Laptops forum

Question

Educational applications for ereaders

by malkeycoach / September 29, 2013 3:41 AM PDT

I am looking for software which assists kids when they are reading. is there any reader or software which will read out loud individual words they get stuck on, and define them maybe as well?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Educational applications for ereaders
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Educational applications for ereaders
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2013 3:49 AM PDT

But the Kindle can read a book if need be as noted at http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/let-your-kindle-read-to-you-with-texttospeech.html

And since it has a web browser why would we need in book definitions when we can head to the web to get more information and definitions?

-> Get your children out of the 19th and prior century by showing them how to find the definitions.
Bob

PS. Yes there are some books that are actually applications that do what you want but you can imagine due to copy right and patent law you have not seen what you asked for.

Collapse -
educational software
by malkeycoach / September 29, 2013 6:02 AM PDT
In reply to: No.

Thank you for replying. My child has a learning disability focused on reading. Her teacher recommended that I find an application that would read individual words out loud if she points at them (and definitions if possible) to help her keep the train of thought while she is reading so she doesn't lose comprehension. I don't want her to have internet access for this, as this e reader is supposed to be used FOR READING ONLY.

Collapse -
And there are those few apps that do that BUT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2013 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: educational software

And here's the big issue here. What you asked for has huge roadblocks in patents in copy right areas. But if you look at educational apps you find a book that may have such a feature but until some one develops the app I think you are looking for then pays the patents and then you buy their app I fear what you want can't happen.

Also it would take a lot of sales to make said app viable.

This is why you may not see such an app any day soon. Let me be clear about what app I'm saying isn't quite here. An app that can take any book in e-form and do what you asked.

While the existing Kindle can read to me, if I need more about that word I only need to go look it up on the web.

However I am encountering folk that think that's too hard.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you.
by malkeycoach / September 30, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

does "read to me" read any book, or only books that are specially produced for that?

Collapse -
That's a question that has been asked before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you.
Collapse -
Let's get you up to speed why this is not done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2013 3:50 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you.
Collapse -
This might sound dumb and be unhelpful but I
by Steven Haninger / September 30, 2013 4:13 AM PDT
In reply to: educational software

wonder if your child doesn't have an IEP at the school and is already getting help there in the same way it's being suggested at home. I would think that the school would be able to recommend such a program. It's important that classroom and home learning have some continuity so that a child doesn't become more confused than they might already be. I'd take that question back to the teacher and go above his/her head if necessary.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.