Computer Help

General discussion

Emails from My Employer missing Excel Attachment???

by 1Mike123 / March 14, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

Been getting emails with my work schedule for 7 months now and then last Thursday the emails arrive but the Attachment an Excel SpreadSheet is not with the email.

Any reason why they no longer attached to the emails. It has happen 3 days in a row Thursday, Friday and Monday. I am using Norton 360 some are suggesting it might be Malware that is with it and either Norton is stripping the attachment or my ISP does not like it and thinks it is a virus and is stripping it out of the email. Yet my Co-Workers are receiving the emails with the attachments???

Any ideas what is causing this??? Without my schedule I am stuck and they all leave and no means to contact them till the following morning which is not timely when I have to be on my way to the job site???

What are my options. I am not much with computers so any suggestions need to be a step by step instructions on how to fix this???

1Mike123

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emails from My Employer missing Excel Attachment???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emails from My Employer missing Excel Attachment???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Email Client Are You Using?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 9:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
More info.
by 1Mike123 / March 14, 2011 11:07 AM PDT

I am using Outlook Express but not sure what version. in the link you provided it is showing 6 but I think I am using 7 or 8 and SP3 not SP1. Also in the workaround it says to click Okay wny not apply and then okay? and the second part tells you click a box under Virus protection there are 2 boxes one shows more funtional and the other shows more restrictive??? Do I uncheck either of these or what.

I am using XP Home, my ISP is PeoplePc dail up and they don't have much in the way of tech support these days as to email help and not like they did...

Thanks for the suggestions.

1Mike123

Collapse -
Why do things just change?
by 1Mike123 / March 14, 2011 11:13 AM PDT
In reply to: More info.

Why is it that things just change one day they work and the next day they don't. I don't mess with any settings and yet they just change on the fly ans then I have to play around to get it working again??? Nothing should change unless I am making the changes???

Just hate technology when these things go on and it is a part of work and I have to spend my time fixing it to be able to do my job...

1Mike123

Collapse -
To Determine Those Options..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: More info.

Open Outlook Express, then click on "Help" in the upper left, choose "About Outlook Express".. I'll bet you're using OE6 since even Windows XP SP3 with Internet Explorer 8 installed is still using OE6. (I don't believe there is a 7 or 8 as you've described.)

As to clicking on Apply, then OK, that's fine. Either way works. As to the other boxes under the Virus Protection section, you only need to UNCHECK the box next to: "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Although the "Restricted Sites" zone is the best option to be more secure.

In addition, in the same section, if the sender of your email is sending the attachment by "inserting" it in an HTML mail, you may also need to UNCHECK the box next to "block images and other external content in HTML email", then click on Apply, then OK..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks but still not working?
by 1Mike123 / March 15, 2011 9:22 AM PDT

So far nothing is making it work yet. The other thing is I only get the email once a day after I get home and again today got the email but no excel attachment with it. So I just unchecked the HTML one and maybe tomorrow. But today I learned 2 other employees are having the same thing it is only when they come from my employer when others send an attachment word or excel attachment I get them and if someone forwards the email with attachment I get it then but only when it is direct from my employer is when I am not receieving the attachment just the email...

You are right it is Outlook Express 6 version. But still not working...

Could it be what looks to be a virus and either my ISP is removing it or my Norton is or maybe Malware that is in the attachment and removing it???

Thanks just not sure why...

1Mike123

Collapse -
Those Are Different Clues..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 10:05 AM PDT

If others are not receiving the documents as well, then it may be possible the attachments are being stripped by the security software/gateway used by you or your employer..... or by the Internet Service Provider being used by you or you employer..

For example, we frequently have attachments removed from our corporate email simply because our corporate security software does so..

Try disabling your antivirus, (Norton 360 is famous for removing such) to see if that's the case.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Okay Will try it
by 1Mike123 / March 15, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

Thanks my issue is I only get one email a day to try thinsg with so this might take a while to resolve. Again though it was working with my ISP<Norton on my computer until last Thursday evening when i started to not get these attachements I had been getting them all except when they changed over from 2003 Office to 2008 Office. I had to dll a conversion file i was getting the attachment just could not open them because 2003 was and is different than 2008 once I got the file I could open them which took one day but now I have to wait for the single email to see if any thing I have tried has worked. I thionk it is at the company's end they had someone in there working on the network a dn maybe they did something to cause this but just a guess on my part.

Thanks for all the suggestions Just ood it worked up and until last Thursday then stopped...

1Mike123

Collapse -
Well, That's A Different Clue
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Okay Will try it

Although I believe you mean your employer is now using Office 2007 or 2010, NOT 2008, if you've got 2003 installed on your computer, it's very possible you can't OPEN the attachment from the newer version.. In your first post you seemed to state the attachment wasn't received at all. Now it seems that you can't OPEN the attachment.. Which is it?

If the problem is difficulty opening the attachment, try downloading and installing the Compatibility Pack from the link below. It should allow you to open the newer version of Excel.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

After installing the compatibility pack, make sure to visit the Windows Updates site to install Service Pack 2 for the program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Mis commuincated...
by 1Mike123 / March 16, 2011 4:47 AM PDT

I was getting the Attachment end of last year but could not open it then since then I downloaded a fix for it and it is a conversion file that coverts it from 2003 version to 2007 version. But Last Thursday and since then I am no longer getting ANY Attachments from my employer. And after trying your suggestions I did not get any attachments from them today. They have sent me 3 emails today with one and nothing so far has made it just the email nothing else. I also learn that another e,mployee is having the same issue.

1Mike123

Collapse -
Have DLL that already end of last year...
by 1Mike123 / March 16, 2011 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Mis commuincated...

Two issues I thought I would try and reload theat file but being on "dialup" it is showing 10 hours to get it done and I have a time limit of 4 hours each time I am online though it is to be unlimited I get cut off at 4 hours. So I doubt it will download the file being it is 10 hours.

But I am see what happens. But again no Attachments today.

1Mike123

Collapse -
DLL File but Failed...
by 1Mike123 / March 16, 2011 6:35 AM PDT

The file failed installation I did it twice and both times it opens a dialogue box and shows it failed. Could be because I already have it dll on my computer is all I can think of...

1Mike123

Collapse -
If The File Is Too Large...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 16, 2011 6:40 AM PDT

..your ISP could be blocking it because of size.. The email message goes through but not the file.. What's the ISP's limit on your attachment size?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I am getting it from Co-Workers the same attachment?
by 1Mike123 / March 16, 2011 11:30 AM PDT

I guess I am missing your question? If I get it from Co-Workers as an attachment the size would be the same. All they do is "forward" it to me after they get it. Nothing has changed but where it is going to and where it came from? Also I get large Attachments like Pictures from others and never had an issue getting them just that it is slow to dll but I have always got them just very slow and takes time being on dial up connection. So again I am not sure where you are going with this if I once got them, what is causing it for me not to get them now, it started last Thursday prior to that I got them but they could of updated the company server I am not up on what they do with the companies computer setup and system at the company just that I get emails with my work schedule attached and have for 7 months and then it just stopped working. So again I am not sure but maybe they did something with the server is all I can think.

Anyway thanks they are now trying to correct it. I have got 4 emails today each time trying something different I have not got it from a company email account but I have from 2 Co-Workers and it is the way it has always come in format. This is why I am not much with technology when it works it is good but when it stops it is just a pain to figure it out even the IT guy is not sure why it is not working but most everyone else is on a High Speed Connection I am not just can't afford the 60.00 a month for cable connection and DSL did not seem to work well for me when I had it I had a lot more problems just getting it to work they seem to change my homepage consistently and then I had issues with getting emails and that was when it was not anything to do with work.

Guess I am just old school a phone call or a stop in the office each day would be easy then all this especially on my time no pay in return to get it going.

Thanks again...
1Mike123

Collapse -
Then It Sounds Like a Problem With The Employer's Side
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 17, 2011 12:42 AM PDT

They'll have to fix it from there.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: no attachment
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 17, 2011 12:57 AM PDT

Does your ISP offer webmail to look in your Inbox on his server? Mine does. Then you could check the message for presence of the attachment there before running Outlook Express to download it to your PC. If it's still present in the webmail and lost in Outlook Express that would be a clue.

If even the companies IT guy is at a loss, I would go and start looking for a work-around. Open a nice new e-mailaddress that works with a webmail interface (like gmail or hotmail or yahoo mail) and use your browser each evening to open the mail and download or print the attachment. Might very well work.

Kees

Collapse -
Employer Finally acknowledged today it is on their end...
by 1Mike123 / March 18, 2011 10:02 AM PDT

There is not work around... More than one is having this issue if it was only me as I was told it was until Wednesday then I would still be asking for suggestions but everyone that I got here did not fix this. After learning others are having the same issue I took it to a higher Mgr and he got the IT guy working on it and he was dealing with a co-worker sending him many emails and it never worked for him either. Once I informed the mgr he took it to the IT guy they use and he has not corrected this either. So something they did seem to have caused it as it seems to be most of the time. Just like it when they tell you you are the only employee having this and yet the know better. So I am waiting for them to get it fixed... Computers have Glitches and yet IT Professionals have trouble fixing and it has been 3 days of them working on this!

Thanks Grif for all the suggestions none worked but thanks for trying!!!
1Mike123

Collapse -
(NT) Mike, Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 18, 2011 10:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
They are on high speed cable connection
by 1Mike123 / March 19, 2011 2:54 AM PDT

Not sure why they get the attachment but they are on high speed connection Charter or Comcast I am on dial are others that aren't but I doubt that is why though. But they should not have to forward it for me to get a copy of it. But again sounds to be server issue at the company end. Will post back if they get it fixed...

1Mike123

Collapse -
Possible Solution...
by 1Mike123 / April 2, 2011 12:55 AM PDT

Well I recently learned that Microsoft no longer offers free tech support for XP or Outlook Express. And it appears that Outlook Express is why but can not confirm this... I just loaded Office 2007 and switched to Outlook and the old emails now have the attachements included. I think many ISP are no longer supporting Outlook Express though they don't inform you of this it seems to be the case maybe they are switching over to Mircosoft Live Mail which is only good with Windows 7 so you can't use it with XP. Looks to be because XP & Outlook Express is no longer support unless you pay 48.00 an hour which will quickly add up to the cost of Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate they are forcing XP Users to pay for a new OS. At least that is the way I see it. But these days you have to have a computer just to find a job and most companies only accept emails and online applications if you are searching so you have to spend cash to keep up. Since no one here could help get my issue resolved I have spent about 20 hours of my time just to get my work schedule and they don't think that time is worth anything. I think email is the worst way to communicate with employees but then they have a record and phone calls are obsolete. Yet when they have no work they don't email you till that morning so you can't plan anything and they know the day before they having no work. Another reason why I hate computers and technology. They just don't have the guts to call you. No social interaction and that is going to be bad for the young people but I guess loyalty is a thing of the past for working at a company for many of us...

If you have access to Office 2007 and load it and switch to just Outlook it might fix this for others...

Good Luck...

1Mike123

Collapse -
Microsoft updates on Outlook Express may have done it
by duckster2 / April 29, 2011 6:07 PM PDT

Microsoft update their programs all the time
The outlook may have had its security settings enhanced in an update that stops file attachments with active scripts as an example. (usually they are trying to stop security holes hackers have found or exploited in their software)

Mike these updates occur behind the scenes and when you are connected to the internet.

I had a problem once with a windows 2000 peer to peer computer network because of a security update that users sharing a printer unless they each had a log in and password. This cost me about 3 hours to work out why my server suddenly stopped sharing out its printers to other computers.

Collapse -
Yea but having little to no computer Knowledge
by 1Mike123 / April 29, 2011 11:50 PM PDT

I am not much with computers and as of late it seems that XP is a thing of the past. I continue to have more issues with emails and such from someone that has it working and then things just stop it is hard fix things like this and other issues and now it appears because of these changes that wreck havoc with my computers it appears that it is forcing many to upgrade to Windows seven on old machines which has limiations and costs you$$$$$ and alot of time to make the change...

But thanks seems the updates are just to many these days and MircoSoft no longer supports XP period and anything associated with it unless you pay 49.00 an hour with no guarantee they can fix the issue and doing it remote from where the computer just adds to it...

1Mike123

Collapse -
Reading this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 12:02 AM PDT

I see that a company is involved. Why not ask that company's IT staff for help? You tipped your hand a little with "MircoSoft no longer supports XP period and anything associated with it unless you pay 49.00 an hour" that you need FREE SUPPORT.

Since it is work related, work is the place to get support.

Have you considered moving to another email software?
Have you tried the web interface to your mail? (this is ISP dependent)

Bob

Collapse -
Just not worth asking ITS they have no idea why either...
by 1Mike123 / April 30, 2011 12:25 PM PDT

I like the fact that you advise the IT people and they work on it for 2 week and can't fix it so I did I bouth Office 2007 with Outlook and loaded it and now I get the attachments but now my ISP does not like Outlook only Outlook Express that is more than useless when IT at the company I work for can't correct it. I am told it could be a number of reasons like like the auto updates Microsoft provides for security issue but they also seem to cause havic with my computers when they update it changes settings and then other times things no longer work like getting attachments. Guess my brother is right need to step away from Microsoft and give Linux a try... Can't get any worse especialy when it involves work and no ability to get my work schedule via excel attachments. But that is just how it seems to go with most things computers and you are subject t all kinds of things that just stop working when you need them.

So this is it for me tired of spending all my free time working on something and nothing in return. Too much time wasted..

I am done asking questions and getting little help in return...

Oh well such it is with computers and me...

1Mike123

Collapse -
That's a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 12:34 PM PDT

Look up UBUNTU. You can boot the UBUNTU CD and perform an install that let's you keep both XP and Ubuntu. Now we can use the email software there as a test. Does it work ok?

It would help to see if the issue is with your machine or not. All the above seems to point to other places the email lost the attachment.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.