Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Enabling the USB port in the Xp machine!

by STEFFU / June 9, 2010 6:26 PM PDT

Hi there,

I am using an XP machine in my office and has the administrator rights.I wanted to enable the USB ports in the machine.I have gone through a lot of sites which says how to enable the USB ports by making changes in the registry and all,but all for vain.

Please can someone help me in this regard.Also is there some software which can enable the USB ports automatically.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Enabling the USB port in the Xp machine!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Enabling the USB port in the Xp machine!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: enabling USB ports
by Kees Bakker / June 9, 2010 6:30 PM PDT

The difficult question is how to DISABLE USB-ports. If you know how you did that, just undo. If you don't know, do it the sure way: a clean reinstall of the OS. By default, all ports are enabled. Be sure to install the motherboard drivers also or they might not work.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) Is the USB perchance disabled in the BIOS?
by Edward ODaniel / June 12, 2010 11:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
No Bios
by STEFFU / June 12, 2010 4:33 PM PDT

I have no idea whether its disabled in BIOS!If so,is there any way to find it out!I didn't find any options to go the BIOS!I am not the one who disabled the USB ports, so cant go the way back..Also the option of re-installing the OS won't work because no CD Drives and of course no USB ports..

Collapse -
Re: Bios
by Kees Bakker / June 13, 2010 5:01 AM PDT
In reply to: No Bios

There surely is a BIOS (that's a necessary component) and most likely there is access to the BIOS setup. That's done by pressing the 'magic key' very early in the boot process. Usual keys are del or F2, but depending on the make of the motherboard it can be a lot of other keys (or even key combinations) also. That's why most BIOS'es (but not all) tell it on the screen (something like 'Press del to enter setup' at the bottom of the screen during that very early phase of the boot.

If not shown at all, it should be somewhere in the manual that came with the motherboard or the PC or on the support site of the maker. If you know make and model, google might find it for you. Or ask whoever provided you with the machine.

Kees

Collapse -
Let's answer that question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2010 10:03 PM PDT

"is there some software which can enable the USB ports automatically."

No.

Frankly, such disabled systems are often in need of an OS reload. You later write there is no CD. That's easy to correct by adding one. Someone had to have one to install the OS the first time. If they didn't then you ask how they did that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.