Computer Newbies forum

Question

Emailing credit card number

by volvogirl / April 5, 2012 4:19 AM PDT

I looked all around and wasn't sure where to post this. I know it isn't safe and not to email personal info but is it safer to put it in the order form on their website? I want to order something from England and I don't know how to pay them. I don't know if I can use their order form being overseas. I did email them for the price & shipping.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emailing credit card number
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emailing credit card number
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What I tell everyone
by TWB404 / April 5, 2012 4:33 AM PDT

Go out and buy you a Vista gift card for just above the amount your going to buy. Most online retailers will except it like it is a regular credit card, you can check with the site your thinking of buying from. Once you make your purchase you can use what is left on the card the next time you go shopping locally. Once you have emptied the card just cut it up. If for any reason the number does get stolen, there is nothing of value left on the card.

Collapse -
Answer
What I did for my son.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

We bought a Visa/MC/Express Gift Card and made the purchase. Even if the number leaked, it's only for the amount on the card. The downside is that you pay 5 to some ungodly percent more for the gift card. That is some 100 buck card would be 105 at the register.

Beats having to worry.
Bob

Collapse -
Great Idea
by volvogirl / April 5, 2012 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: What I did for my son.

Thanks everyone. I do use a separate credit card for online shopping that only has a 500 limit on it. I just use that for online. I'm safe using that one for stuff right? If I have a small limit someone can't charge more can they?

Collapse -
Actually, They Sometimes Can
by Hforman / April 21, 2012 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Great Idea

If you had a debit card, they can't go over the balance of your checking account, obviously. If you have a gift card, they can't go over the limit there. However, if this is a regular credit card and you are in good standing, they will LET you exceed the limit to a certain extent. It is up to them because they can automatically give you a higher credit limit at any time if they want to. The limit is only fior their protection and not really yours.

So, if this is not a gift card and not a debit card, someone could go over the limit.

Many online vendors have a guarantee of some sort. "Verified by Visa". Or they are just plain hionest. Companies can loose their online reputation fast if they start jerking you around. So, you may be reasonably safe there. Where you could get into trouble is if, in the process of entering your card, someone intercepts your card information (type, number,security code).

Also, most credit card companies have fraud protection and limits. Usually, if you report fraud or misuse quickly, they will limit your liability to a certain figure like $50 or, even, $0. Your credit card information can be compromised anywhere, not just online. A waitress or store employee can make copies of your card information or double scan your card. Credit card fraud is everywhere.

I agree with the gift card idea that others have suggested but only for some unusual purchase or to a place you are not too sure of. Let me give you an example of what I did.

On the U.S. Post Office website, I opened an account to do a lot of shipping a couple of years ago. In the registration, they asked for UP TO three credit cards to keep on file. Some people will not do that, but I confirmed this is the post office and, aside from getting shot, I trust them. Since I had just scanned my computer for malware, I put in my card numbers. Why? It is a lot safer to put in your credit card numbers ONCE and not keep putting them in many, many times. You are more likely to have theft by malware on your computer than by misdeeds of a ligit business on the internet. So, if I know who I am dealing with and plan repeat businesses, I'll let them hold onto the numbers for me so I can say, "Just use the credit card with the last for digits ...1234" rather than type the whole thing again.

I've been doing online banking an eCommerce for awhile and I know how it feels to type your information into the form. Some suggestions:

1) For a single large transaction with a site you don't know, consider the pros and cons of using a "gift card" or your regulat credit card.

2) If you are going to do these purchases a lot, make sure your computer is squeeky-clean. Anti-Virus (good one), anti-malware, spyware. Make sure your rouer is running security.

3) Never buy online, unless you absolutely have to, from an unknown comuter (one that is not YOURS). If you have irresponsible people using the computer, either scan or don't use it.

4) Make sure communication from the start to finish, as well as any registration and login, is done with SSL. Your browser should have a little "lock" symbol and/or the website URL should start with "https://".

5) Make sure you trust the site. Is it Amazon? A site for a brick-and-morter store? You didn't click on a link in some strange email? The offer isn't "too good to be true"?

6) Consider storing your credit card information on your computer inder encrption (Roboform). That way, you can copy and paste the numbers and avoid a keylogger.

7) Open a Paypal account BUT only if you are quick to spot phony phishing email. Only go there if a purchase site sends you there or you key in the URL yourself. Never click on a link in an email to get to a site like that.

Cool Go to the Mastercard or Visa or whatever website and see if you have any online protections you can sign up for such as "Verified by Visa" (but I have yet to see this in action). Sign up for alerts if you can.

9) Try not to worry too much. You should always check your statements, balances, etc. to look for anything suspicious and call your bank if you spot something shady quickly. Most banks will work with you to remove all fradulent charges.

Collapse -
Answer
In addition
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 5:19 AM PDT

to the other answers, does this UK web site offer Paypal?

I have used that before.

One other thing, is this a recognised UK web site? We have scam sites as well, sadly.

Mark

Collapse -
I think it does use PayPal
by volvogirl / April 5, 2012 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: In addition

I never used PayPal before. I dont know how it works. I think it's a good website. It's for an iPad holder called I Got You. Look it up. They have a very nice video. It's only 9pounds + 10 to ship overseas. Do you know anybody coming to Calif from there that could pick up one for me? Shouldn't take up too much room in your bag.

Collapse -
Sunny California?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

I'll be right over!

Sadly not possible though.

I tried http://www.igotyou.co.uk/ but just got a domain name seller web site. Can you supply the full link?

PayPal takes a while to set up. You have to give them your bank account details then wait for them to deposit a few cents into your account as a test, (that your account is genuine). It could take a day to a few days. But after that just feed it money and then any participating online shop web site will offer you a link to PayPal, you sign in, then make the transfer. As with the cards mentioned above, hackers would only be able to withdraw what is in there.

Mark

Collapse -
Sure Let me know if you like it.
by volvogirl / April 5, 2012 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Sunny California?
Collapse -
Hmm.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 6:26 AM PDT

I'm procrastinating. (Or is that prevaricating? I have problems differentiating between the two).

First of all, I can see nothing that jumps up and shouts at me, "Stay away!". Nothing that suggests to me that it is anything but genuine.

That said, these are my thoughts.

Firstly, they do say they prefer PayPal. Top marks from me for that. But then;

1] No "Bricks and Mortar". No physical address, only a telephone number and an email address.

2] No online ordering. From my point of view that makes this a small concern, possibly in someone's front room in their home.

3] Testimonials - 3 from Clare, Lucy and Vaibhav. No way to check on them and to be brutal, anyone can provide testimonials. I asked my next door neighbour to do one once, to prove a point to someone I was having a 'discussion' with about online safety.

4] Returns Policy. They will refund in full, but only if is despatched within 14 days of delivery, in the original packaging. Difficult if you are in Calif and they are over here. And of course, the goods must be "unused".

5] They have a Facebook page. If you're a member, (I am not), you can have a look if you like at http://www.facebook.com/pages/I-Got-You-Ipad-Holder/180809805325104 but I see no comments from others on that link I have given. FB's Timeline is an interesting feature. It gave me the option to see "Posts by others". There were none.

6] WOT, (Firefox's Web of Trust web site security notifier), doesn't give any bad indications, but the site hasn't been reviewed yet.

7] A Whois search gives these results; http://who.is/whois/ipadholders.co.uk/ Registered address at Warwickshire in the United Kingdom. Google Maps for their postcode, (available in that Whois page), seems to give this address as an ordinary house. But at least it is in the UK

Cool Their video is a little strange. Yellow cabs like you see in NY, and also someone coming out of a building in Taipei, Taiwan. I didn't see anything obviously British.

9] When I watched that video I heard the commentator say, "Easy your iLife in a second". Not the English I know.

I might not take the risk, but that said, it is only 9 GBP, or around 13/14 USD postage included, so it is not a great amount, and the holder looks good.

I hope I haven't done a demolition job on what might be a genuine concern.

Mark

Collapse -
hmm Procrastinating
by mugfaker / April 20, 2012 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm.

I have a small business in the UK, It is based on my home. My full postal address, bricks and mortar is on my website. My shopping cart is serviced via Paypal, and I have customers in a number of overseas countries. There is no neccesity for customers to enter any card details on our site. Aside from the shopping cart which always includes postage for the Uk which is where the bulk of my business comes from, I ask overseas customers to contact us by email to place their order I can then issue a Paypal invoice. (not all do so) I don't want to have, nor do I need their card number.
When out and about with my business I do accept credit/debit cards through a hand held terminal, and have without problems, done business with any number of overseas visitors, not all use the pin numbers we use in the UK and it can be "fun" comparing a, for instance, Chinese signature on the back of a card with that on a reciept. (trust!)
However, even face to face there is a risk, and reputation is important. If I accept payment by card from an overseas customer, I have to trust that the card and customer is genuine, and to date (looking round for wood to touch) I have not had problems.
I only pay by card, traders I know, and would only pay overseas traders by paypal.
If Mark looked at my address on Google maps he would see a house on a council estate with an untidy yard, with a caravan, a transit van and a car, everything I sell is created in the back bedroom. The Internet has opened the world to the small business, and virtually anyone who is a "crafter" or producer or even a car booter can reach out to the world. Small, working from home, back bedroom, anyone can be a "world power".
I could put testimonials, on my site, but so far haven't, I know the ones I have are genuine, but equally I could have written them myself. I rely to a large extent on personal reccommendation.

I have clients from America, Russia, Japan, China, who return to me at the same place each year and spend well, and they bring their friends to see me too. 90% pay by card, then the repeat orders come in by post and are paid by Paypal.

My reccommendation to volvogirl would be to put her mind at rest, set up a Paypal account, you only do it once, and you can pay anywhere in the world in your own currency, and the worry about card safety is gone.

Collapse -
Good advice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 20, 2012 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm Procrastinating

and let me say this is exactly why I "procrastinated" in my post you replied to.

I'm well aware that many online businesses are the same as yours, and the vast majority are reliable and trustworthy, and I tried very carefully to keep my comments neutral. But in this case where the issue was raised my findings came out as they did.

It is all to do with "Impressions" and here in the UK at least we tend to trust bricks and mortar organisations. That said, how many of us use and trust an online company like Amazon, who started out with very little?

I agree PayPal is very useful in these cases and once set up, is very easy to use.

Many thanks for your comments.

Mark

Collapse -
good advice- new
by mugfaker / April 21, 2012 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Good advice

I was in no way criticising your comments, in many cases they are valid, I also did not take it as criticism of my own business. My point was that trust is involved in many internet transactions, or indeed card transactions. Many Internet businesses are small concerns and should not neccessarily be dismissed simply because of that. I firmly believe that although Paypal does cost, it is the best way to transact internet business. Honesty and trust are everything. I had recent experience of a trader who accepted payments by card and by card via his web site. Everything appeared normal then at a distance to the original transaction either card was re charged, or the held card information was used improperly by the trader to make purchases for himself. It gave rise to quite a furore on the forums which eventually lead to the closure of his business. How he got away with it for so long, the Lord only knows, enough complaints were made.

If one is keen to do so, there is more than enough information on the net to enable one to set up businesses to appear as multi departmental super style emporia, all run from the proverbial laptop. All it takes is a little computer skill.

I wish safe trading to all.

Collapse -
There are similar on Amazon
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 6:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. This model has corner protection.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2012 6:34 AM PDT

Even seen an iPad owner cry over the dinged up corners?

Collapse -
That looks good
by volvogirl / April 5, 2012 7:16 AM PDT

I guess I haven't looked around enough yet. I think I'll pass on the one from the uk. Yea, I thought the english was off for such a slick looking video. And was surprised it was in England.

Collapse -
Final Outcome
by volvogirl / April 22, 2012 10:21 AM PDT

Thank you Mr. Proffitt. I went with the Grabbit. I liked having a hard cover for the front screen. Actually ordered it that same night April 5, late (very late) on Thursday night after emailing them to see if I could pick it up at their office in Fremont (since I didn't want to pay shipping and didn't see the free one). He told me about the free shipping option and that it wouldn't take too long since I lived close. And it came in the regular mail on Saturday!

Collapse -
Nice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 22, 2012 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Final Outcome

and good work.

You may have noticed other, er... additions to your discussion. Not to worry, I suspect that Lee, the Forum Admin, added this thread into one of his weekly Newsletters, Happy

Mark

Collapse -
The site you linked to prefers ...
by Edward ODaniel / April 6, 2012 4:13 PM PDT

paypal and since they use it as their store shopping cart you can use PayPal even if you do not have a PayPal account.

Once you click on their Buy Now the PayPal page opens and you simply click the link to pay as a PayPal guest.

Since their S&H is only figured for UK you still need to email them and they will probably provide a direct payment link for PayPal.

Collapse -
Answer
Use 0ne time credit card
by waseca kid / April 21, 2012 12:33 AM PDT

Go to www.dailyfinance.com/2009/07/20/how-to-create-a-one-time-use-credit-card-number for information about one time credit cards.

You set the amount to be charged on a card and a new number with that amount is created to be used only one time.

Collapse -
Answer
Right Over?
by Hforman / April 21, 2012 8:29 AM PDT

Just don't tweet anything about digging up Marilyn Monroe before you come!

Collapse -
Answer
AMEX
by Hforman / April 21, 2012 8:37 AM PDT

American Express used to have that with their Blue card. You used to be able to get a one-time use number that you used with the card and it had a smart chip reader you can get to facilitate that. They did away with that. I have no idea why? Maybe it was somehow too expensive and was cheaper just to deal with fraud when it pops up. There was always some confusion among vendors as to how it was supposed to work as well. I still use the card as it lets me pay over time and I get all sorts of AMEX bnefits when renting cars or making purchases. They took care of me when someone dinged up my rental car in a parking lot in Hawaii.

Collapse -
Answer
a few things...
by porsche10x / April 22, 2012 7:54 AM PDT

Similar to what was mentioned, My Bank of America Mastercard allows me to do one-time transactions with single-use credit card numbers (actually, I can specify the credit limit and the expiration date for multiple transactions if I want).

If you do a credit card transaction on line, just make sure that you see "https" in the URL, not just "http". I laugh, because a number of years ago, it was considered unsafe to do any financial transactions on line at all, including purchases of any kind. Nothing has changed regarding the security at all. We've just lowered our standards as a society. If it makes you feel any better, your credit card really isn't any safer when you give it to a cashier or a waiter. It's probably more likely to get hacked during any routine brick-and-mortar purchase. Also, databases can be hacked, compromising your personal information without making any purchases at all. I've had credit cards reissued at least five or six times because of security compromises having nothing at all to do with my actual purchases.

Also, regarding the previous suggestions about using debit cards: Generally, you have many more consumer rights when you use your credit card. If your debit card is hacked, you'll have a much harder time recovering your losses. With your credit card, you're usually 100% protected.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.