Peripherals forum

General discussion

Envelope printing a problem with Brother laser printers

by midbooter / July 19, 2005 4:50 PM PDT

Anyone considering the purchase of a printer-scanner copier should be cautions about the ability of the printer to convey an envelope through its system without the enelope being wrinkled (pleats developing on the lower corner just below the return address). I have notified Brother's corporate headquarters and have had to retuern two of their printers within two weeks! Each returned for the same reason. Before your allowed return date expires, check on this FIRST. The models that failed were MFC 7240 and MFC 8440.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Envelope printing a problem with Brother laser printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Envelope printing a problem with Brother laser printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All Laser units tend to do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 10:34 PM PDT

It has to do with how laser printers work. However inkjets have a lighter touch and I don't see this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
My
by Alan Copeland / July 20, 2005 4:33 AM PDT

Laserjet 4L and 5L do a great job, except the4L tends to stick the flap shut if I use cheap envelopes. The 5L has a straight path option for envelopes and heavy paper.

Collapse -
Newness
by Willy / July 21, 2005 8:56 PM PDT

New printers tend to have close tolerances until a little wear&tear comes into play. The crispness of rollers and guides, etc. make for a tight "pass through" and some wrinkles are bound to happen. Further, if the usage under envelops has a feature/lever where you increase the "gap/thickness" pass through, that's what its for, use it -OR- a straight(flat) pass through w/o any bends or turns of the media to lessen undesireable results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
There is a fix
by Kevin W S / November 18, 2009 7:29 AM PST

This fix from Brother will fix the envelope problem. I guess the default setting is "kill envelope".
Open the back door and move the Envelope levers down, these are two grey levers next to the green levers on the fuser unit. Make sure to leave the grey levers down for envelope printing only. When done printing envelopes return the grey lever to the original position or UP position for use with regular paper

Collapse -
Wrinkle Free Envelopes
by JohnB1914 / June 16, 2010 2:01 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a fix

Thanks. That works great.

Collapse -
It works!
by dlxmax / November 18, 2011 7:32 AM PST

I just tried this on my Brother HL-2270DW printer, and it printed an envelope without crinkles or creases! Thank you for sharing.

Collapse -
Details
by dlxmax / November 18, 2011 7:34 AM PST
In reply to: It works!

To elaborate, there are just two green levers in the back of the HL-2270DW, and setting both of them to the down position allowed the envelope to print wrinkle-free.

Collapse -
i can't get it to work
by jennasmulsk / November 30, 2011 2:44 AM PST

i am trying to print envelopes and did what you said but my screen on my printer is still saying "close back door to printer".....do you know what i'm doing wrong? i moved the gray and green levers to teh down position in line w/ teh envelope icon, please help.

Collapse -
(NT) this works on the HL 5340D-the levers are blue
by zorosmom / July 28, 2012 5:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you!
by sevans7777 / January 28, 2013 8:10 AM PST

I "googled" "envelopes wrinkle in printer" and this conversation was the first thing that came up - and YES I have a Brother printer. Your fix worked perfectly (wish I had searched earlier). So we just completed a successful mailing of letters to my husband's patients, formally notifying them of his retirement. Sweet. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and starting with a sense of humor.

Collapse -
Works for Brother MFC-9460CDN!
by jt70471 / August 23, 2015 4:25 PM PDT

Printing #10 security envelopes with creases and wrinkles was driving me crazy!

Works great on my Brother MFC-9460CDN printer w/o any creases or wrinkles in the envelopes, thank you for posting this!!!

Collapse -
Brother STILL can't get it right.
by WatchFed / December 23, 2011 6:35 AM PST

Just brought home a 2270. More than SIX YEARS after the original post, the problem remains.

AND forget about mail-merges--you can only do one envelope at a time.

To print an envelope:

Open the FRONT manual feed slot.
Open the REAR door.
Lift the two levers. (They are not easy to find; they're tucked way up inside. If you can't spin the printer sideways or move it off of/out of the printer stand, you won't be able to get to them.)
Place the printer in a position where you can reach BOTH slots.
Insert an envelope in the front slot.
Hit "Print".
If you are successful, the envelope will print and not be wrinkled.
(I could not ever get that far.)

Here's where it gets crazy (this, apparently, is acceptable to Brother):

When you want to do a mail merge, apparently something rarely done by home office users. Heck, just read along. Maybe it's me...

12/23/2011 4:19:48 PM Length of chat:

00:46:57
4:19 PM

Alicia: Hello, Ed. Thank You for contacting Brother Chat Support. Just a moment while I review your issue.

4:23 PM

Ed: Do you plan to answer?

Alicia: Please copy and paste the ENTIRE link into the web address and follow the step-by-step instructions for your issue:

Alicia: http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAxMA==)/bc/bsp/sap/zsdb/display.htm?solution=200000028702

Alicia: Please follow the troubleshooting steps in the link below and it should help with resolving your issue. Review the instructions to determine if you have any more questions.
4:28 PM

Ed: It will not manually feed without removing the paper tray.
4:30 PM

Ed:

Are you there?
4:31 PM

Alicia:

What happens if the tray is there?
4:31 PM

Ed:

It feeds paper.
4:33 PM

Alicia:

Are you making sure the envelope is all the way in the manual feed?
4:34 PM

Ed:

There is not time to put the envelope i the slot. As soon as I hit "Print" it starts with the paper in the tray.
4:34 PM

Ed:

"...in the slot..."
4:35 PM

Alicia:

You have to insert the envelope before you press print.
4:36 PM

Ed:

All 75 envelopes? Do they feed from the tray?
4:37 PM

Alicia:

Printing Envelopes
4:37 PM

Alicia:

http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAxMA==)/bc/bsp/sap/zsdb/display.htm?solution=200000028113
4:41 PM

Ed:

I assume there is a setting somewhere that creates a "lag" so I can get to "the machine" with the next envelope? It just spits out paper.
4:42 PM

Alicia:

Ok what I can do is transfer you to a Printer Software agent to check your settings. Do you mind if I transferred you?
4:43 PM

Ed:

Go ahead...
4:47 PM

Notice:

Alicia transferred Ed to Yvonne.

Notice:

Yvonne joined session.

Notice:

Alicia exited session.
4:48 PM

Yvonne:

Sorry for the trouble, one moment as I review the issue.
4:49 PM

Yvonne:

Thank you for your patience. Envelopes must be fed one envelope at a time through the manual feed slot, using the steps previously linked to you ( http://host220.brother.com:8080/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAxMA==)/bc/bsp/sap/zsdb/display.htm?solution=200000028113 ). There is not a way to print multiple envelopes at the same time/one after the other.
4:50 PM

Ed:

So the printer can not be used for a mail merge.
4:50 PM

Yvonne:

I'm not quite certain what mail merge is, can you describe the function?
4:54 PM

Yvonne:

Are you still with me? If not I will need to end our chat session. If you need further assistance simply start another chat and we will be able to see the content of the
previous chat session and continue to assist you.
4:54 PM

Ed:

You're kidding, right? A mail merge is where you write a Christmas card to 137 people, lay out an envelope, use the mail merge feature of, say, LibreOffice or Microsoft Word, and print 137 envelopes, each personally addressed so you can match the envelope and the recipient and do in 1 hour what might takes days using
the method you describe.
4:55 PM

Yvonne:

I don't use Microsoft Office, so I'm
sorry but I am not familiar with it's features. The HL-2270DW was not
designed primarily as an envelope printer, and where you can feed an
envelope 1 at a time through the machine it would not work for large
volumes of envelopes. Was there anything else I could address for you
today?

4:57 PM

Ed:

A mail merge is a basic office function,
not something peculiar to Microsoft software. Yes, you can. Please
confirm that I each time I want to print an envelope I must start with a
new document and print each envelope as a separate job.
4:59 PM

Yvonne:

More then likely yes. If you already
have the envelopes created within your application just open them up and
print them from there. Load the envelope into the manual feed slot and
open the back cover as illustrated in the link provided, then open the
envelope you want to print in the application you have it in, then send
it to print from there.
5:00 PM

Ed:

Wow. What is the target market for this printer? Is it designed to be used in a home office/small office?
5:00 PM

Yvonne:

Yes, just a basic small home use printer.
5:02 PM

Ed:

I'm curious how they imagine the
documents we create would get to the intended destination...I suppose
people working at home never need to address more than one envelope at a
time. I guess I'm just not using "the machine" properly.
5:04 PM

Yvonne:

Alright, other then the envelope issue did you have any other questions I could address for you?
5:05 PM

Ed:

Nope, I think you've answered my
question. I appreciate your help, Yvonne. I'll return the printer and
buy something else. Thank you for your patience. Merry Christmas and
Happy New Year to you and yours!
5:06 PM

Yvonne:

You're welcome, thanks for contacting Brother, have a Merry Christmas and happy new years as well!
5:06 PM

Notice:

Yvonne exited session.

You'll have to make up you own mind. I made my decision.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.