Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Audio & Video Software

Question

Editor for old game console capture

by Jantrit / November 26, 2012 4:44 PM PST

Hi I have a series of retro game console game reviews on youtube and up until now I have been using a dvd recorder to record the footage from a snes and megadrive straight onto dvd. Unfortunately, as mechanical tech often does, it just developed a fault and is now totally useless for recording.

So I've decided to swap to recording straight to pc HDD instead. I already have a kworld dvd maker 2 usb capture device, but I am having real trouble finding a program to do the capturing. I've tried free stuff like video pad (which I do my editing with) to do the recording, but such programs have turned out to be less than optimal, and I have a bundled copy of cyberlink power director, but it insists my megadrive is copyright protected and refuses to record.

To keep it short what I'm asking is what are some good video editors for capturing old game console footage? I remember trying a trial of an older premier elements and it seemed alright (at any rate it didn't just stop at random claiming copyright infringement). Is it worth buying a full version? Are their good alternatives? If there are dedicated programs for the job that aren't editors I'll consider those as well, though editors are more convenient since I can use them afterwards to put the vid together.

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Editor for old game console capture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Editor for old game console capture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Ouch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 1:27 AM PST

It appears the video has MacroVision on it so all software I know of will not capture such.

I'd look to going back to what worked. And no, due to many things I can't discuss getting around any copy protection.
Bob

Collapse -
What are you on about?
by Jantrit / November 27, 2012 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

Erm ok, sorry but did you actually read the post? Because I cant help feeling you responded to the wrong thread.

I never asked anything about getting around copyright protection or anything like that (the megadrive doesn't have protection, its apparently inference in the cable that triggers cyberlinks copyright stuff), I just wanted an editor or capture software (or capture device/software bundle) that would do the job of recording old game consoles ...

Collapse -
Do you want to banter or discuss?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 27, 2012 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: What are you on about?

Fine with me. I brought up MacroVision because a lot of these things have it and I encounter folk with stories like yours.

If you want to banter, just say so. I think the fix is to go back to what worked.

-> If you feel it's cable noise then fix that and you're done.

I do not know of ANY system that gets around MacroVision issues. I mention it so you can research that.

However once in a while you encounter someone that declares that's not it and you have to give them more time to think it over.
Bob

Collapse -
You might be correct
by Jantrit / November 30, 2012 8:09 PM PST

Ok that might be it (though no one has anything concrete and its not in the megadrives specs), after I looked it up since I had no idea what macrovision is or that old systems like that even had any copyright protection at all. You could just have answered with a bit more detail. Don't take this the wrong way, my tone isn't meant to be hostile, but people post to forums with a direct question and a direct answer is usually the best response. As it is your response was vague enough that I just looked and thought "what on earth is macrovision".

Yeah I looked it up and now I know what you meant, but you could have saved my confusion and a bit of time, by just telling me "it might have macrovision, which is..." instead of just assuming that I, who for all you know am a complete layman on the subject (I'm not a total layman, but I'm no expert), would have any idea what you're talking about, rather than making me run around the net to find out what you mean. That's what I posted to a forum to avoid.

I appreciate the help, but a bit more detail in future would be nice incase people dont know enough to understand you.

Collapse -
For that I apologize. And my fault.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2012 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: You might be correct

But as it's something that is out on the internet for folk to catch up on I can't detail each technology item unless the discussion is about that lone item. Here we need to cover a few topics at a fairly high level and if I wrote what MacroVision was then next thing I know is someone tells me I got it wrong. Then I copy/link some other site/text and then folk slam me for plagiarism.

Ouch. I think I'll forever be apologizing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.