Mac Applications forum

Entourage 2008 Won't Open PLEASE HELP!

by Victoria24b / March 1, 2012 10:56 AM PST

Running OSX 10.6.8, Entourage2008
When I try to launch the following message appears: "The Rules file appears corrupt. Rules cannot be used."

What I did and nothing worked

1. Trashed the "Rules folder", still got same message
2. Tried to copy "Main Identity" folder. Found three or four folders with the same label. Duplicated all:~) Opened one and it was ok but it was mail prior to 2011.
3. Held down option key and Entourage and one folder?appeared. Ran verification and it was corrupted. Rebuilt it but still got the same message and Entourage would not open.

There are about 3000 emails in Entourage. I have a Seagate hard-drive with time-machine running but do not knowhow to use it. However I think that the emails are still their, duplicated many times.

I am a senior citizen, and not very good with the computer and would really appreciate some help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Entourage 2008 Won't Open PLEASE HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Entourage 2008 Won't Open PLEASE HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Not one I've encountered so a link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 1:25 PM PST
Collapse -
"Entourage 2008 Won't Open"
by Victoria24b / March 1, 2012 11:45 PM PST

Thank you both R. Poffitt and Mr. Macfixit for your very clear instructions.

Last night after posting this, I again did the options key and clicked on Entourage and this time was able to get a report and run the 'rebuild' apparently successfully. Entourage has been opening and the full stack of emails are here.

Not sure what I should do now. Should I trash the duplicate Main Identity folders in Documents? There is an icon on the desktop with a file box and title Victoria.rge which appears to be another full copy of Entourage. Should I trash this?

Thank you for the very clear directions on how to use the external hard drive with time machine. I am going to print and save that for the future.

I will be out for the day and will not be able to work on this until tomorrow. I am very grateful for your generous help.

Collapse -
Those "duplicates"
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 2, 2012 8:03 AM PST

Close Outlook and put all the ones that you suspect are duplicates into the Trash

Two important things before we proceed:

Once everything you think is a duplicate is in the trash, launch Entourage.

If it launches successfully, it means that it was not using any of the files that you put into the trash and that you may now safely empty the trash. (OS X cannot use files that are in the trash)

If it fails to launch correctly, put back one of the duplicates back into the place you got it from and launch Outlook.
Repeat as necessary.

Collapse -
Time Machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 9:02 PM PST

is probably going to be the quickest way to sort this one out.

Launch Time Machine from the dock
On the right edge of the screen you will see a list of dates and times.
Using the mouse, pick at date before this problem occurred.
Click on that date.
In the window that you see on the screen, navigate to your Documents folder and find the MS folder. The one with the Main Identity in it.
Click on it once
Now, at the bottom left of the screen, click the Restore button.

This should replace the MS folder with the one on the Time Machine backup hard drive.

Once completed, try launching Entourage again.

Try this AFTER you have exhausted all other possible fixes.

Collapse -
More on Time Machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 1, 2012 9:06 PM PST
In reply to: Time Machine

Instead of replacing the whole folder,
proceed with Time Machine, as above, until you get to the Navigate to the Documents folder.
Instead of just selecting the MS folder, open the folder and select the "Rules" folder.
Now do the Restore

Launch Entourage

Collapse -
Entourage Now opens
by Victoria24b / March 1, 2012 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: More on Time Machine

Please see reply.
Thank you.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.