Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Enter network password dialogue box keeps popping up

by daddynunez / August 9, 2004 2:44 AM PDT

I cannot access my e-mail. I've tried using both Outlook and Outlook Express and I keep getting an 'Enter Network Password' dialogue box. When I enter my user name and password, the dialogue box reappears.

I've checked both the username and password are correct by accessing my e-mail through webmail. My ISP has confirmed that I'm logging on using the correct information. I created a new e-mail account via my ISPs website but still get the same problem with that.

I'm running XP with Norton Antivirus 2004 and Internet Security 2004. I have tried disabling both e-mail scanning and the Norton firewall, to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Enter network password dialogue box keeps popping up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Enter network password dialogue box keeps popping up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Enter network password dialogue box keeps popping up
by daddynunez / August 9, 2004 2:45 AM PDT

By the way, Outlook is 2003.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2004 2:49 AM PDT

Your ISP may be AOL or MSN which uses a special password method. Or your Norton has stubbed its toes (it does have a high UNHAPPY rating in a link I'll provide) and no one can help you fix it save Symantec. I usually end up uninstalling it, tossing on Free AVG and ZoneAlarm to be sure it's not Symantec 2004.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Norton_AntiVirus_2004/4852-3681_7-30521466.html

Only 69% unhappy is a sign. Again, I just remove it if its a suspect and install almost anything else.

Best of luck, but your post is light.

Bob

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / August 9, 2004 3:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
by daddynunez / August 9, 2004 7:21 AM PDT

I've tried what you suggest and it still doesn't work. I even tried reformating and reinstalling Windows - nothing! I really can't understand why this is happening.

Collapse -
What ISP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2004 7:39 AM PDT

I had MSN go offline for weeks, but the webmail worked. Is this MSN?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What ISP?
by daddynunez / August 10, 2004 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: What ISP?

ntlworld in England

Collapse -
Looks at their service page and I read...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2004 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: What ISP?
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ notes...

" Service Status
Results for 'Broadband'

Status Type Location Issue Posted Resolved Duration Last Updated
Connection Southampton Degraded or Loss of servi... 30 Apr 09:35 Ongoing 8 May 08:16
Connection Nationwide Planned Maintenance 9 Aug 11:56 Ongoing 9 Aug 11:56
Email Nationwide Systems maintenance 9 Aug 11:53 Ongoing 9 Aug 11:53
1"

As the Email has Nationwide issues, I think you need to wait it out.

This is a fine example where you should ask your ISP FIRST about such things.

Bob
Collapse -
Re: Looks at their service page and I read...
by daddynunez / August 11, 2004 6:36 AM PDT

The people at my ISP sound like The Muppets whenever I ask them technical issues. I did try them on the phone first and they were getting me to empty the recycle bin and things like that! I need to check with someone who's clued up - know what I mean?

Collapse -
The only clue I found was their own web site noting...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2004 11:27 AM PDT

An email problem.

Guess what problem you are having with them?

Makes sense to me.

bob

PS. Was that "Muppets take Manhatten" or just one of the TV episodes?

Collapse -
Re: The only clue I found was their own web site noting...
by daddynunez / August 11, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

'Muppet' is a term that refers to a low level of thinking so - any programme that shows limited braincells to answer your question. I've been in touch with ntl and they have tested the account, logging on using their own systems. They insist they don't have a problem. So I need your help and your considerable computer braincells, Bob. Why do I get this "Enter Network Password" box appearing? It's as if I didn't put the correct username and password in when I created the account. The ntl server is saying "This is invalid". I have got Norton Antivirus and NIS installed but I got the same problem when I restored a bare bones Windows XP image using Norton Ghost.

Collapse -
The CLUE I found was their own web site noting...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 11, 2004 11:22 PM PDT

Since they admit they are having email problems, why do you think anything you do with them will fix it?

Bob

Collapse -
by daddynunez / August 10, 2004 2:13 PM PDT

I don't know if this is an associated problem but I can't automatically sign in to Windows Messenger. I get an error message; "Signing in to .NET messenger Service failed because the password is incorrect or the sign-in name does not exist". I can sign in to read my hotmail via the hotmail website. This is similar to my previous problem where I can't download pop3 email without getting the Enter Network Password error, but I can get webmail via the webpage.

One more thing - each time I go to view the cnet forums, I have to login - it always appears as guest.

Collapse -
by nemot1crew / September 26, 2004 1:53 PM PDT

I have this same problem. This problem had occured in windows versions 98 and 2000 but were fixed with a patch. Windows XP did not have this problem with outlook xp but now outlook 2003 has this problem again. your only choice is to use webmail until microsoft cares enough to make a patch or hope that symantec is responsible for your problems. if its not norton or symantec software than u are like me, out of luck until microsoft decides to care for its customers.

nemo .

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.