Samsung forum

General discussion

Electronics smell in my new Samsung LCD LN32B360

by ppsm / May 27, 2009 12:14 PM PDT

Love this brand new tv. I notice however after turning it on and letting it run for awhile there is an electronics type smell in the living room were it is. I only notice it when i leave the room and then come back into it. At first I thought it may be overheating. But it has been running for serveral hours now and works fine. Any hints as to whether this ssmell is normal?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Electronics smell in my new Samsung LCD LN32B360
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Electronics smell in my new Samsung LCD LN32B360
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Electronics smell in my new Samsung LCD LN32B360
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 27, 2009 3:01 PM PDT

ppsm,

The first couple of hours can produce a slight smell as components heat up and are used the first time. However, if this is ongoing, or more than just a few hours, I would suggest having the unit exchanged or serviced.

We cover it for a year, so if you want to get it serviced, you can call 800-SAMSUNG. Otherwise, you could likely exchange it, depending on how brand new it is.

Any lengthy odor should be investigated by a technician.

Keep me posted.

--HDTech

Collapse -
electronic smell samsung LN32B360C5D
by tedbe / February 21, 2010 11:39 PM PST

Just purchased the Samsung LN32B360 and have noticed the "electronics smell" after several hours of operation. I did a lot of research of this purchase on CNET, Consumer Reports and elsewhere. I would have thought that professional reviewers would have mentioned this -- it would have been helpful to be able to choose a brand that does not have this "smell problem."

From what I've read online since, I can't determine whether this is or is not a problem. It makes me unconfortable thinking I'm exposing myself to dangerous chemicals. Sorry, but telling me "this is normal" just doesn't cut it. Televisions should not emit odors, if they do it's a product defect.

Anoyne know which brands of LCD's don't emit any odors?

Collapse -
electronic smell Samsung PN51D490A1D
by DavidS354 / September 24, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

I agree completely, my thoughts exactly.

It appears the problem is more wide spread than I thought and not just limited to plasma's which are known for running hot.

Purchased a new Samsung 51" plasma (PN51D490A1D) exactly 2 months ago from Best Buy and have had nothing but the same problem you're experiencing. A strong noxious odor that fills my living room and stairway after being on for a while. Both Best Buy and Samsung have been out and both tell me this is normal. I do not agree. That's why I'm here. I to am very concerned about what we are breathing. If you call Samsung, be prepared. It is there policy to not deal with replacing products until 3 services appointments have been met. That's 3 separate service call to your home. Let's stay in touch shall we.

Collapse -
some say Panasonic Viera is better (no bad odors)
by Greg_KanataON / December 27, 2013 11:04 PM PST

a lady on Amazon said that she had troubles with a Samsung, returned it, and got a Panasonic Viera that had ZERO smell. That is what we are going to do (get a Panasonic Plasma flatscreen), return our Sony kdl-50r550a, and get a Panasonic.

What I can say, is that we had to old 27 inch CRT TV's, one Sony and one Panasonic. The Panasonic (1993) had NO SMELL. And the Sony (owned by my parents and given to us at one point) did.

It seems maybe Sony has a history of NOT CARING about off-gassing of chemicals of questionable safety, while Panasonic possibly does -- have yet to try a new Panasonic Plasma (2013) to see.

Wish us luck.

Collapse -
Samsung and Sony LED LCD's often smell ...
by Greg_KanataON / December 27, 2013 11:00 PM PST

While it is the HD Tech's job to reassure U, it is not mine as a consumer. And I can say for a FACT that the flat screen TV's of the new millennium (the last decade or so) TOO FREQUENTLY smell bad, and that while any off gassing diminishes somewhat over time, many of these TV's do a LOT of off gassing of questionable chemicals, into your home environment, over a LONG period of time.

My parents have a Samsung LED LCD (smaller unit, high 30's inch I believe) purchased in 2011 or so, and it is still smelling today (I can easily smell it when I'm near the unit) more than 2 years later.

My wife and I just bought a Sony kdl 50r550a and it smelled straight out of the box cold, and it was NOT in a sealed plastic bag even -- SAME smell as the Samsung of my parents, or close enough to seem the same. And it is worse when the model is running of course (though the unit does NOT run HOT, not even warm air is felt at the back of the set). We'll be taking it back to Best Buy here in Kanata ON (Canada).

We NEED to demand that Samsung and Sony and other TV manufacturers get their act together and stop polluting our environment with chemicals that almost certainly have not been tested well healthwise (U are truly fooling only yourself if U think government or industry cares much to do this difficult work). If U can smell it, then U are breathing it, and your kids too. And kids cancer rates are rising, not falling. Maybe it is time we got our acts together as parents, and responsibly, and stopped pretending that others will look after our families health for us -- the evidence does not suggest BIG MONEY cares much.

Collapse -
Smell from 40" Ln630 Samsung TV
by cyancyan / January 20, 2010 5:18 PM PST

We have had the 40ln630 TV for a few weeks. The TV has a slightly sweet and acrid smell to it, and I dont know if some of the components outgas, because the unit gets moderately hot.

Has there been any studies to suggest any outgassing residues from LCD TVs or other related issues?

Regards,

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.