Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Entry Trap error?

by BAWA1002 / June 18, 2005 12:17 PM PDT

Not sure if this is considered a "Security" error but am at wits end to define just what it is. Friend of mine who is better at computers than me says sounds like a Security problem with Microsoft.
We have a Dell desktop with Windows XP and have Aol current version for ISP. All Microsoft patches have been applied and all drivers are current.
The problem is with Netflix webpage. About a month ago we started getting an Entry Trap error whenever we tried to logon to our Netflix account. Instead of getting the webpage to login to our account,we get sent to a signup page for new memebers(we have had an account for over a year)and will not let us logon or resign up no matter what. Seems to put me in a an endless loop of just sending me back to the same web page over and over. We have called Netflix,Aol & Dell and no one seems to know what the problem is nor can they fix it. We have deleted all cookies, webpages and reinstalled Aol all to no avail. It seems to be something somewhere on our computer but WHERE? We have everything to keep anyone out, Virus Scan, Firewall, Counter Spy, Privacy Service,etc. Could this be some sort of trojan or virus?
Can anyone help with this? Can this be removed?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Entry Trap error?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Entry Trap error?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried
by Donna Buenaventura / June 18, 2005 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Entry Trap error?

to login into your Netflix accout using another browser? (to see if you'll see the same error)

Collapse -
Entry Trap
by BAWA1002 / June 19, 2005 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried

Hi Donna:
Yes, we have tried going through Google, Yahoo, etc,but get same problem. It is definitely resident on our computer. If I use a friends computer it doesn't happen.
Bawa1002

Collapse -
Try to fix..
by Donna Buenaventura / June 19, 2005 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Entry Trap

the java (Microsoft Java Machine or Sun Java is installed?)
Those sites requires javascript, it is maybe the caused.

Collapse -
Entry Trap
by BAWA1002 / June 19, 2005 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Try to fix..

Donna:
We do have Java installed and enabled. Everything appears ok. Nothing has changed in that area. We have had Netflix on same computer for 2 years.
I have done some more sleuthing. Do you know if SNMPTRAP or the NETRAP.DLL has anything to do with this? If we could just find where the command is on our computer maybe we could just correct the program or something. Or maybe in the Registry? Something on our computer is telling us we can't access Netflix from this system. Or maybe it's on Netflix's computer? Netflix doesn't have a clue on how to help. We've called Aol and Dell. Dell even suggested we reinstall XP! Don't know if we can contact Microsoft. Sorry to take up so much time here, but it is amazing that there isnt anyone anywhere who knows what this is.

Collapse -
Not sure if those files is related
by Donna Buenaventura / June 19, 2005 9:07 AM PDT

Also not sure what steps you've done to try to fix it but if it's a problem with Windows, you might want to try run System File Checker to fix any corrupted system files like netrap.dll which is is part of Windows.

Not sure if that entry trap error is related to netrap.dll or snmptrap Sad

You can try to ask Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport
Simply choose your OS.

Collapse -
Entry Trap
by BAWA1002 / June 19, 2005 9:18 AM PDT

Hi Donna:
Well we will continue with Microsoft for awhile. I do appreciate your help. We have run File checker and did a defrag for good measure. Reinstalled Aol. Nothing is helping. Just such a mystery. But we are very determined to get this thing fixed. Am definitely learning alot along the way. Did some Knowledge Base inquiries at Microsoft support. Think we're getting close to it. Does seem to be something in SNMP. Will let you know if we solve this.
Thanks for your help.
Bawa1002

Collapse -
Crossing my fingers that you'll resolved it.
by Donna Buenaventura / June 19, 2005 9:22 AM PDT

If SNMPTRAP and netrap.dll is related to it, you might want to trace which services in Windows is being use to make it load/run. See "Dependencies" via Services console.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.