Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

email previews

by midge5 / April 2, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

when i click on an email to read a preview comes up at the bottom..I have been told this is not wise to have as viruses could get through but how do I get rid of the previews

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: email previews
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: email previews
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Email previews
by eddie11013 / April 3, 2006 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: email previews

Click on the following link: http://cybercoyote.org/security/prevpane.htm If you do this, to be extra safe you are also supposed to scan "each" and every email with your antivirus program. As an FYI, I did this, but I decided I didn't like it. So I changed it back. Too much trouble. Yes you might be safer, but I have my antivirus and antispyware programs and I scan often so I feel safe. I have been "clean" for quite some time now. Of course, even if you open emails from just people you know, which is what I do, you could still get a virus.
Good Luck,
Eddie

Collapse -
The problem is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 12:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Email previews

The latest IE exploit is NOT stopped by any scanner, antivirus or firewall. This exploit extends into OE by virtue that OE uses IE components to render the view.

Preview is a great open door for these new threats.

Links about this exploit:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Internet+Explorer+Exploit+createTextRange+Code+Execution

Be wary of reading the sites listed with Internet Explorer lest you trip over a "bad" site. Remember that this exploit can be in email form and with preview enabled, your machine is at risk.

Bob

Collapse -
I understood what you said, but
by eddie11013 / April 3, 2006 2:23 AM PDT
In reply to: The problem is...

the spam blocker on my earthlink OE program stops everything that is "not" from my "address list" and puts "them" in a separate folder, where I usually tell them that it is spam and they get rid of those emails. I never actually get to a 'preview' unless "I" want to. Are you saying that I'm still not protected?
Hopefully, Microsoft will come out with a patch soon. There of course will always be attacks of some sort. I noticed "Donna" in the V&S forum wasn't putting any patch's in and just waiting for Microsoft, although I understand that you can and maybe should disable scripting. Your advise Bob is, I am sure better, just not something I elect to do at this time.
Thanks,
Eddie

Collapse -
No. Not safe (in my opinion.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 2:37 AM PDT

You are relying on your trusted friends won't be infected and slip your machine a mickey.

The exploit I noted is currently unpatched and not being stopped by any firewall, antivirus or such. You become the stopping force.

Your machine, your choice.

Disabling scripting is a good idea or the third party patches but even with those in place we can keep digging up exploits like rocks when you dig postholes in your yard.

To dismiss being vigilent since "of course will always be attacks of some sort" is your choice. I've made mine and as such mostly watch others and their machines have issues. Mine are boring...

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Your Right, Bob. Thanks, my computer is boring also.
by eddie11013 / April 3, 2006 2:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you for the exchange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2006 3:38 AM PDT

By tossing it back and forth the hope is that others lock it up a bit tighter.

Thank you.

Bob

Collapse -
Pre-screen your mail
by becksdark / April 5, 2006 11:14 PM PDT

For quite some time, I have been using Mailwasher...a little utility that's free for a single email account.

It allows you to pre-screen the header and text portions of the email body, then gives you the option of deleting, bouncing and blacklisting emails.

It does it while the emails are still on the server, so you never need to actually retrieve an unwanted email to your computer.

To use it effectively, let it run in your system tray. It will notify you when new emails arrive. Be sure to disable your email client's "automatically retrieve email' feature, so you get a chance to look at them first.

It has saved me a lot af time and trouble.

Collapse -
To answer the specific question. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 3, 2006 7:22 AM PDT

In IE, click View, Layout tab, uncheck the Preview pane.

Collapse -
Oulook Express not IE
by rwilliams79 / April 5, 2006 7:47 PM PDT

I think you meant to say in Outlook Express, View, Layout Tab, Preview

Collapse -
Some Place Along the Line ... Enough is Enough
by plcard / April 5, 2006 9:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Oulook Express not IE

I never have been one of those who winces at every blurb about every new virus that comes along. I'm not a defeatist either. I have surrounded myself with all the bells and whistles I can find and trust. After that, I have to rely upon those programs and a little common sense.

I have yet to be hit by a "nasty" not that I am not more or less vulnerable, but I am over these on-line terrorists controlling my life. They are just like the real live terrorists who keep us on edge constantly by doing nothing.

I suggest you do what I have done. Research the best protection no matter the costs and then forget it. Enjoy the Internet and what it can offer. You can scare yourself everyday with a new this or that which is going to eat up your system or you can enjoy your computer. The choice is up to you.

Now if you are one of those who download a fantastic program like Pest-Patrol or a Norton product and don't keep it updated, you deserve what you are going to get. For the rest of us, just enjoy what technology has to offer. Enough is ENOUGH!!

Collapse -
Enough is NOT enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 5, 2006 10:06 PM PDT

"The vulnerability is caused due to an error in the processing of the "createTextRange()" method call applied on a radio button control. This can be exploited by e.g. a malicious web site to corrupt memory in a way, which allows the program flow to be redirected to the heap.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

NOTE: Exploit code is publicly available."
From secunia...

No known firewall, antivirus stops this exploit.

"In the first half of March -- prior to the release of code showing attackers exactly how to exploit a previously unknown (and currently unpatched) flaw in IE -- Secure Science tracked a single hacker group stealing between 1.5 and 2 megabytes of text data from victims each day (a small novel might take up about 1 megabyte of text data). The company found that a data cache of that size usually contains a mix of roughly 1,000 credit card numbers or login credentials for Web mail and online banking sites."
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/04/real_world_impact_of_internet_1.html

You can avoid all this by closing the preview and using other browsers.

Bob

Collapse -
Use a web service to preview first.
by snottgaard / April 6, 2006 11:07 AM PDT

I check my email using a web service before opening my email client software. I recommend www.mail2web.com where you can preview (by default) any message as text and only by clicking 'view as HTML' will the any code within the message be rendered or executed. I delete all emails I don't need to save before ever opening my client, so I know nothing I don't want will get read.

Collapse -
Get the Big Target off your back
by Gravitas / April 9, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

Years ago when you bought your computer you could only buy software form the computer maker, there was no choice. Later when a choice became possible I and many other savvy administrators would buy software from many different sources. The primary reason was you could buy the best application for the job, the secondary reason was security. True it was sometimes a pain in the neck getting them to co-operate with each other but the up and coming hackers and virus writers had a harder time. I still hold by this philosophy, I removed all of outlook from my systems and use other email systems. There are many around like Eudora, Pegasus and Thunderbird, there are many more. None of these suffer from the same problems that Outlook does, they don't share microsoft code (another plus). I also have disabled IE, I've not found a way of removing it altogether as some software uses some of it's code ( not smart Adobe).

For a browser use Firefox or Opera, although they have flaws they are not as bad as IE and they are a smaller target.

By not using Microsoft applications it takes the Big Target off of your back. Sure it requires a little extra work but just think of losses and the work you'd have to do if you are hit by one of these malware attacks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.