Peripherals forum

General discussion

Epson R2880 Missing Paper Profiles

by champmanfan67 / May 5, 2010 12:55 PM PDT

Hi all,

I've only had my Epson Stylus Photo R2880 printer for 2 months and have a small problem I hope someone may have come across since the Epson helpline didn't help me this time. This is the first serious printer I've owned and I'd really appreciate it if I can get this fixed as I've spent many hours searching online for a solution and installing older/newer drivers without any change.

I use Windows Vista x64 and installed the drivers from the CD and was very happy until a month-or-so later when many paper profiles disappeared after updating the software using the Update button on the Printer Setup screen (the screen popup when your ready to print under the tab Utility). It used the Printer Setup screen to automatically download and install the update. After this I had a lot less printing options and my Plain Paper option disappeared so I can't print black and white. My current driver version is 6.61, latest version and Matte Ink is selected as the cartridge type.

Current paper options for my printer
These are the limited Media options I have with Photo Matte ink.
Photo Paper: N/A
Matte:- Ultra Premium Presentation Matte, Premium Presentation Paper Matte, Presentation Paper Matte, Double-Sided Matte Paper.
Fine Art Paper:- Velvet Fine Art Paper, UltraSmooth Fine Art Paper, Watercolor Paper Radiant White.
Plain Paper:- Plain Paper/Bright White Paper (only colour allowed, Advanced B&W Photo greyed out, DPI quality is either Draft or 720x720).

Missing paper profiles for my printer
Archival Matte Paper, Matte Paper Heavy Weight.

I've followed these guides from Epson here without success

I've tried swapping the Matte (MK) and Photo (PK) Black cartridges but some paper types are missing from the printer driver. What can I do?
http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R2880/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=4010

Which is the correct paper print path to load my media into and what settings should I select in the printer driver?
http://www.epson.co.uk/Store/Printers-and-All-in-Ones/Epson-Stylus-Photo-R2880/Drivers-Support?target=article&extn=.html&articleId=4015

Added information
I was told by Epson support (after speaking with her manager) than you need to use Photo Black to print on plain paper to get this option - even though the manual and online manual still says to use Matte Black which I've always used (as a keen photographer I know Photo Black is for Glossy prints). The reason for this I was told, was that Matte Black will saturate the paper but I informed Epson that I use 90g - 160g paper so I shouldn't need to change it.

I hope there is something simple I'm missing and easily fixed,
Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Epson R2880 Missing Paper Profiles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Epson R2880 Missing Paper Profiles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"updating the software using the Update button on the Printe
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2010 9:07 PM PDT

"updating the software using the Update button on the Printer Setup screen"

Any Microsoft update for drivers is best avoided unless there is no other choice to fix a problem. I've lost count how many times folk have a working system and then click on that for no good reason other than to update the driver. Which begs the question why did they do that.

To fix this I fear that we would want to unplug the printer, uninstall all printer drivers for that model and use the CD again and hope we get back to where we wanted to be.
Bob

Collapse -
Update Proceedure

Hi Bob,

I updated the software for the R2880 using only the Update button on the Printer Setup screen under the Utility tab.

I have never updated any peripheral, graphics card, external harddrive, etc using Windows Update since it can often miss crucial files or install the wrong region or version for your hardware. If I had done it the Windows Update way, I know it would probably have missed out on many ICC profiles - this would then have explained why my paper options where missing but I did not do this.

As you said; I should not have updated this software as I was very happy with it and only did so to see if printing speeds had been improved for A3 printing. What a mistake I made! The trouble is that no readme file was provided for any changes that may have been made.

I took a screenshot of my current ICC profiles folder location.
I thought having these would have meant I could select them in the Epson Print setup paper options so the printer could manage them.
http://img101.imageshack.us/i/r2880iccprinterprofiles.png/

I will get the CD and try your suggestion word for word in hope that it fixes it because I'm all out of ideas. Just curious, how does installing from the CD differ from using the downloaded files as I thought they would be exactly the same?

Collapse -
That is one for Epson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Update Proceedure

Let me write it again in case I was unclear.

-> I find when a printer is messed up I unplug the printer and uninstall or remove the printer drivers. (THEN!) I install the printer driver like I did the first time. If I downloaded it, I use that. If I used the CD, I use that.

Whatever method I used that was successfully I want to repeat that.
Bob

Collapse -
Success!
by champmanfan67 / May 18, 2010 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: That is one for Epson.

Sorry for the late update but I have just finished decorating and furnishing the bedrooms where I also keep this big fat PC - and have it all hooked up again.

Its put a big smile back on my face, getting this expensive printer working as it should and I definitely won't be touching the update button again. Using your uninstall guide worked a treat. BUT I only had my paper profiles back using drivers from the Europe site and not the UK or US sites (they are a few megabits bigger but should have still worked - I did disable my anti-virus this time which may also have helped).

This is where I got my drivers from for Vista x64:
http://esupport.epson-europe.com/ProductHome.aspx?lng=en-GB&data=Yc2M45mBlTa1g5ST4u88FMU002F1xbMsFFra5SboVmRb3hAU003D&tc=6

Thanks again for you advice R. Proffitt Happy

Collapse -
Don't do that in the future
by Willy / May 18, 2010 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Success!

While you may have your profiles back again, don't mix driver sources from UK, USA, Europe, etc., as this could well lead into other problems. Pick what pertains to your situation. Don't suspect because what works in one area will in another using the different drivers. Besides the verbiage of the files, there are certain key differences that pertain to a region/area that is required. A note for future reference.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.