TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

EDTV comparison : Panasonic vs Samsung

by nikak47 / May 30, 2005 2:17 PM PDT

which one is better between the TH-42PD50U (panasonic) and SP-R4232 (samsung)

i am really confused which one to buy ... please suggest

the panasonic ones have been reputed for their sharpness but this new gen samsung has more features 10000:1 contrast and looks awesome...

how do the black levels compare....???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: EDTV comparison : Panasonic vs Samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: EDTV comparison : Panasonic vs Samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My opinion
by rkminc / June 8, 2005 9:14 AM PDT

I just got home from Best Buy and looked at both models. The Samsung looked better. Less blurry/grainy during fast movements (i.e. sports). Both pictures looked excellent, bright colors, excellent inputs, etc. But I'm going to buy the Samsung.

Collapse -
your opinion
by tesch1940 / July 10, 2005 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: My opinion

I did not see your reply before I said the Panasonic got better reviews.
In fact, I have not yet found reviews for the Samsung, other than yours.

So I will look further now, as I agree with your interest in the greater contrast ratio.

Thank you,

Collapse -
Panasonic vs. Samsung
by tesch1940 / July 10, 2005 7:02 PM PDT

I have the same question you have, and I am surprised that no one has replied.

But when I Google for best 42" plasma, the Panasonic always seems to come up.

Collapse -
edtv is dead
by stewart norrie / July 11, 2005 4:34 AM PDT

For a few bucks more you can but a 1080 t.v. 16x9 screen I can only tell you that witch my 65" sony 1080 set and I watch an over hi-def program and when they switch to ads they are usually in 480 or 720 and its like night and day between 72o and 1080 I didnt even think they made 720 sets anymore good luck stewart norrie in this chat room

Collapse -
edtv looks alive to me
by tesch1940 / July 11, 2005 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: edtv is dead
Collapse -
samsung vs panasonic oh no what`s your smoking
by mehdino1 / September 4, 2005 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: edtv looks alive to me

Samsung specs this unit's contrast ratio at an unrealistic and not-so-modest 10,000:1. We measured the contrast ratio of this unit at 1675:1 - quite a difference

Collapse -
Samsung v. Panasonic
by tesch1940 / September 4, 2005 2:16 PM PDT

I didn't believe it either. I did buy the Panasonic and am very happy with it. It is hard to imagine greater contrast ratio.

Collapse -
by jcrobso / September 8, 2005 2:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung v. Panasonic

This thread was started in May but since that time I had the chance to do a side by side comparisons of ED plasma (640x480) and a HD plasma (1024x768) so I agree with Sterart ED is dead. John

Collapse -
Samsung can stand up to Panasonic
by bgmosssr / February 8, 2006 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: EDTV
Collapse -
ED is deader than a doornail.
by norlfolkcentral / February 8, 2006 9:17 AM PST
In reply to: EDTV

Stewart is more than right on this call. Wait until you can do HDTV, the way it's meant be experienced.

Collapse -
Not so fast ...
by bgmosssr / February 8, 2006 11:44 AM PST

I agree that the standard will eventually swing totally in favor for HD ... BUT, for the time being and for the money, ED is a very viable alternative and it's not going away anytime soon. I've read that by 2009 all signals (HD) will be in 1080 - not really buying that talk, but you never know ...

And since most brands HD's are marginally better than analog, ED will still have its place. And let's not forget the up/down convert (depending on which one you have ED or HD) to 480p - which happens to be native for DVD.

Collapse -
i'd rather take a ED panny then a HD maxent
by masterying01 / February 9, 2006 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: Not so fast ...

another words, ED is not dead. if you need something that saves space for around $2000, and also want a very good picture, go with the ed plasma from panasonic.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / February 9, 2006 5:29 AM PST

Ha Ha Hi-Def sets are selling for very affordable prices now so why would someone want to buy old technology for about the same price DONT MAKE ANY SINCE TO ME

Collapse -
daewoo is a perfect example.
by masterying01 / February 9, 2006 1:45 PM PST

they made luxerious cars for a very little price tag. cars would break after a few years and it was costing them too much money to fix so they went out of business.

another words, i'd rather get a plasma like the EDTV panaonic which i KNOW has a good reputation...then to buy a plasma from maxent...a company with no reputation. especially when the panasonic ed looks better then the maxent HD on the same signal...i'll go with the edtv regardless of the specs (resolution). do you buy cars by the specs? or the way it drives?

ps: i coulda sworn you posted about how all rearprojection tv's (especially dlp's) are bad cause you feel that you're limited to only a certain size and the picture is always in a box...and i'm pretty sure you ripped on their lightbulbs too. yet you still got a brand new dlp rear projection. what happened to the front projector? it'll give you 20+ more inches and its the same price. why go with the smaller rear dlp? this is the same concept. high number specs dont always mean better.

Collapse -
Nicely put...
by bgmosssr / February 9, 2006 11:06 PM PST

Maxent does have a nice display, but side by side with the Panasonic is no comparison. ED beats this HD (a dna lot of others) ANY day! And besides, I rather know what I'm getting ...

Collapse -
Specs can be misleading....
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 1:55 AM PST

My buddy and I had the same argument. On paper, the Sammy should murder the Panny, due to better contrast ratio, and a higher video-processor, but here's the reality: We stacked the Panny ED and the Sammy ED side by side, hooked up identical DVD players with identical cables and stuck Starwars III in at the same time to compare. The Panasonic slaughtered the Samsung, despite not matching up to it in specs. The black levels were superior, the clarity was superior, and the colour was supreme. The Sammy is a nice "Bang for your buck"model, but it just couldn't compare with the Panny's levels.

For those of you boys already burying ED, consider this. Only about 30-40 channels on cable or satellite are HD as of yet. Those of the "suckers" who have bought ED are going to get a superior picture from the non-highdef channels in comparison to those of you "masters" with HD plasmas. :D:D The ED models don't have to scale the SDTV picture up as high, and so the effect is much less grainy than on an HDTV, which scales enormously, particularly if you have it set to 720p all the time, which is the best viewing for the HD channels.

Stick the Pany 50PX500U and the TH-42PX50U model side by side with HD playing on both, and I dare you to find a huge difference. The only noticeable difference is in black levels, and even that is minimal.

Those of you who chose HD plasmas are most likely going to have to pay the same amount for an ATSC tuner box as those who purchased ED plasmas, when everything goes completely HD in 2009. Very few HD plasma models come with the ATSC tuner, unless you're buying a higher model Panny or Sammy. So nyah. :D:D:D

Collapse -
TH-42PD50U.....bleeeeeeeeh....evil model numbers...
by HighdefHoney / February 13, 2006 2:00 AM PST

Evil everything. Grumble.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.