Mac OS forum

General discussion

embedded email attachments

by starjayde / February 5, 2006 10:03 AM PST

A few times I have had the problem that when I send an email attachment (using Mail 2.02) on OSX Tiger, that pc users receive the attachment embedded with the text of the email. They can't download the attachment separately, from their mail program. They ask me to send it as a separate attachment but I know no other way to attach it! I simply use the "Attach" icon at the top and select the file.

There is also one company that cannot receive my attachments at all, though when I send it from a different mac they can. The majority of people receive them ok, but it can be very frustrating with the odd client.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: embedded email attachments
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: embedded email attachments
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you click...
by lampietheclown / February 5, 2006 2:48 PM PST

...on the "paperclip" a window opens asking you to select the file to attach. At the bottom of that new window is a radio button that makes all attachments "Windows Compatible".

Give it a shot!, if it doesn't solve all, we'll try something else.

Collapse -
reply to lampie
by starjayde / February 6, 2006 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: When you click...

Thanks, but that is already the way I do it when it comes out embedded.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 8:59 PM PST

How the attachment appears depends on how the receiving end has their email client set up.
Even if the attachment appears in the text, it can still be "saved" to the recipents hard drive.

It's quite amazing how many people never actually move the attachment from the email to some other place.

Collapse -
reply to P
by starjayde / February 6, 2006 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Attachments

How do they need to have their email client set? It is always pc users that have this problem and they say they are not able to save the attachment elsewhere because there is not the usual option to save the attachment available, when the attachment is embedded with the text.

Collapse -
That's a very good question and deserved of an answer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 4:30 AM PST
In reply to: reply to P

However, I don't have the answer to that one.
I have OE running on a test machine at the house and it has attachments embedded and available for saving elsewhere.
At work I use Outlook/Exchange and have no problem with emails from Mac users.
Are these people AOL users? That would explain a lot.
This problem surfaces every now and again and there is always much difference of opinion as to what the cure is.
If the OE user sets their email to NOT display images, then they should be available as separate files but that seems a little drastic. When I receive embedded graphics, they are always available for saving.

Collapse -
by jennywren1420 / February 10, 2006 1:37 AM PST

I'm glad this came up. I have had a problem with embedded attachments, too, but on the receiving end, and from a PC user (not AOL, though that has presented its own problems for me--that is, opening attachments from some AOL subscribers). I think she was doing what the original poster to this thread did, and with the same result.

I tried everything I could to get at the attachment--different email programs( Earthlink WebMail, Eudora) and such--and asked advice of some computer mavens I know, but nothing helped. One suggested a few things that didn't work and made some heady but dead-end suggestions about Unicode and other matters, but I never did succeed in opening what was clearly an attachment, which looked like this: <name of attachment>.

Now, how does one save the attachment to another place under such circumstances? I have Stuffit (which someone suggested using) and MacLinkPlus, but nothing did the trick.

By the way, I haven't the faintest idea of what the aforementioned (my father was a lawyer) correspondent did to change things, but I now can read her attachments, which emerge as regular ones in Word.

Jenny (clueless as to answers to any of the above)

Collapse -
In OS 9
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 10, 2006 10:24 AM PST

you can set the type of attachment that you want to send.
I use UUencode as the type as just about any OS can open them after they have been encoded that way.
The other wonderful thing about receiving email from MS people is the attachment that says <TNEF name of attachement>. Gotta love Exchange Servers.
Even with the attachment, JPEG for example, showing up in the text, it is still an attachment and, as such, can (or should) be accessible as such.
Stuffit and MacLink have nothing to do with the problem. Do people still compress attachments?

Collapse -
Same problem
by joshfree-2093454407845650 / March 3, 2006 10:47 AM PST

And this looks like a pretty new post. My problems of this kind have been increasing in the last few days. It seems to happen most often when the person I've sent it to forwards their email to somebody else.

I'd love to have a brief description of how to save an embedded attachment for my Windows-using recipients. It would sure beet constantly re-sending the files!

Collapse -
Tough to fix
by lampietheclown / March 3, 2006 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

If you send it to someone, and it opens fine, and they forward it, and it arrives broken, then the problem is between them. Nothing you can do but teach them to send attachments as well as you do!

Collapse -
Not sure that's what's happening
by joshfree-2093454407845650 / March 4, 2006 2:16 PM PST
In reply to: Tough to fix

It may be that it's arriving "embedded" and they are just forwarding it on.

Collapse -
Embedded images
by steadymarvin--2008 / April 28, 2009 5:48 PM PDT

Sorry if I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I was searching to see if there was something the PC using recipient could do when receiving images from a Mac user. I already know for sure that if the sender (the Mac user) selects plain text format when sending the images arrive as attachments in the normal way and can be directly accessed by the PC user.

By experimentation we have found that the recipient PC user is able to right-click on the image and use "save picture as". The only file format is .bmp and s/he has to rename the image but the resolution is unchanged and can therefore be resaved in jpeg or tif format using a picture editor

Collapse -
Solution to Mac JPGs embedding
by ilcnetnot / March 8, 2013 4:54 AM PST

I am a commercial photographer and had this problem. Solution: Mail-Preferences-Composing-Message Format-Plain Text (and don't use colored text in copy or signature)

(The images are getting embedded because Apple Mail is turning the email into "Rich Text" (= HTML email). So when you attach a JPG, Mail generates a tag for that image, thus embedding it into the email itself. Applications other than AppleMail object to this. This can happen if a signature has colors in it. You can avoid this easily by just using Plain Text emails.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.