Desktops

General discussion

eMachines ET1331G-03W Video Upgrade

by satrain18 / November 29, 2009 9:31 PM PST

I plan on buying s eMachines ET1331G-03W from Walmart. I know it has intergrated video(GeForce 6100), but i plan on buying a video card and a 500W PSU sometime in the near future. Do anybody have any experience upgrading a eMachines, and if so, tell me about your experiences.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eMachines ET1331G-03W Video Upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eMachines ET1331G-03W Video Upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pretty much the same
by Willy / November 29, 2009 10:22 PM PST

Emachines are just like any other typical system out there just with their logo on it. Excluding any special build, expect the PSU and video card to work when you buy them. The system specs will determine for sure what you need(verify), those upgrades will work provided those too aren't too unique in any way. If the system has a PCI-e slot then you have the ability to upgrade great, if not, then only a PCI video card will do. Your main worry about the PSU usually is physical size and connector types(they match and offer more). The PSU specs will be decal/sticker on the PSU side.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Great Buget Machine!!!
by Macoo2 / January 23, 2010 3:38 PM PST

I got one from Wal Mart and it scored a 3.4 out of the box on performance test. I added a ATI 4670 1G ddr3 video card for 65 bucks. and score went to 6.00. I have yet to load a game it's won't play at a decent speed with graphics set to high. The 300w power supply ran the card find but I put in a 500w for 35 bucks just to be safe and have some headroom. Also the motherboard will handle a quad core. No DDR3, Raid or extra PCI slot for SLI only drawback for upgrading. But for 400 bucks and with windows7 home premium I'm very pleased.. I've had this unit for 3 months now and have not been able to make it crash.. Can't say enough about how much I like Window7, but that's a different review.

Collapse -
Removing drivers when upgrading video card
by kakaze11 / February 2, 2010 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Great Buget Machine!!!

When you upgraded the video card did you need to remove the Nvidia drivers already on the machine before you plugged in the card and installed the new drivers or can you just put in the card without removing anything?

Collapse -
does not work here
by LostKenji / April 13, 2010 5:11 AM PDT

i got the emachine ET1331G-05W and changed out the power sorce with a coolermaster 650w i have now tried 3 video cards 2 Nvidia galaxy 9500gt's and now the Nvidia GT220 and after windows 7 reinstalls the drivers these cards do not work after contacting emachine support i am told they do not cover issues like this then i contacted microsoft and they told me to contact the people at emachine (anyone noticing a pattern yet?) so yes upgrading the card is possible but it would seem i (an aggressive computer builder since 1997) am missing something anyone have any pointers before i pay someone to fix this or return this PC

Collapse -
same problem did you find help
by wernerII / February 17, 2011 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: does not work here

I have the same system and gat a GT 220 card. I'm having the same problem. Did you find help. Thanks

Collapse -
GT220 Galaxy Video Card Drivers from INVIDIA
by jimandsherri / August 26, 2011 11:52 PM PDT

Go to the Invidia Site. Those Drivers for this Card (GT220)....You should have no problem with windows 7 and this card. I have been running the gt 220 Galaxy card on this machine and It works Great.....

Collapse -
try this
by bassman20113 / December 26, 2012 6:00 PM PST
In reply to: does not work here

I put a 500 watt power supply in and a ati radeon 6770 and I get very good results,skyrim and bf3 work great at good frame rates, video is awesome!!!

Collapse -
from 300w to 500w in my ET1331G Emachine
by Hernan Padilla / April 16, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

how do I add a 500w power supply to my emachine ET1331G?

Collapse -
500 watt psu?
by bassman20113 / December 26, 2012 6:11 PM PST

its very easy just pull the old one out, new psu come with many more hookups than youll prob use, but after you hook up the drives and motherboard you may have to hook up the 8 pin cable to your video card to power it....and I presume you will be getting one for this purpose,i recommend the ati radeon 6770 1g with ddr5 memory with two processers working at 4,8 ghz

Collapse -
Will this power supply work with this machine?
by ed_woodjr / July 22, 2010 6:09 AM PDT

Replacement for my ET1331G-03W eMachine? I'm a bit scared I'll miss something on the specs of the power supply I"m looking at and it won't work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339025

If not can someone link a me a fairly cheap yet good power supply (500w at least) that will work with this machine.

Thanks!

Collapse -
500w PSU for the ET1331G-05
by Jstce118 / July 28, 2010 12:03 PM PDT

What was the model number and where do i get a 500W power supply for my Emachine ET1331g-05?

Collapse -
E-Machine ET1331G-05w
by orsric / August 22, 2010 5:48 AM PDT

The other day I called technical support because I was having software issues on my "E-Machine ET1331G-05w". While I purchased this computer because of the reputation that "E-Machines" used to have for being very easy to maintain I have always been worried about the fact that there was no backup or restore disk for the software that should have came with this machine. The particular problems I was having, and am currently having with this PC have really made me re-think the reputation that "E-Machine" as well as "Acer" should have in today's market. After all, when I spent my hard earned money for this machine not even 6 months ago, the only tech support that I received was to help me register this computer. So far even by following the instructions for making a backup disk using blank DVD's I have gone through at least 4 packs of approximately 30 -60 of these and as I found out the other day apparently, their business practices of making a product that doesn't have a very high standard of consumer responsibility to profit at the expense of the people. I have taken some steps and even spent money that I couldn't afford to go out and try to buy a program that would remove some of the issues that I am currently having .
I am quite aware of what it takes to put programs onto a computer. Although the other day was my first technical issue that I had to call for assistance on, I was shocked 1st at the below level of technical standards the first person I talked with and I was just as equally shocked at how little they put a value on someone who has spent the amount of money on their products in the past. I feel for all those poor people that I have recommended their products to as well in the past.
I will be telling those who I speak with as well as the BBB about, how thier company deals with people who can't afford to pay for things that where supposed to be and should have been included with the merchandise they purchased for around $400.00 plus $100.00 for a new monitor; this might not sound like alot to some people but its an extreme amount for someone on a VERY limited budget. This could of kept the household running for around 2-3 months. In today's economy I would think that they would want to keep their customers at least where they would buy their products in the future. I know that they care little about the public. I'm just letting you know that with this type of customer care they will not see any profit from me and I will make it a point to tell as many as I can just how this company does business.

Collapse -
Re: E-Machine ET1331G-05w by orsric
by Kamikazi2142 / January 11, 2011 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: E-Machine ET1331G-05w

i read your whole complaint, but did you know that your eMachine has a built in hidden restore partition? It is labeled in the Disk Management program as "Recovery Partition" It also does not have a Drive path letter, thus preventing you from Formatting it within windows. I agree with you that eMachines tech support sucks, they even say that their only required job is to make sure you buy stuff from them. All end user issues are left to the user. So that being said, if you own an eMachine, you better know your computers.

I realize i just necro'd this thread, but some things that are left unsaid must be said.

Basically if you want to restore this machine:
During Start Up, find the F button that activates the restore operation...
i remember with my old HP laptop it was F8, idk if it is the same for eMachines.

to those of you who are having restoration issues i hope this helped you. Now a days i don't even think about CD's for system restore, i look more in the HDD for a partition for the System Restore.

Collapse -
Re: eMachines ET1331G-03W Video Upgrade
by Kamikazi2142 / January 11, 2011 8:52 AM PST

I have the exact model, i have done extensive upgrades, i added another 80GB HDD that i had from a PS3 a while ago. i read up in TomsHardware forums that this is a perfect machine for gamers who are inexperienced in building their own rigs. basically all it needs is a CPU, PSU and graphics upgrades. That being learned, i threw in a VisionTek ATI Radeon HD 5670, a 700W PSU, and a Phenom II 555 BE 3.2Ghz CPU. i now play COD:Black Ops at max details (medium online thanks to WiFi lag).

The MoBo is capable of 800Mhz RAM and accepts up to 89W power draw from a CPU, hence the 235e Stock CPU.

so, upgrade the Graphics to your desired card, remember you cannot do SLI/Crossfire since the MoBo only has one x16 slot. There is plenty of space for even a huge Graphics card, someone put a huge one in theirs on TomsHardware.com and it works well for them. the MoBo is awesome too, its an AM2, but since all AM3 CPU's are backwards compatible to AM2/AM2+ its not a major issue. it comes with 6 gigs of RAM but goes up to 8 gigs. and i haven't even noticed a significant increase in the RAM temps.

i do however worry for the GPU, it reaches 62C which is freakin hot. Which is why i'm going to invest in a Water Cooling system soon.

If you have Facebook you can see my mods to it.
I replaced that awfully bright green LED with a dimmer red LED.

total price for upgrades and base system in the end?
ET1331G-03W MSRP = $398
AMD Phenom II 555 BE = $89.99 <from Amazon
Coolmax 700W PSU = $59.99 <from Amazon
VisionTek Radeon HD 5670 = $149.99 <from BestBuy
Total = $687.97

Doing a bit of research, putting together this computer with equal or lesser value part from Newegg (common gamer store) the results are similar but not exact in specs, i don't even know if it will work together, and yest it would be cheaper without the extra PSU and CPU, but thats what you get with the ET1331G-03W.
The price i came to with shipping is $690.98... but i tried to only get the cheapest garbage that a gamer wouldn't even look at, to mock up the stock ET1331G-03W. Then adding the price of what i upgraded. Yes, the mobo in the ET1331G-03W is worth $5 to me.

I hope this comes very helpful to many users of this Computer. Yes my review/experience is a long one, but if you read through it, then you know, its one heck of a deal. My windows Experience index is 5.9 but no one cares about the HDD rating. my CPU is 6.6, the Memory (i haven't touched) is 7.1, the Graphics are 7.0

Collapse -
a bit of extra detail
by Kamikazi2142 / January 11, 2011 9:20 AM PST

When installing the Graphics card i was unsure of what to do, i knew i had to disable the onbaord GPU, so i did that in the BIOS, i have not had any issues with drivers, since, after Disabling the onboard GPU the device disappears from the Device Manager list. The ATI Drivers and installation went without a hitch thereon, i had one issue with an insufficient PSU that i had, it was a 400W what the Graphics card said for minimum, but upon further research i found that the GPU itself will require 300 to 400, so i went to a 700.

If you have any issues with the onboard GFX i recommend disabling it through the BIOS.

Collapse -
My experience
by BKA320 / January 28, 2011 6:27 AM PST

I know this has already been answered, but for the purpose of anyone else looking at this, I've had an easy time with it. Be aware that the power supply is not big enough to really support any upgrades, so you'll have to upgrade that before anything else, but I was able to do that without a problem.

The only thing I did notice is that getting the back-panel things for the expansion slots pry-ed out was not as easy as it could have been. I've worked with easier expansion slots, but still, I didn't have too many issues with it. The machine is fairly upgradable.

Collapse -
Emchine ET1331G-03w
by b18dog / February 8, 2011 10:34 AM PST

Ok My Emachine Year 2 months old it over heated started smoking Walmart 2 year plan there giving me run around get person come fix it so I'm on my old 7+ year old Emachine T6410 still running ok little slow still working fine I'll never ever buy another one at Walmart

Collapse -
ET1331G-03W
by Randys55 / March 3, 2011 10:24 PM PST

I bought a new ET1331G -03W emachine from Wal-mart 8 months ago for $398. It has an AMD Athlon 2.7 GHz Dual Core processor, 750 GB Hard Drive,
6 GB DDR2 Memory, and Windows 7.
This computer has worked great for what I wanted it for. I don't play games, but I did buy the Microsoft Flight Simulator. It would play the game but only at low Resolution. So, I went online did some research on this machine and found out that upgrading the 350 watt power supply and install a video card would work well.
Once I got to Comp-USA and talked to a very helpful sales person.
I bought a new Ultra LSP 650 Pro Power Supply for $62.00 and then a Galaxy GForce GTS Video Card for $120.00 and also went from 6GB Memory to 8GB memory for $58.00 For a total of $240.00 + the $398.00 cost of the computer that makes the cost $638.00. I installed all of this in less than 20 min's, it was very easy to do. Plug and play.
My Windows experience Index went from 3.2 to 5.9 and this computer is awesome. My $1050 Toshiba Laptop with the i7 processor and 8GB of memory is only 4.9 Index.
It plays the flight simulator at the best settings and works great.
I also added a ViewSonic 22" LED Widescreen Monitor, and a Linksys AE1000 High Performance Wireless Adaptor to make my computer wireless.
Hope this helps people wanting to upgrade your emachine.
Randy in Florida

Collapse -
Im probably late, but i will give you my information.
by DavidIrving / March 21, 2011 5:06 AM PDT

This computer is pretty good. I started with a broken machine, the onboard vga connector was not working, so I put in a nvidia GT 220 1gb ddr2 card. Worked fine, upgraded to a 450w atx psu, then got a HD 6970, and upgraded again to a 650w Coolermaster PSU. Also got a nice cooler for the cpu and upgraded to a phenom x4 (the mobo is AM3 if you didnt know)

I just got a new case and mobo though allowing DDR3, so i am selling my machine with the 450w psu and the gt220.

Over all, the computer served me well. Was definitely worth the money!

Collapse -
Just a update
by DavidIrving / August 27, 2011 2:56 AM PDT

Im still using the same computer, although I upgraded the psu again to a 650w Cooler Master and threw in a EVGA GTX 570. Works great! Although the 235e is a huge bottleneck. Ive been searching for a probable cpu upgrade but am a bit confused as to what the motherboard can handle. Some say only 65w cpus, some say up to 89 or even 99 wat cpus. Ive done some research and ive found that some versions dont have support on the bios for more than 2 cores. Its all very confusing. Im not sure whether to upgrade cpu, or start getting a new case, mobo , cpu and ram.

Collapse -
ET1331G-03W
by Randys55 / March 24, 2011 3:13 AM PDT

I bought a new ET1331G -03W emachine from Wal-mart 8 months ago for $398. It has an AMD Athlon 2.7 GHz Dual Core processor, 750 GB Hard Drive,
6 GB DDR2 Memory, and Windows 7.
This computer has worked great for what I wanted it for. I don't play games, but I did buy the Microsoft Flight Simulator. It would play the game but only at low Resolution. So, I went online did some research on this machine and found out that upgrading the 350 watt power supply and install a video card would work well.
Once I got to Comp-USA and talked to a very helpful sales person.
I bought a new Ultra LSP 650 Pro Power Supply for $62.00 and then a Galaxy GForce GTS 450 Video Card for $120.00 and also went from 6GB Memory to 8GB memory for $58.00 For a total of $240.00 + the $398.00 cost of the computer that makes the cost $638.00. I installed all of this in less than 20 min's, it was very easy to do. Plug and play.
My Windows experience Index went from 3.2 to 5.9 and this computer is awesome. My $1050 Toshiba Laptop with the i7 processor and 8GB of memory is only 4.9 Index.
It plays the flight simulator at the best settings and works great.
I also added a ViewSonic 22" LED Widescreen Monitor, and a Linksys AE1000 High Performance Wireless Adaptor to make my computer wireless.
Hope this helps people wanting to upgrade your emachine.
Randy in Florida

Collapse -
Bought a refurbished ET1331g-03w GREAT in March 2010..Saved
by jimandsherri / August 27, 2011 12:02 AM PDT

These machines are very upgradeable. To me, they seem like kits you find at computer shows/fairs.
I upgraded mine with a new video card (GALAXY GT220) and Power supply (ULTRA LSP 550w) and It runs great. Now it may not be at gamer stage right now, but it does what I need VERY WELL. Photo editing, Streaming video with Netflix etc. This is a great deal. I wanted a windows 7 machine, and this saved me big time over the other units available with half the memory for the same price or MORE!
I reccomend these computers readily.

Collapse -
Trying to add a video to the ET1331g-03w
by 51jsbrown / March 31, 2012 12:11 AM PDT

I know this is kind of old but hope I can get some help. I'm having a heck of a time trying to upgrade the video. I bought an older ATI HD 4670 to try to get better graphics and most importantly to run two monitors and am getting no where. I have removed the drivers of the NVidia onboard GPU (disappears from drivers list). I went to the BIOS. Interesting here in that when I go to the integrated components to disable the integrated video it won't let me select it (it is greyed out and skips past it). I did find another spot to make the PCIE the default on start up. When I reboot (the video cable is first removed and plugged into the new video board) it ignores the PCIE. I can hear the system starting. When I switch the cable back I see that windows is starting. When Windows (7) starts, it reinstalls the old NVidia drivers and I'm right back where I started! One thing I didn't do was a PS upgrade. The fan on the new video card is running. If it didn't get enough power would it ignore the new card? I've installed stuff for many years and dropping in a video card should be the easiest thing on the planet. Power off, install plug-n-play video, power up, install drivers from CD. Done. This is really driving me crazy.

Collapse -
(NT) Without the PS upgrade, iffy to no way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 2:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
New PSU
by 51jsbrown / April 8, 2012 3:57 AM PDT

Removed all display drivers, powered down, dropped in a new PSU, powered back up and the new video is running fine. Apparently enough power to start the Graphics Card fan but that was it. So yes, the PS is a must. Thanks.

Collapse -
Nice result.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 3:40 PM PDT
In reply to: New PSU

You make it sound easy for the next person!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.