Windows 7

General discussion

eBay Win 7 keys...

by cgarrity / November 6, 2009 12:43 AM PST

A few days ago I was looking for another copy of Win 7 and checked eBay. There are several "keys' being sold there for $30-$50. It's unclear whether the keys include the Win 7 DVD.

In the word descriptions, the sellers claim the keys they are selling are from MS.

Anyone know if these are legal keys or is this some kind of eBay scam?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: eBay Win 7 keys...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: eBay Win 7 keys...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No
by Jimmy Greystone / November 6, 2009 12:54 AM PST
In reply to: eBay Win 7 keys...

No, they wouldn't include the install DVD. This would be strictly for the code that lets you activate Windows.

As for the legitimacy of it... I'd be pretty wary myself. I'd say there's a better chance than not it's a scam.

Collapse -
hmmm
by jeff_windows_team / November 6, 2009 1:36 AM PST

If you have to ask for a second opinion, chances are you could be saving money but buying trouble.

Quick question- Are you a college student?

If you are let us know, and if you aren't then I would recommend buying from a name brand retailer.

Collapse -
No to college student...
by cgarrity / November 6, 2009 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm

I know about the college discount, but I don't qualify. I was one of the thousands that ran Win7 RC and as the program was winding down, I took advantage of the $50 offer for a copy of the retail version when it came out. Actually I bought 2 of them. We have 4 computers in the house and at the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put Win 7 on all of them or not. And I didn't want to lay $200 on the line in case I didn't.

So now I have on copy on my brand new iMac running under BootCamp and it's probably the best computer I've ever owned. The other copy is going on one of my laptops. Since all I need is a key, I may give eBay a shot. Or I may just buy 2 more of the $120 packaged units.

Collapse -
keys
by jeff_windows_team / November 6, 2009 1:55 AM PST

If you decide against the ebay method and think that you will eventually have a need for 3 upgrade keys instead of just the two you mentioned, you might also want to consider the Family packs which comes with 3 upgrade keys for around $150.

Collapse -
Good point!...
by cgarrity / November 6, 2009 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: keys

The 3 pack is definitely a better deal than 2 @ $120 each. I'll have to give that some thought.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Collapse -
family packs sold out in a couple of days
by roadlife / December 29, 2009 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: keys

To the microsoft people who recommend buying family packs instead of using ebay, thanks to microsoft's method of selling family packs in a limited amount but with unlimited purchase all of them were bought out by EBAYERS!!!!!
within days of family pack release they were all bought. my staples said a guy bought every single copy! Same occurred on amazon, etc.

Tell your bosses at Microsoft -- they are the ones facilitating a black or gray market in their own products, and chasing people with three PC's at home, and not in college, like me to ebay!!!

Collapse -
if you must ebay
by enos7 / December 29, 2009 6:37 AM PST

I take it you got your original copies from the microsoft store? Be careful then if you by just keys from ebay. Even if the keys are legit, you have to make sure that they aren't OEM keys as those won't work with original microsoft retail discs.

Collapse -
Just picked one up last week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 30, 2009 1:24 AM PST

At a retail store so they are out there. The problem is that retailers are unsure of demand or don't get it. So keep looking at Office Max, Amazon and such.

Bob

Collapse -
Reminder about genuine Windows
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 30, 2009 3:21 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.