Computer Help forum

General discussion

Email on WiFi network

by dblois / November 9, 2006 5:45 AM PST

When I am on a WiFi network, my email does not send. I have set up a new email account, and POP works fine. However, unless I have the exact smtp link of the server that is handling the WiFi, I get an email rejection message when I attempt to send email.

Is there any generic smtp address that I should be using?

My email works fine, both sending and receiving when I'm hard wired to my router.

Windows XP, SP2, using Outlook for email.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Email on WiFi network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Email on WiFi network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Using Outlook.. The EXACT SMTP Server Address...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2006 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: Email on WiFi network

...is always required.. It shouldn't change and can be configured into the Outlook account information from Tool/Option/E-mail Accounts/View or Change exiting accounts/highlight the account, choose "Change". The smtp server should stay fixed. For example: "smtp.netzero.net" is always that...How are you changing it to make it work when it's not?

If the sending properties aren't making it out through the wi-fi signal, you'll need to check on the router or software firewall to make sure it's allowing Outlook through.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Outlook for email
by dblois / November 13, 2006 3:33 AM PST

When hard-wired, my home email "smtp" works fine. However, when on wi-fi, unless I actually enter the "smtp" of the server to which I am connected, my McAfee virus-scan will block the outgoing email and return a protocol error.

Collapse -
Check firewall settings for each Network interface
by Seaspray0 / November 13, 2006 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook for email

You may different settings on your firewall for your network interfaces... one being your hard wired network card, the other being your wireless network card. That would explain why you can send mail through one interface but not the other.

Collapse -
Firewall settings
by dblois / November 27, 2006 12:49 AM PST

I have set the firewall settings to the default settings. Should there be different settings for Wi-Fi and/or LAN?

Collapse -
Ahhhh...Another Clue..McAfee...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 13, 2006 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook for email

Telling us the exact version of McAfee that you are using would really help. In the meantime, maybe the links below will help:

The "Protocol Error" issue has come up a couple of times in the McAfee forums and only occurs with Microsoft Outlook. Some of the problem lies in the Outlook settings. Check this one as there are a couple of good areas to check:
McAfee Forums Subject: Protocol Error

Another possibility:
Cannot send email after upgrading to VirusScan 11.0.213

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
McAfee version
by dblois / November 27, 2006 12:42 AM PST

McAfee version is 10.0.27

Collapse -
And Did You Try??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 27, 2006 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: McAfee version

...the suggestions in the "Protocol Error" link I provided above?

It should help.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.