Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

eliminating email tracking by internet sites

by goodyt / January 14, 2012 9:52 PM PST

A vast majority of my internet "product" searches result in spam emails from various sites that pertain to the product search, e.g., if I search on line for sources for HP printer ink (primarily, though not exclusively HP and Amazon), almost immediately I will begin receiving unwanted emails from sites purporting to be suppliers of printer ink. While I send them to the Spam Folder, it is the persistance of the spammer that bothers me, i.e., almost every day there will be an unwanted email to delete.

I most commonly use Firefox as my browser, and I have checked the (Privacy box) under Options "Tell websites that I do not wish to be tracked." However, this does not seem to be of any practical use.

Can anyone advise me on a better way to either hide my ISP and/or email address? Thank you in advance for your response(s).

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eliminating email tracking by internet sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eliminating email tracking by internet sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
One wonders . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 14, 2012 10:16 PM PST

why you gave them your email address? The only way they can SPAM you is if you gave them your email address. If you "registered" at a site that's all that's needed.

Next time you get an email, look at the bottom for an opt out or remove me link.

Collapse -
eliminating email tracking by internet sites
by goodyt / January 14, 2012 10:41 PM PST
In reply to: One wonders . . .

Thank you for your response. However, probably due to my generally unsophisticated level of knowledge redgarding "computer things," 1) I am afraid to open any email that is from an unknown source-therefore, checking the opt out/remove from email list is not an option, and 2) in my limited experience it is impossible(?) to purchase anything from Amazon (and I believe HP) web sites without providing your email address.

That being said, if I do see an interesting/potential ink site on line I do not provide an email address. I have always assumed that the email address is just there for the taking by companies/hackers who have the technical knowledge. Maybe, the email information is coming from Amazon, i.e., their site is being harvested by the violators.

Any other input will be appreciated. Thanks.

Collapse -
It is as has been said
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 15, 2012 5:55 AM PST

The web site company you visit can only send you email if you provide them with an email address.

That said, we always tell posters here never to include their email addresses in posts in Public Forums or elsewhere on the internet, blog comments and such, as robots trawl those to farm email addresses so they can be sparmed.

If you have proper email software or even recognised web based email such as GMail, Yahoo Mail and so on, they all have protection for email users. For example my Thunderbird email software won't load images in an email unless I allow it, and will tell me if an email has a potential risk, ie it will tell me if it thinks an email is a scam. But no email software or web based email can protect against all risks and that's left up to us.

However, emails from recognised companies like Amazon, HP and so on are considered safe, but I agree with you, unless you are sure the email is from a recognised source, do not click any links in it. Such scams include emails that demand you click a link to confirm your username and password. Established companies never do that.

In your case, visit the web site in your browser by typing the address in the address bar, log in, then look in your account options for email preferences and untick all you don't want like promotions and such.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.