Desktops

General discussion

Emachines T6212

by leskills / April 7, 2005 7:06 AM PDT

Okay, let me preface this by saying I don't know a ton about computers. I was planning on purchasing the T5026, but now I'm leaning towards the T6212.

I noticed the T5026 processor speed was 3.06 GHz and the T6212's was 2.0 GHz. I know one is Intel and the other is AMD, but is the 3.06 vs. 2.0 a cause for concern if I buy the T6212?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emachines T6212
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emachines T6212
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not necessarily...
by twesterh / April 7, 2005 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Emachines T6212

Without getting technical, (one, because I can't, and two, if I could you probably wouldn't understand) let's just say that AMD was first to stop labeling its processors based solely on the processing "speed" because they realized that there were other things they could do to the processor, besides bumping up the processing speed, that would increase it's actual processing power. A lot of people dissed AMD for doing this but now even Intel labels it's processors using "model numbers" and not just by their processing speed. Has it made it more confusing? Sure, but as processors, and their contruction and componetry, got more complicated so did rating their "power" and speed.

Suffice to say, there are other things going on besides just the core processing speed that affect the true rating of a processor. If you really want to know more, I think you're just going to have to do more research, or talk to someone in the know and who you trust.

Collapse -
Yes...
by jrmar07 / April 8, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Not necessarily...

Twesterh is exactly right.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_9485_9487%5E9492,00.html
Although that is an older P4, it gives you an idea about the things that AMD does differently with their chips. Core speed is not the determining factor for processing power. I'm running a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ at 2.2 Ghz and I can tell you that it's faster than my old 2.8 Ghz P4 Dell.
"Athlon XP processors don't quite live up to their performance rating in the model numbers (the 2800+, for example, is more on a par with a 2.6GHz P4)," Cnet editor's desktop buying guide.
I would certainly trade a Intel 3.06 P4 for a AMD Athlon XP 64 3200+ without even thinking. Go for it.

Plus a 64 bit Windows is on the way since Microsoft relased a beta version of XP Pro for 64 bit.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/default.mspx

Collapse -
Agreed
by hops--2008 / April 8, 2005 9:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes...

Let me also stat that the bus speed on the T6212 makes up for the 2.2Ghz running at 2000Mhz plenty of speed for that gamer on a tight budget. My allowance was $1550 on just the tower but only spent a third of that for this machine----throw in a Radaeon x700 pro and your ready to rock.

1 year ago you could not pay me to take an emachine, but they have come along way in a short time

Collapse -
eMachines T6212
by t4runner911 / April 10, 2005 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Emachines T6212

I just bought a T6212, and it is quite awesome. Yes, the integrated radeon x200 graphics has something more to be desired but it can still play most games at medium settings pretty decently. I am having like 2 problems with it though. eMachines has come out with this thing where they want you to pretty much back up the recovery partition of the harddrive to CD-Rs that they have included with the system. Well when you get it started up and it asks you to do this, it gives you the option of burning it to a DVD instead so i did that instead. After it burns it, it trys to finalize it and the system just locks up and the HDD light just stays on. Tried this several times. Also, I have a USB keyboard and mouse that i hooked up to instead with the packaged keyboard and mouse and sometimes it will type characters im not typing and when you are using the mouse it will click it places you dont click. Its weird. Also noticed that the onboard audio has "background" click and thump noises when playing a game or mp3. I have updated windows and all the drivers and doesnt help this. Seems like there might be something wrong with the motherboard. I guess i will have to call emachines about this. But other than that it is pretty fast.

Collapse -
emachines T6212 problem?
by Comp2005 / April 11, 2005 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: eMachines T6212

I also purchased the emachines T6212 and attempted to create a recovery disk. I also chose to record onto a DVD rather than the CD-Rs that they have included with the system. It appeared to do the first two parts of the burn normally, however when it tried to finalize the DVD it also locked up and the HDD light also just stayed on. Have not been able to create restore disk. Why don't they just give you a restore disk.

What is the deal with this finalizing process or the emachine 6212? Please help!

Collapse -
Another T6212 problem.
by stonehkm / April 11, 2005 7:49 PM PDT

I would wait a few weeks before buying this machine!
An experienced salesman at the local BestBuy store said they are "discouraging" the purchase of this model for now. They have had to replace a significant number of hard drives. His theory was that the 160gig ATA100 HDDs are old inventory that eMachines used (saves money)and they have a high failure rate. I am staying in touch with him and he will let me know when the problem is fixed. I asked him about the back up disks and he said the DVD won't work, but the CD-Rs work fine:) I plan to buy one as soon as the HDD problem is fixed. Best bang for the buck I have seen, even when you add the cost of a much needed video card!

Collapse -
Another T6212 problem.
by Big Steve / April 11, 2005 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Another T6212 problem.

Sorry to ask but how or when will you know if the HD problem has been fixed in these machines? I too was considering buying an EMachine T6212 but will hold off for now.

Can I expect to read later posts in this forum which will indicate that the problem has been fixed by EMachine and how we would be able to confirm that the problem had indeed been fixed by EMachine?

Some time ago I considered purchasing a desktop PC from a company named Velocity Micro; their budget model; the model number I don't recall. Should I reconsider purchasing from Velocity Micro now that this HD issue on the T6212 has been brought to light?

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/12/05

Collapse -
I love my T6212
by golftango / April 12, 2005 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Another T6212 problem.

I've had no issue with the HD or making a recovery DVD. The HD is a Seagate, which from what I understand is a decent HD.

I just put an additional 512MD DDR and a ATI X600 Pro PCI express card and this thing flies!

Collapse -
Talked to emachines tech support
by nacho1162 / April 12, 2005 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: I love my T6212

I called emachines tech support about this problem. I was unable to burn a back up disk as well. They said it's not a hard drive problem, but a software glitch that only affect's this function. They said they are working on correcting it, but they did agree in the mean time to send me a free back up disk within 3-4 days. I was very impressed with thier quick and friendly response. Kind of refreshing after reading all the negative Dell posting's on the forum

Collapse -
Re: Talked to EMachine tech support.
by Big Steve / April 12, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

You will let us know if and when you do receive your free recovery disk from Emachine and where exactly is their tech support located?

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/13/05

Collapse -
I'll let you know
by nacho1162 / April 13, 2005 1:06 AM PDT

I'll let you know when I get it. I believe emachines might be based in San Diego. I know that's where Gateway is based. I just called the number listed on thier website. I know it wasn't some place in India!

Collapse -
Tech support
by lordsaramon / May 27, 2005 2:26 PM PDT

We are located in Salt Lake City, Ut, but most of our products are shipped from California, and it take 3 to 5 buisness days to send them out.

Collapse -
SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH Tech Support
by agrogers / June 16, 2005 11:16 PM PDT

I have five long distance calls on my phone bill to Salt Lake City, Utah. Since I know no one in Salt Lake City, I asked the phone company to tell me who they were to. They said it was eMachine Tech Support. I used the 801 number which was given to me by eMachine. Do not use the 801 number unless you don't mind spending a bundle.

Collapse -
Re: I love my T6212
by stonehkm / April 12, 2005 6:18 PM PDT
In reply to: I love my T6212

You are in good shape, but too high a proportion have had to have HDD problems fixed by BestBuy and Circuit City. I understand that a fix is being arranged with replacement drives installed by the vendor and new deliveries will have an upgraded HDD. I would say that we can buy with confidence in May and I plan to do so:)
The software glitch that prevented a back up DVD being made and forcing you to use CDs is also being fixed. The large vendors have the power to force change...they spend the BIG bucks!

Collapse -
Re: I love my T6212.
by Big Steve / April 12, 2005 8:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I love my T6212

You mentioned in your post that you feel pretty confident that the HDD problem that currently exists in most of the Emachine T6212 models should be corrected by May; I plan to wait as well.

How will I know that I'm buying a new model with the HDD problem having been corrected? Should I be sure to look for a model produced after May 2005?

Will such information be listed on this website once the HDD problem has been corrected? Will a specific named manufacturer's HD be listed as the newer HD that has been installed in later produced machines to insure that the problem has been corrected?

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/13/05

Collapse -
T6212 HDD problem.
by stonehkm / April 13, 2005 6:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: I love my T6212.

If you check with a knowledgable salesperson at Best Buy, they are aware of this problem. The salesperson I am working with is keeping tabs on this and said when it shows it as "available" for instore pickup on their website, we should assume it is fixed. They don't want complaints and repairs. It IS a great machine for the money with a couple of upgrades (video/memory)and I feel confident about investing in one:)

Collapse -
HDD Light Always On
by Chris83 / May 2, 2005 12:20 AM PDT

I purchased this system at Best Buy on Saturday (4-30-05) and spent yesterday setting it up. The system backup (on CD) went pretty well; it got hung up on the second CD, so I had to substitute a new one and it went fine from there.

Anyway, my hard drive access light is ALWAYS flashing, and I can hear a repetitive noise inside the tower, almost akin to a respirator going on and off...I hope that doesn't prove to be a sadly prophetic analogy (haha).

Is that normal? I've never seen it on any other PC I've used.

Collapse -
No problems here...
by twesterh / April 13, 2005 5:58 AM PDT

I used the CD-R option and didn't have any problems. I'm glad I didn't try the DVD-R because that would seriously have ruined my day...

Add another 512mb RAM if you haven't. It will really fly! I also upgraded the sound card and will upgrade the video card soon.

trw.

Collapse -
t6212 problems
by t4runner911 / April 14, 2005 5:20 PM PDT

First off, I do have to admit that eMachines has made an awesome machine. I just think they were soo eager to get it out the public before they fixed all of the little quarks such as the recovery media creator when using a DVD. I have had no problems with the HDD at all, but is a little noisy. I plan on buying the extended warranty from emachines. As for the jittery wireless mouse, it still acts weird. Its fine when im working around in Windows but for playing cursor-detailed games like The Sims and SimCity4 I just use the included wired mouse. The drivers that have shipped with these are out of date too, like way out of date.....two years for some of them. If you download the most recent catalyst drivers for motherboards/IGP it will give you an error saying that the southbridge is not compatible hardware with the drivers. I found that if you go to www.msi.com.tw and find the motherboard on there and download the drivers from their site and then installing the latest catalyst drivers from ATI it will recognize the southbridge and it will work. Just a few tidbits. I did run 3Dmark2001 and got a score of 5666 (1024x768 32bit on all default settings). I haven't quite looked into how to tweak the graphics settings though.

Collapse -
Re: T6212 problems.
by Big Steve / April 14, 2005 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: t6212 problems

Taking into consideration that others have posted that the new EMachine T6212 seems to have a few problems; something to do with the HD or the DVD drive and now you bring up other problems which you claim that the T6212 also has.

All that I need is a new desktop PC to do word processing; personal finances such as Quicken; surf the internet and to do email. I'm not into gaming; creating videos or digital photography. Would the T6212 in it's present form serve my needs or should I; as others have recommended wait for EMachine to correct the HD or DVD problems that presently exist on their current machines?

If not the T6212; my local Office Depot sells 2 other EMachine models; both have Celeron processors. My question is this; are Celeron processors any good or should I just sit tight and wait for EMachine to correct whatever it is that's wrong with their current series of models of the T6212?

Also the only retailers in my area that sell the T6212 are Circuit City or Best Buy. The Circuit City store is near my home; the Best Buy is in another city about 60 miles to my east. Is one retailer better than the other or are both about the same? Would you buy local from CC or drive 60 miles and buy from BB? Comments please.

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/15/05

Collapse -
Re: T6212
by John Robie / April 15, 2005 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: T6212 problems.
Collapse -
Steve, not to worry
by golftango / April 15, 2005 6:42 AM PDT

If you are seriouly considering a budget PC taht you run run simple programs on, then cost wise the T6216 is your best bet (besides building your own). Again, I have had 0 issues. Right out of the box, it barely needed any XP updates, has the SP2 installed. It was fast to begin with, but I added 512 more MB in memory and upgraded the video card to a Diamond 256MB ATi X600 pro, and it screams now. I run multiple tasks w/o any hesitation. As a matter of fact last night I was running MS Flight Sim '04, Squak Box, Internet Explorer, Outlook and in the background burning a DVD with CloneDVD and it didn't even hickup. Now that eMachines is a Gateway product, you should even feel more comfortable. My last PC was a Gateway and it also ran like a champ (and still is) with the original HD and fans.

I did not regret moving over to the eMachines T6216

Collapse -
Re: T6212
by Big Steve / April 15, 2005 6:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Steve, not to worry

I wasn't aware that EMachine now had a model #T6216.
You were referring to the T6212 weren't you?

Big Steve
End Of Message
04/16/05

Collapse -
Circuit City vs Best Buy
by ihop4no1 / April 28, 2005 5:20 AM PDT

Big Steve,

One store is just as good as the other. I personally check the sales and see who has the better offer. I don't like the fact that Best Buy won't let you "play" with the computers, though. They have this dopy demo onscreen that only a limited number of sales associates can bypass, so you can't really check the properties/settings of the computers.

One final note; If all you're interested in is surfing the net and word processing, I might suggest you order online from someone like Dell. Go with either the Dimension 2000 or 3000. You'll get a system that meets your needs and won't cost a lot of dough.

Based on what you said your purpose is, I would advise against the T6212 only because it sounds like it's WAY more machine that what you need.

Good luck!

Collapse -
Upgrades for T6212
by Chuckster / April 18, 2005 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: t6212 problems

t4runner911 just a few quick questions, I want to do a few upgrades to the T6212 I just got, going to put 2G of memory in the system (KVR400X64C3AK2/2G), MSI NX6600GT, Audigy2zs, and here are the two big questions, has anyone put SATA drive in yet, I want to be sure the motherboard supports it, I want to put a Raptor drive in this system, second, in time could I upgrade this processor to a 939 3800 or 4000?

Just asking for future reference,

Thanks!

Collapse -
6600GT
by iamtarun / May 25, 2005 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Upgrades for T6212

did u do the upgrade to msi 6600GT pci-e?

is the Powersupply in t6212 enough for the video card.

/arun

Collapse -
power supply
by lordsaramon / May 27, 2005 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: 6600GT

Power supply is 300 wtz. which is a medium power supply, how much does the video card say that it needed

Collapse -
350 +
by iamtarun / May 29, 2005 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: power supply

most of the manufacturers quote 350+..(atleast this is what i read in forums)

Collapse -
T6212 Problems HELP PLEASE
by cshmny / April 27, 2005 7:55 PM PDT

I also had the problem making a restore disc on DVD, but I got the message that my Disc was not empty. It was a brand new Disc. So, I cancelled out and tried to drag and drop some files onto the DVD, and Windows had some troubles copying the files. The weird part is that I had the My Computer Window open, and the second that I dragged and dropped files onto my DVD RW Drive it changed into a CD RW Drive! So, I called tech support and they told me that I had to FORMAT the Hard Drive!!! I just unpacked this thing yesturday!
Another strange thing is that in the Nero Software that is bundled there is a was to "Get System Info". When I do this I see in the "Hardware" Tab that my Bus Speed is 199Mhz. The Box and all of the literature says 2000Mhz. Am I missing something? I also did a scan on pcpitstop.com and verrified this.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Collapse -
T6212 HELP SERIOUS PROBLEMS
by agrogers / May 14, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

My T6212 is two weeks old from Circuit City. Mine also shows BUS CLOCK 199. Support verified it should be 1600 or 2000. Mine also takes over four minutes to boot. Then after boot is extremely slow. I talked with support three times. The first time I was disconnected in the middle, the second time I was disconnected. The third time the woman suggested I reformat and reload from my disk. She hung up while I was reformating. I noticed when I first booted it said I needed to update a bunch. This took several hours and still it is slow to boot and run. Looks like I will be forced to purchase an extended warranty. Any suggestions

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.