Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Cameras

Question

entry or mid-level Dslr

by jplv / January 13, 2013 11:08 AM PST

I am new in the DSLR's camera world. Right now I am testing the Canon T4i and the Pentax K30,,. I know that both cameras are entry level DSLR. My question is: Is it smarter to just purchase the mid-level camera as opposed to the entry-level camera, knowing that at some point I might just advance to the mid-level/semi-pro camera anyway. (Basically, should I just skip over the entry and go right into the mid-level territory instead having to upgrade later on and spend more$?)Q#2- Which camera is a better choice as an entry level,T4i or pentax k30(better camera overall) and the same question for the mid-levels pentax k5,nikon D 7000 or,sony a77

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: entry or mid-level Dslr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: entry or mid-level Dslr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I bought the T3i
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 12:23 AM PST

You could read more reviews but the only thing I found is the outdoor shots I take have me pushing the stock 18-55mm lens a little. Now I'm shopping for the 100 to 250mm lens but haven't decided yet. On the cheap I'm ordered a 2x lens to add on.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
The Difference
by PistonCupChampion / January 14, 2013 3:47 AM PST

A mid-level camera buys you some extra features and controls, some of which the K30 already has (weather sealing, pentaprism viewfinder, two command dials come to mind). They will not give you better image quality.

Collapse -
Answer
re: entry or mid-level Dslr
by MarkatNite / January 14, 2013 7:35 AM PST

You should buy whatever best suits your needs right now. If your needs can be met by an entry level camera, that's what you should buy. Reason being, today's mid-level camera will probably be equivalent to an entry level camera in 3-5 years. So if "at some point [you] might just advance to the mid-level/semi-pro camera", you'll probably get a better camera if you buy it at that time than you would if you buy one now.

As for "better camera overall" there's really no such thing. (Actually, there is, but it really doesn't matter.) What matters is which camera best fits your particular needs.

So what are your particular needs? - Mark

Collapse -
better camera overall?
by jplv / January 14, 2013 10:30 AM PST

particular needs? good image quality,good low light permormance ,good for sports,fast focus system,.Better camera overall?is-------.thanks.

Collapse -
Of the two, the Pentax...
by PistonCupChampion / January 14, 2013 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: better camera overall?

...but the selection of lenses is not as deep as Canon; it's easier and possibly cheaper to find lenses to your liking for the T4i than the K30. That said, very few people need half a dozen or more lenses, and what Pentax offers should satisfy most amateurs.

If video is of interest, the T4i is better than the K30 in that department.

Collapse -
pentax k5-k30
by jplv / January 14, 2013 12:52 PM PST

Should be worth spending the xtra$ for the pentax k5 over the k30 for the extra features for someone kind of new on dslr

Collapse -
k5-k30
by jplv / January 14, 2013 1:52 PM PST
In reply to: pentax k5-k30

is there a noticeable difference in shutter speeds between the pentax k30 1/6000sec and the pentax k5 1/8000sec

Collapse -
Wow !
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 15, 2013 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: k5-k30

You will never use that much speed in the real world because you won't have enough available light.
It might be interesting if you were trying to freeze a bullet in flight while using several spotlights.

The difference between 1/6000 and 1/8000 is about 1/4th of an f-stop.
Only under laboratory conditions would it make any differences at those speeds.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.