Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Easy webpage builder?

by provoko / March 5, 2004 9:33 AM PST

I'm looking for an easy webpage builder. Something like trellix's on-line browser based builder, but off-line.

Trellix is great, but it's on-line and watching my browser refresh after ever little thing I do is time consuming.

So anyone know of an easy webpage builder?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Easy webpage builder?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Easy webpage builder?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Easy webpage builder?
by Dale Johnston / March 5, 2004 2:51 PM PST
In reply to: Easy webpage builder?

There are plenty of webpage creation programs, but nothing comes easy with them. Sure you can choose anything from the simple drag and click of 1st Page 2000, to the more sophisticated HomeSite and Dreamweaver. However, what good will it do you when things don't turn out right?

Could you study the code and fix it? All such software makes mistakes, no matter if it was free or cost hundreds of dollars. You need to know the basics, so you can at least understand what went wrong even if you don't always know exactly how to put it right.

I suggest you learn basic HTML so you can at least understand what processes are taking place to display your pages, and how they work. There are plenty of good sites with simple to follow tutorials, but HTML Goodies is one I see recommended quite a lot.

So in direct answer to your question, the web builder I recommend is your own brain, filled with a little knowledge. It may not be the easiest to use, but if employed properly, it's the best. Happy

Collapse -
Re:Re:Easy webpage builder?
by provoko / March 5, 2004 3:12 PM PST

Thanks for the inspiring speech, but I know a little HTML and I don't really want to learn anymore. I know the basics, but I don't want to sit there typing out each thing. I feel like I'm making pasta from scratch when I could just buy it from the store.

I've used trellix a long time ago when it was free to use on your computer, but they got rid of that program and they made a browser based webpage maker. Which is great, seriously. But the problem is that each little thing has an edit button and the page refreshes every single time I edit something. You could imagine what it's like when you're editing a table that has a 144 cells and you have to click edit on each cell just to fill it out.

I just want an easy program that lets me edit a webpage without too much trouble. If someone made a program like that they would make a fortune.

If 1st page 2000 is that program then I must have missed something when I tried it out. I'm gonna go back to that program and see what I missed.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Easy webpage builder?
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 5, 2004 6:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Easy webpage builder?
by provoko / March 6, 2004 2:13 AM PST

Thanks for the link. Through that link I found what they were called, visual html editors. So I went onto cnet, typed that in, and found a bunch of them.

I downloaded like three of them and found one I really like called Actual Drawing. It feels a little clunky, but it's all I need. I can add tables, insert pictures into the table and links, and edit anything in the site on the fly.

I wanted to try the demo you showed me, but I didn't want to go through the trouble of downloading macromedia trial and adding KTML.

Anyone have any other suggestions like the program "actual drawing?" Thanks.

Collapse -
Concrete5 & Wordpress
by InMotionHosting / May 3, 2013 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy webpage builder?

I know this is an older post, but for anyone else that finds this I recommend Concrete5 or Wordpress.

Concrete5 is really easy, and the Add-Ons are well-tested which can help you avoid compatibility issues.

Wordpress takes a little longer to learn, but the amount of available Plugins/Addons are immense. This lets you customize your site many different ways.

I hope this helps,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.