Desktops forum

General discussion

Emachines T6212: I need help disabling the on-board video!

by weisguy119 / June 5, 2005 4:26 PM PDT

I just upgraded to an ati x700 pro and can't figure out the bios menu (i can get to the bios - i just don't understand it). There's no specific mention of on-board video that i can see (just a bunch of bios acronyms). Obviously, i'm no computer expert and would appreciate if someone could tell me EXACTLY how to disable the on-board video on this machine. It's a stock machine from Circuit City, so all stock system information applies. Thanks, in advance!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emachines T6212: I need help disabling the on-board video!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emachines T6212: I need help disabling the on-board video!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re

first off dont put in the card yet. boot to ur desktop then go to control panel. go to system and hardware then device manager. go to display adapter and right click on whatever is there and click disable. once uve done dis...shut down. open ur case then install the new gfx card. then follow instructions from card manufacturer.

also just out of curiosity, y did u go with an ati x700 when a nvidia 6600gt performs better and is cheaper.

Collapse -
Re: Video card.
by stonehkm / June 5, 2005 6:04 PM PDT
In reply to: re

You mentioned why he was using an X700 vs an nvidia 6600GT. Both eMachines and the mobo manufacturer, MSI, STRONGLY recommend that any video card installed should be ATI based and NOT nvidia!

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / June 6, 2005 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Video card.

"You mentioned why he was using an X700 vs an nvidia 6600GT. Both eMachines and the mobo manufacturer, MSI, STRONGLY recommend that any video card installed should be ATI based and NOT nvidia!"

ALL MANUFACTURERS WILL RECOMMEND YOU NOT TO INSTALL A NVIDIA CARD IN A MACHINE WITH ATI GRAPHICS (INTEGRATED/CARD), and the reverse. SOMEONE has already installed a 6600GT in the emachines t6212 without a problem on this forum. There's no problem with using a nvidia card in a ati chipset/reverse.

Roger

Collapse -
Re: Video Card
by John Robie / June 6, 2005 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Video card.

Should also be noted a slight bias since the mobo MSI RS480M2-IL (7093) has the ATI Radeon Integrated (on board) graphics, so naturally puts in the box (as other have indicated) a discount coupon for an ATI PCIe graphics card. The mobo has a PCI-Express x16 graphics slot and can accept a Nvidia PCI-Express card which should perform without any problems.

Collapse -
Re: ATI vs NVIDIA
by stonehkm / June 6, 2005 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Video Card

John Robie, I respect your posts here. You always prove to be well researched. However, I will NEVER post a suggestion that goes against a manufacturers recommendations while it is still under warranty. The ATI X700 is a very good card and for the marginal difference between it and the nvidia, why go against manufacturer recommendations?
I own a recently purchased T6212, the same as mentioned in the "disable onboard graphics" question and have added 1 gig of Corsair dual channel memory and an ATI based ABIT RX600PRO. I have not tried to o/clock and I have yet to find something the video can't do and my card is one step below the X700!
I watch streaming video and do video editing and the X600PRO is perfect. The X700 goes one better.

Keith.

Collapse -
ATI vs Nvidia.....
by John Robie / June 7, 2005 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: ATI vs NVIDIA

Have indicated several times the T6212 is a good buy for the $ and was one of the first to recommed it on these CNet forums. The ATI X600Pro and X700 video cards are fine cards and beats the heck out of the ATI 300 cards that Dell was giving as standard for some of their computers. I personally would not argue that the 6600GT is a better card than the X700. It is natural that a recommendation for a ATI card would be made because of the motherboard having ATI Integrated (on board) graphics. The majority of Integrated graphics on modern computers are Intel and I have never heard of those PC's recommending Nvidia cards. You do, however have a good point concerning the warranty, and would be something to check out with Emachine. One of my older computers is a Emachine that I have never had trouble with. I took one of Best Buy's lowest cost add on warranties at the time of purchase, and had one of their 'Geek' guys install upgrades inside before I took the PC home for the wife.

Collapse -
Emachines T6212 ATI X200 to X700 PRO graphics card upgrade
by weisguy119 / June 5, 2005 6:13 PM PDT
In reply to: re

I already put the X700 in. What should I do now?

Collapse -
Disable onboard video.
by stonehkm / June 5, 2005 6:18 PM PDT

I believe you can still disable it using nerdyboy's instructions. Worst case may be having to reinstall the X700:)

Collapse -
This is what I did
by RielTime / June 7, 2005 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Disable onboard video.

Control Panel> Add Remove Programs> Uninstall ATI Software Utility.
After I did this, everything was gone. I have the Gateway 827GM which has the same Mother Board. I contemplated with installing a NVIDIA card but opted against it and installed the X700 Pro. No complaints and no headaches so far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.