Windows 7 forum

Question

email links not opening browser

by Learner7 / February 24, 2013 3:07 AM PST

OS Windows 7, Toshiba satellite new
When I click on a web link in emails (thunderbird) the browser does not respond (firefox), I have to copy and paste it every time.

When I transferred all my data over to Windows 7 the message said it would put all my downloads into libraries - downloads, but it didn't, nor did it transfer my pictures into the pictures folder. There is no downloads fold in libraries anyway. Can I create one?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: email links not opening browser
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: email links not opening browser
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try right-clicking links, then click open in...
by wpgwpg / February 24, 2013 3:42 AM PST

MS apparently decided to change the way clicking on links works, but I've found that if you right-click one, you get the options to open in a new tab or new window. That's easier than copy & paste.
Regarding putting the downloads folder in libraries, just right-click Libraries, then click NEW and add it. Remember that what you see in Libraries is just shortcuts to the real thing, so don't think you've got duplicate folders.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Links to web pages
by Learner7 / February 24, 2013 11:01 PM PST

No, I have already tried right clicking and using that option, but it doesn't work. The trouble is I wanted to connect today to a link that did not give the web site address, just a box to click. when I held the mouse over it, the site was detailed at the bottom left of the screen, so I wrote it down, (as it couldn't be copied) then typed it into the browser, and despite me checking to make sure it was accurate, it would not connect, google came up to say it couldn't find the site.

Collapse -
llinks not opening browser
by Learner7 / February 26, 2013 1:47 AM PST
In reply to: Links to web pages

I have tried everything recommended here and from an older Cnet request, but it still does not work. Updated Internet Explorer to v. 10 in case that had any influence on Firefox. Its a nightmare when links are hidden behind boxes, I was sent an email to verify something, but the Click in the email was in a coloured square. When I pointed at the square I could see the link in the bottom left hand of the screen, but it cannot be copies, so I wrote it out by hand, double checked it was accurate and then typed it into the browser but it would not activate. In the end I forwarded the email to my old computer and completed the verification there.

Collapse -
Answer
This was my fix to your issue
by tallin / February 26, 2013 2:35 AM PST

I had the same issue using Chrome > Windows 7 some time ago. Below was the answer to it:

As follows:

Start > All Programs > Expand Chrome > right click on Chrome.exe > Properties > Compatibility > enable "Run this program in compatibility mode" > In the drop down menu choose Windows 7 > apply > OK.

Mine was set on Windows XP but of course I am using Windows 7. You would need to choose whichever operating system and browser you are using of course.

kind regards,

Collapse -
Chrome did not help either
by Learner7 / February 27, 2013 6:07 AM PST

I installed Google Chrome, but it does not help. Any email with an link that is not fully shown, i.e. all letters and numbers and www. etc cannot be accessed at all. A box with 'Click' in it, just reveals the address at the bottom left hand corner of the screen, but the moment I move the mouse away from the box, the address disappears. I have tried writing it out carefully and equally carefully typing the link into the browser but it won't connect. I have had to forward my emails to another computer, for my friend to connect, and then email the www address back to me so I can access it, and that works. But very annoying for the time wasting. Can it be something wrong with Windows 7 ?

Collapse -
Firstly my problem, then the answer to it
by tallin / February 27, 2013 12:18 PM PST

Since using Chrome (Windows 7) when I get an email notification that someone has replied to a post and click on the site included in the email to access the OP's reply, all I get is a page opening in Chrome with 'untitled' as the heading. My way around this is to right click on the link in the email > copy shortcut > open Chrome > paste and the site loads. Can anyone guide me to a fix for this annoying issue as I really like Chrome and do not want to change browsers.

If I have Chrome open and click on the OP's link in the email the link will load. My older laptop using XP and Chrome opens the links in the emails whether I have Chrome open or not! I have posted this request on other forums with no fix to the issue.This issue is not serious enough to create a new profile so I have not done that.Thank you,kind regards,
<div>
After much research now the fix for the above issue

Finally found the answer to this issue.

As follows:

Start > All Programs > Expand Chrome > right click on Chrome.exe > Properties > Compatibility > enable "Run this program in compatibility mode" > In the drop down menu choose Windows 7 > apply > OK.

Mine was set on Windows XP but of course I am using Windows 7. You would need to choose whichever operating system you are using of course.

The reason I posted both my problem and the fix for it was I did not understand Learner7 last reply nor if it is the same problem that I once had.

kind regards,
</div>

Collapse -
'hyperlinks' not opening
by Learner7 / February 28, 2013 5:48 PM PST

I tried all the Google Chrome stuff, but that didn't work.
I also tried Microsoft Community for help. And this came back today:

"When you click a hyperlink in Microsoft Outlook, you receive one of the following error messages, depending on your Outlook version
The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator
Your organization's policies are preventing us from completing this action for you. For more info, please contact your help desk."

and then underneath
"To have us fix this problem for you, go to the "Fix it for me" section. If you prefer to fix this problem yourself, go to the "Let me fix it myself" section."

I can't do any of that, as the Fix it for me in blue and underlined are both hyperlinks, and if I send the email to my friend to access, she might end up with her computer fixed!! So there is obviously a solution for this, and hopefully someone knows what it is ? Also I am not using Outlook, but Thunderbird. In any case its immaterial as hyperlinks in ordinary documents don't work either. And also I do not receive any notifications from Cnet, so l keep checking with your web site, so it looks as though my computer may be blocking notifications too.

Collapse -
Re: hyperlink doesn't work
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 28, 2013 7:03 PM PST

What is your setting for the default program to handle the http: protocol? That's the only thing that matters now you tell that links in documents don't work either.
Just in case you don't know how to answer the question, have a look at http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+7+default+program+protocol

Notifications from CNET are just e-mail. So whatever the reason that you don't receive them, it's totally unrelated.

Kees

Collapse -
"setting for ......"
by Learner7 / March 1, 2013 2:37 AM PST

I simply do not understand "setting for the default program.......http: protocol" means at all. I looked at some of the links, but its all way above me, I did not lay hands on a computer until I was nearly 60 and its been a struggle all the way. Now I am completely out of my depth, but you can't buy a new computer without some different operating system being put into it. It seems Windows 7 has beaten me into a corner, and I do not know what to do about it.

Collapse -
Then consider ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: "setting for ......"

to take your laptop with you to a (repair) shop (or the shop where you bought) it and ask them to check it. They certainly understand what "can you check the default program for handling the http:-protocol" question, especially if you make a printout of this thread for them.

It may well be that the setting is OK and it still doesn't work. Then probably they'll suggest to do a 'restore to factory conditions'. If you can't do that yourself, they'll be glad to do it for you, but it won't be free.
Be sure you have a (backup) copy of everything you don't want to lose (on a USB-stick, an external hard disk or somewhere on web-storage, preferably 2 out of these three) and also be sure that you know how to put it back on your laptop if you get it back. Factory conditions means the laptop is exactly the same is it was when you bought it.

Best of luck,

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
A recap for me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 1, 2013 2:55 AM PST

When I encounter this issue I do two things.

1. Set the default browser back to IE. Yes this fails your requirement to launch another browser but we need to get it working again.

2. If step 1 fails I use this old association fix for HTM/HTML because doing it manually is a pain. I will not talk folk through the association or defaults any longer. Some take offense at that but here's the quick association fix I use.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/19449-default-file-type-associations-restore.html shows the fixes for HTM and HTML along with instructions. Again some find offense at this as I don't duplicate the work at that page.

If the above fails it is possible that some antivirus or other setting is blocking the links. That's beyond the scope of what I'll write about today. That is, this is not a stock install and the antivirus company deserves all those calls it gets.
Bob

Collapse -
file extensions
by Learner7 / March 2, 2013 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: A recap for me.

I am sorry I just don't understand, what file extensions are about or what I need? I am really confused, I have read through the link, downloaded and copied the instructions into a document, and pasted and copied all the extensions, but I don't know what one, (or more?) to choose.
My computer is less than two weeks old, I phoned the suppliers, who put me through to Toshiba, who put me through to some other organisation that wanted to be paid to put it right! Surely its not unreasonable to expect the software on a new computer to operate properly ?

Collapse -
Re: file extensions
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: file extensions

File extensions are the things after the last full stop in the filename you see if you turn off the default hiding of file types in the folder options. Like .doc for a Word document, and .jpg for a picture.

Surely it's reasonable to expect a 2 weeks old computer to work. But I doubt if it came with Thunderbird, so you have had 2 weeks to mess it up. And it's possible you did.

What I should do now is go back to factory conditions (the user manual should tell how) and immediately see if it works correctly if you type a link (like http://www.cnet.com) in a new Wordpad document and click on it (after checking that it works in Internet Explorer, of course). If it does, your problem (" hyperlinks in ordinary documents don't work") seems to be solved.
If that doesn't work it should be fixed under warranty, and if they don't do that you should return the machine. But my guess is that it will work.

Kees

Collapse -
Re install
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: Re: file extensions

Thanks so much for your patience. I have made IE10 the default browser, but the links don't come up in that either! But I will do as you say and start all over again. Now I see the reason for making the backup disks! Thank goodness I did that.

Collapse -
That was only one of the steps I wrote about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Re install

It seems a shame to start over when what is a common problem and a series of steps usually fixes it.

Then again, it could be something we don't know such as the PRIVACY SHIELD in some Antivirus that is blocking this.
Bob

Collapse -
HELP !!!
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 2:23 AM PST

I put disk 1 in of the recovery disks and it won't open even though I set disks to work automatically. And I don't know which of the folders/files to open, BIN, BOOT, PLANFOLDER, SOURCES, ZZimages, !v6_00-03.VRP, BOOTMGR, DATA, PLANDATA

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:26 AM PST
In reply to: HELP !!!

But that does not look familiar to me. That appears to be a restore disc and usually we boot from such. But then again I missed the make and model so I can't look into this.

If you are having restore trouble, start a new post because it's a new topic and you want the best help.
Bob

Collapse -
Install Disk
by Learner7 / March 3, 2013 2:34 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

Its a Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-1ER Intel Core i5-321OMPSCBXE

re: second reply, will try that too!

Collapse -
Re: help
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: HELP !!!

You put in disk 1 of the recovery disks and reboot. Then it should work. If not, go into the BIOS setup and check if the disk is set as the first boot device.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.