Peripherals forum

General discussion

EPSON Perfection 3170 photo scanner

by jackbarry99 / April 3, 2006 8:55 AM PDT

I have an Epson Perfection 3170 photo scanner and the glass has become cloudy underneath. I need for someone to inform me on how to remove it so that it may be cleaned.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EPSON Perfection 3170 photo scanner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EPSON Perfection 3170 photo scanner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never open
by jackbarry99 / April 4, 2006 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: "Never open...."

I do appreciate the advice; however, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided to tackle it anyway. So I prepared it for transport by directions, so that I could examine it. I removed the lid and found two screws, removed them, lifted the back up slightly, slid it forward, cleaned glass, and carefully reversed the procedure.

Collapse -
Epson 3170 scanner dirty glass
by jnda / April 13, 2006 6:55 AM PDT

I have an Epson 3170 and noticed that the glass was slightly foggy since the day it was purchased. I have not been overly concerned with the glass, but was still looking for a resolution if possible. I didn't have any luck on line, so I decided to attempt it on my own and fortunately I found and easy resolution.
Well here it, but be careful. Remove the transparency adapter from the top of the scanner and take notice of the two small screws where the adapter was unplugged.Remove the screws with a small phillips driver, and this is where you must be careful. Lift the rear of the glass frame approximately one inch from it's base and firmly push it forward to remove it from the base.There are two plastic hinge retainers at the front of the glass frame that must be shifted forward to free the frame from the base. If the base is lifted to high after the screws are removed these plastic hinges could be damaged.After the glass frame is removed clean it with a water vinegar solution and replace it with the same care with which it was removed. Good Luck.

Collapse -
by JohnM in Toronto / October 2, 2008 7:17 AM PDT

I am trying to do the samething with my Epson 3170. How did you pry it open from the rear. Did you do anything special?

Collapse -
Removing Glass
by sctony / June 9, 2009 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: To JNDA

I too had to clean the glass on Perfection 3170. I unplugged the slide adapter dongle and lifted the lid up to remove it. If you look down the two holes where the lid hinges go, you will see a screw in the bottom of each one. Removing these two screws will allow you to lift up the rear of the glass frame and then slide it forward carefully to remove for cleaning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.