Computer Help forum

General discussion

Emachine T6410, Wont load XP...Please Help!

by ilivetowin / March 21, 2009 3:47 AM PDT

Hello CNET Forums,

I recently Emailed Emachines support with the following email describing in detail the problems I was having and they responded with basically screw you, you are out of warrantry so we offer no help to you at all. I am posting the email I sent them along with a detailed report of the problem I was having so hopefully someone here has suggestions on what steps I can take. This is an Emachine T6410 here are the specs
CPU: AMD Athlon? 64 3200+ Processor (512KB L2 cache, 2.2GHz, 1600MHz FSB)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Emachine T6410, Wont load XP...Please Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Emachine T6410, Wont load XP...Please Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just My Opinion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 3:29 AM PDT

Some of the things you're seeing are normal.. When you swapped the 160 GB hard drive into the Dell computer, then installed the operating system, IF the hard drive is good, the OS should install and operating correctly as you are seeing.. BUT you will NOT have success by simply placing it back in a different computer such as the eMachines. Because the installation recognizes the hardware and driver needs from the Dell, it will seldom correctly recognize the motherboard, hardware, and drivers for the second machine.

That said, it appears like you're motherboard is at issue. Yes, it could possibly be a BIOS issue and that's easy to test simply by installing the most current BIOS update for your model. The hard drive works when swapped out and so do all other basic parts of the computer.. My next step, if the updated BIOS doesn't help, would be to replace the motherboard on the eMachines, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall everything from scratch.

Just a note: I've had similar problems here on a few customer's eMachine computers.. Motherboards and power supply issues here..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks grif....
by ilivetowin / March 22, 2009 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just My Opinion...

hey thanks grif,
glad someone responded! Im going to try and flash the bios sometime later today and make sure its up to date, to check the power supply if I can find one that fits are they interchangable from computer to computer? also do you know of any reason the DVD Burner wouldnt recognize in the dell system? Thanks again, its much appreciated, and if I can get the HDD and DVD burner up and running the the DELL I may just scrap the Emachine and I already had the HDD up and running in the DELL so now once I can somehow get the DVD drive to recognize Ill be on track!

Collapse -
I Doubt The Power Supply Is The Problem In Your Case..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 22, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks grif....

It's your choice whether to tinker with such but your description doesn't lead me to think the PS is the issue..

As to the reasons for the DVD burner not working on the Dell, there could be many including a power supply problem, bad connections, incorrect jumper settings if you've already got another drive installed (DVD's need to be "MASTER"), or registry problems which could cause the drive to be MIA. (Google "Remove Upper and Lower filters.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.