run out.

Do not buy EPSON printers.

Collapse -
epson printer
by geffklusner / December 3, 2007 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: RE:

Whether your printer costs $49 or $499, the purchase price is only the first item on your new list of ongoing printing expenses. Over time, buying the ink or toner and acquiring media (paper, envelopes, and transparencies) will very likely make a far bigger impact on your wallet.

Choosing the right kind of paper for photo printing is the key to getting great looking prints. Using professional photo paper will give you the best results as they are especially designed for this purpose.
go to
get free sample of photo paper

Collapse -
Have same problem with CX6400 and found this resetter
by beachbum38 / December 7, 2007 1:00 PM PST
Collapse -
by Rappatomac / March 29, 2008 10:02 PM PDT

EPSON RX 700 All in one printer.

I purchased an Epson All in one Photo RX-700.
While using the machine, I was so impressed with the quality I purchased another identical machine for my home and Two more Epson printers, the CX9400f and the RX650 for my office.
After less than 1,000 copies the RX700 locked up and said ERROR--needs to be serviced. I was told that the Ink waste pads needed to be replaced and this would cost as much as the machine did when purchased. Within 30 days the second RX700 did the same thing.
NOW-you can re-route the ink disposal tubes in the back of the maching to an outside ink waste tank, by-passing the ink pad supplied by Epson, but EPSON will not give you the Ink counter Reset code necessary to reset your machine. They want you to purchase another machine since you will most likely end up with ink units that fit only their machines.

There is no doubt in my mind that this is a scam. Epson could give you the code and write you off as having any warranty---if it were not a scam.

QUESTION: Is their a Class action law suit that I can join against Epson on this subject---The Ink Waste Scam???
Tony Mangano
Rappatomac Company

Collapse -
Epson Printers are crap.
by gccchan / April 29, 2008 5:28 PM PDT

I have an epson 7000CX F printer I purchased a month ago. Used it a few times, and the ink ran out. Now I replaced the cartridges, the color ones and b & w, and after two head cleanings I need to replace them again.

Someone should seriously consider a class action lawsuit against Epson, I am going to pursue this myself as well. If anyone else has experienced similar troubles, please email me:

Thank You,

Collapse -
Epson CX7000
by Patricia Archer / July 14, 2008 1:30 AM PDT

I just read your email concerning your CX7000. I am getting about 20 pages (B&W) before a cartridge runs out. When one cartridge runs out, the printer will not work. Epson sent me two black cartridges and after 11 copies, I got a message that I needed new Cyan and Magenta. I called them again because I don't print much of anything in color. They sent me a new Cyan and Magenta and after 11 B&W copies, I got a message that I needed a new Yellow cartridge. This printer was a replacement of a CX5800 that I bought in late 2006. That printer failed within the warranty period and they sent me the CX7000. I had purchased three sets of ink cartridges for the CX5800 prior to their replacing the printer and discovered that the print cartridges are different - the CX7000 are smaller. A complete set of cartridges are $52 not including shipping. I don't think I paid much more than $89 for the original CX5800. Epson is virtually giving away the printers and making their money scamming the customer with the ink. If there is another class action, I'm in. I just spoke with Customer Service and mentioned that I think Epson is scamming the public and the CSR acted like that was the first time she ever heard such an accusation.

Collapse -
outside waste ink tank
by astark12 / May 27, 2008 3:09 AM PDT

I have the RX700 and it too received the same end of service life message. I see that you can re-route the ink tubes but there are two of them in the rear. One has a red stripe and the other is clear. Do you know which one is to be re-routed to an outside container to bypass the ink pads.

Collapse -
RX700 Waste Ink.
by hph01 / November 3, 2009 7:54 AM PST
In reply to: outside waste ink tank

In answer to your question, I use a glass container (pear shaped for best chance against tipping over) with 3 holes drilled in the lid, 2 for silicon tubes plus a small 1.5 mm hole for air balance) these go to each of the waste ink lines. Red and Blue on both my RX700. I uses a 20 mm length of brass tubing as the joining tubing. Alternatively you could probably use a small length of stiff tubing as used in Biros as the joining tubing.
I use a CISS kit and have done so for 2 years without problems, I have had to reset the InkPad counters twice. Great Printer, great photos and very economical. The Epson resetting program is available free on the net but took a bit of searching. The other, SCC Service Utility did not work for me probably because the printer triggered the Service Requirement before I could reset the Service Counter.

Despite all the criticism, I believe Epson printers are a far better design and suffer less maintenance than any of the Thermal based Inkjet printers, provided they are used frequently and not allowed to "dry out".

Collapse -
RX620 message 'needs servicing' etc.
by gerrybond / June 18, 2008 9:56 PM PDT

Is there any way I can fix this to continue use as a scanner? This is the height of corporate irresponsibility to lock the customer out of the machine like this.
Gerry Bond,

Collapse -
Epson RX all in ones
by astark12 / June 19, 2008 1:41 AM PDT

the website above has a form to fill out and then you may download a utilty that resets the counter. you can then continue to use the printer but if you use it for printing there seems to be a possibility that the ink may overflow the ink pads a create a big mess. therefore i would guess that you can use it as a scanner with no problem and printing would be at your own risk. when using the utility be sure that you only have attached to your computer the one printer you are trying to reset. you can also after resetting the counter hook up an ink waste tank which bypassess the pads altogether. this way anytime you get the message about the "needs servicing" all you do is reset the counter using the epson utility.

This is what I have done to help with this problem....when you buy a printer from epson buy the extended contract. for two more years you can get full coverage and therefore when this message occurs they will send you a new (refurbished) printer for three full years. I print a lot and this is my method now. after three years there will always be another printer that is better anyway. These units are really designed to be disposable although epson would not admit it. mine stopped working after less than one year as i use it for a lot of photo printing....regardless you can work around this problem by resetting the counter and installing an ink waste tank if you wish

best of luck
Collapse -
Epson Stylus Photo RX620
by wertrojans / October 8, 2008 9:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Epson RX all in ones

I am also getting an error about the ink pads needing to be replaced. Please let me know how to install a drain and bypass the ink pads.

Collapse -
Bypass waste tanks
by astark12 / October 8, 2008 10:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
Epson RX620 printer not printing
by wertrojans / October 12, 2008 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Bypass waste tanks

I opened the printer, cut the black hose, replace with hose that comes out the side of the printer. I put everything back together but nothing prints on the paper. Is the printer messed up now?

Collapse -
Epson sytlus photo rx620
by wertrojans / October 14, 2008 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Bypass waste tanks

Thanks for the help. I installed the waste tank as was seen in the link you provided and reinserted the tubing that I have previously taken out. Everythings working...

Collapse -
epson rx 620
by astark12 / October 14, 2008 10:29 AM PDT

glad to hear it. So the hose that is outside the printer now should have a tank to catch the ink, or else you will have a mess. some people recycle that ink and use it for their black ink cartridge, not sure that is a good idea as I do not recycle or use third party ink myself so i really do not know

Collapse -
My experience with fixing a photo RX620
by rudyann / October 15, 2008 9:22 AM PDT

My RX620 worked great for nearly a year. I got a cartridge resetter and was able to refill cartridges every 2-3 weeks because the thing just gobbles up the ink. Eventually I got the message that it needed servicing. This is the message that comes after a ink pad counter gets to about 40 000 and the pads are going to overflow and make a mess. I read that servicing the pads is an expensive proposition so I decided to do it myself and chuck the printer if it didn't work. I bought a service manual from the net: downloaded for $12. This is necessary because getting to the pads is a complicated (1-2 hour) procedure. Taking great care and making some pictures of the wiring layouts I worked my way down to the pads. Mine were maybe about 1/3 full but I removed them all, washed and washed them in several buckets of water and dried them out using a food dehydrator. I carefully reversed the disassembly and started up the printer again. It took a little time for it to reset itself but then began working again just fine! You probably know that there is a resetting utility you can download to reset the inkpad counter which I did. So it can be done! I think that in my climate (pretty dry) I could reset the counter 2 or 3 times before I would have to worry about wet ink coming out of the pads. The main tool you need for disassembly is a long shaft Phillips screwdriver and/or with a magnet to hold the screws on the driver. Note different screws for the metal and plastic holes.

Collapse -
Epson Ink Pad
by Kingdom Seeker / December 28, 2008 3:47 AM PST

I have the same problem, after having owned my RX700 for a little over two years. I went to the epson site and downloaded the utility to reset the counter. I tried to copy and paste it here, but wasn't able to. If you send me your email address, I can send it to you, if you can't locate it on

Collapse -
Same Issue with newer model
by stamperadam / July 18, 2009 10:29 AM PDT

They obviously have not changed anything in their newer models. I have an Epson Stylus CX8400 and have been printing black test documents and the color ink levels have gone from over 75% to LOW. I even made sure to use the "black ink only" setting in microsoft word's print settings on ever single document I printed. Below is a copy of the message I sent Epson.

I've been using the "black ink only" setting under "print settings" in Microsoft Word X to print a fairly large number of documents that are black and white anyway. I use this setting simply to make sure that the printer does not use any of the over priced Epson brand DuraBrite Ultra color ink.

However, the print monitor application keeps showing that my color ink is depleting. I have not printed anything in color and everything I printed I did so using the "Black Ink Only" setting I mentioned prior. Knowing printer companies and the all well to known lies that they tell you in regards to ink levels (just to get you to buy more ink), I believe this is one of those lies.

The internet is full of forums on this subject. There are even special devices that will reset the printer's built in ink level monitor so that you can actually use all of the expensive ink you bought or buy off brand ink cartridges. I have not bought or used any of theses devices, but frankly it is quite tempting despite the risks to the printer.

Can you please explain my specific issue? Why are my black ink only prints supposedly using color ink? I don't see any color! There is no need for this! I spent something like $70 on color ink just a few months ago and have only printed two things in color. Now after printing a bunch of black and white documents I'm supposed to actually believe that I've used up all of that color ink. The levels went from over 75% to low without printing one thing in color.

Come on guys this is ridiculous and flat out wrong! Your company and so many other printer companies are ripping people off and worse yet wasting ink and cartridges. Not only is this a horrible way to thank your customers for buying your products, but it also is more harmful to the environment due to the waste it promotes in exchange for profit.

The next printer I buy WILL NOT be an Epson unless you can explain this or at least be honest and admit your ripping me off!

Collapse -
Epson Ink Scam
by CLG53 / November 20, 2012 10:09 PM PST

Don't throw out your printers!
I've had the same problem with ink cartridges that clearly still have a lot of ink but which the printer says are empty.

I bought, over the web, a RESETTER for what appears to be several types of printers.
It is a plastic item a bit small than a credit card (but thicker) and has a set of pins on it. (You can buy
different resetters with the correct number of pins you need).

When I get the REPLACE notification (which is clearly bogus) I just press the cartridge up to the pins on the resetter and the light on the resetter changes from red to green. The cartridge is again ready for use.
The only problem now is that your the printer thinks you have a full unit so you will run out of ink at an unexpected time. Just keep an eye on it (maybe put a reminder sticker with the date you reset).
The good news is that you COMPLETELY empty the ink for which you have paid!
Best $5 I paid!

Collapse -
by remas2010 / March 30, 2013 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Epson Ink Scam

First, save the image to your hard drive.

right click on the image and left click on open with

click on Internet Explorer (make sure the box is unchecked that says Always use this program to open these files.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.