Laptops

General discussion

emachine for $199 at Walmart's Black Friday sale - should I?

by ecs44 / November 15, 2010 8:56 AM PST

First let me say that I am not a gamer....I am a teacher who needs a laptop for web browsing, making powerpoints & documents primarily. So...would the special be good? Or are emachines more likely to take a dive sooner than say a compaq?

Thanks for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: emachine for $199 at Walmart's Black Friday sale - should I?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: emachine for $199 at Walmart's Black Friday sale - should I?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
regarding the emachine
by MIbigred / November 19, 2010 10:15 PM PST

I would advise anyone picking up a computer regardless of price that doesn't have the following requirments: intel I-357 series or AMD Athlon 2, Turion 2, or Phenom 2. 3GB of ram and a 250GB hard drive. anything less than that you are asking for trouble. Staples has a very solid 399 laptop.

Collapse -
the emachine does have 250 gig hd and ram of 2 gig an can ra
by T5761 / November 26, 2010 12:58 AM PST
In reply to: regarding the emachine

I got this computer and for home use of sufring, youtub, watch movies and many other things as much as my Toshiba laptop of $700. and this laptop has many the features softwaere, hard were. you cannot go wrong $199.00 for this lap top. has burn DVD/CD player. Net books cost 280 and up , have 1 gig ram and cannot expand. and no dvdv/cd burn or play.
This computer runs nice and is faster then my toshiba. I am pleased with it.

Collapse -
Should be enough for the basics
by rs-reco / November 23, 2010 6:56 AM PST

A few months ago, I purchased 2 Acer 5251's from walmart when they went on sale for $298. These laptops are nearly the same as the e-machines except for the brand name (of course) and processor; acer has the amd v-processor and the e-machines has an intel celeron 900. They have their limits when it comes to gaming, editing and rendering video, but other than that, I haven't had any problems using these laptops to perform any task or run any software, except for Adobe's InDesign and AfterEffects software that would not install due to minimum requirements not being met.

Collapse -
So is the Acer5251 the better buy vs e machine $199 laptop ?
by T5761 / November 23, 2010 9:59 AM PST

From what I saw of the spec's on the emachine it has a lot stuff 250 gig h/d 2 gig ram and can increase much higher. Wi-fi. burn dvd/cd, win ver 7 home, 3 hr battery. 15.6 lcd screen . Was nice sharp picture on it. 64 bit. And a hole list of spce's. For my needs and usage . I have a toshibia Satelitte A105 had had it 6 years like new condt. paid $750 120 gig h/d came with 1 gig I upped it 2 gig. Has all the bells and wisteles. I have only used 20 gig out of h/d 120 in 6 yrs , have loads music photos doucuments .
I would say this Emachine laptop has same basic this my toshiba has except I am told emachine is faster and has newer better hardware.
For my needs I surf the net, chat with others, watch youtube videos and netflix movies , web cam messages and live chat . write letters microsft office and have norton 360 with extra free full install for another pc.
I would have to think this emachine is a good deal for me on a fix income and it will give my toshiba laptop a rest. I don't play any games. only the above listed things and reseach stuff. I spend hours some times on my laptop. aside from that that's it. So I hope the eMachine is a decent enough laptop to be able to provide my above needs? After all my samsung gravity cell phone basicly does what I do on my laptop e mails, chat on web sites photos live web vidros attachments and that some of cell phone feature audio drive gps and loads more. So I hope a laptop can do some what more for me. And or should I spring for the 100 more and get the acer? What seperates the acer apart from the e machine? as far as for my above needs. is it reliablity long term usage? for my needs I would like to know should I go for the eMachine or a $100. mor laptop? I be thankful for suggestions also if you or others who read this let me know of other sales also, though I doublt beat emachine $199. based on all features comes with.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.