Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Earthlink - Pop Up Blocker Nightmare

by wenpeek / August 27, 2005 10:27 AM PDT

I've gone through every one of the threads that had anything to do with Earthlink and still didn't find anything close to the problem I'm having. Earthlink has been a good ISP but there's one thing that I can't find out how to completely disable or uninstall is the Pop Up Blocker!! The reason I'm so frustrated is because the Pop Up Blocker does such a good job at blocking pop ups that it won't even let me select a link (whether in the body of an email or in an actual website) without that dang little red fist coming up. It's so sporatic that just when I think it's not going to block my selection BAM! there's that dang fist.

Somebody PLEASE help me get rid of this one way or another before I decide to just give up and get a different ISP.

Thanks, Wendy M. Peek ~ Dallas, Tx

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Earthlink - Pop Up Blocker Nightmare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Earthlink - Pop Up Blocker Nightmare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's an interesting link. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 28, 2005 1:37 AM PDT
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030206.html

If I were you I'd uninstall all Earthlink software, making note of all TCP/IP information (login) first for your dial-up connection. After the Earthlink software is gone, create a new DUN with the login information and use a stock browser. IE, Netscape, Mozilla, whatever.

Most people do not need to use the ISP's browser/software. Just use the TCP/IP information and your username and password.

Wayne

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to
use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and data, and download free software.
Collapse -
Oh, forgot. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 28, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

After you're up and running, download and install the Google Toolbar. Excellent blocker and search, along with a few nice utilities.

Collapse -
Earthlink Toolbar
by tiptie / December 24, 2005 2:15 PM PST

This bothered me for a while until I went to "view" on IE and turned the Earthlink Toolbar "ON". I then clicked on the Pop-up Window on the Toolbar and turned OFF the Earthlink Pop-up filter with that annoying red fist.

Collapse -
Earthlink Popup Blocker that won't Uninstall
by honey4833 / February 21, 2006 5:42 AM PST

Did you ever find an answer to your problem? I have a related problem. I used Earthlink then switched my ISP and therefore uninstalled all my Earthlink software. During UNINSTALL, I got a Windows alert that it could not uninstall the Popup Blocker, presumably because it was running in background.

Now it's a complete frustration, since everytime I try to open a new window or switch websites, I get a windows popup saying it's trying to install Earthlink Popup Blocker and after I delete that Popup I get another popup saying Earthlink Popup Blocker. Earthlink technical Support was no help, especially when they learned I was no longer a customer. I tried several other ways of deleting the Popup blocker including deleting any Earthlink related files in the STARTUP menu, all failed to resolve the problem.

If you ever found a solution, could you share you share it ??

David P

Collapse -
Same issue
by zendog1960 / March 9, 2006 6:41 AM PST

Can you get back with me on if you got this issue resolved. I am having the Same Exact issue. Its extremely frustrating.

Thanks So much

Collapse -
Earthlink Popup Blocker (WINDOWS ALERT)
by salemgurl / November 27, 2006 8:37 PM PST

THAT IS SO ANNOYING!!

I have chatted online with 3 Earthlink reps.

First: they asked if they could "take over my computer to find any references of Earthlink in my system.

Then: they all did a search and "TRIED unsuccessfully" to uninstall and delete any occurences of Earthlink

Once they found out I didn't have an active account with them any longer, they gave me the 800 number for accounts.

That still did not help and 2 years later, I still have this EARTHLINK POPUP BLOCKER - Internal Error 2718 on my laptop.

HAS ANYONE FOUND THE "Proper" method to deleting this blocker yet??? ---seems as if no one has responded--- 2006 is almost over

Please respond!!!

Collapse -
POP up blocker
by jamal hafez / December 30, 2006 10:55 AM PST

Try this ...in the run box enter msconfig then enter.
Look on the services tab and see if earthlink popup blocker is running. If so uncheck the box.

Or selectively try and find it through MS Clean Boot process. In help, search for "Clean Boot". You should get a reference that takes you to a MS page that shows you how to clean boot. That page also has a tutorial.

Collapse -
pop up blocker
by jamal hafez / December 30, 2006 11:00 AM PST

Another approach is to work on the error message ..EARTHLINK POPUP BLOCKER - Internal Error 2718 .. I'm pretty sure this is happening because you have an invalid registry entry that is pointing to pop up blocked.

Maybe a simple registry cleaner from C-Net might find it and clean it out for you.

I strongly suggest "you not" hunt and peck to edit your registry..unless your a guru at that stuff..

Collapse -
Solution to Uninstalling Earthlink Toolbar & Popup Blocker
by annyms / July 26, 2007 3:29 AM PDT

I was having the same problem with the earthlink toolbar mainly because of the annoying pop-up blocker. I couldn't uninstall the toolbar from the add/remove programs list so I had to find another way (since Earthlink didn't want to help).

Try doing this:

- Go to My Computer
- Click on C: drive
- Go to Program Files (show contents in folder if it asks)
- Click on Earthlink TotalAccess folder (show contents in folder if it asks)
- Click on Toolbar folder
- There should be an icon in this folder with a name similar to uninstall (sorry I forgot the exact file name, it disappeared after I did the uninstall option), but when you click on it a window should come up that will take you through the process of uninstalling the toolbar.

NOTE: There's 2 icons with a similar name of uninstall... I clicked on both and one of the icons didn't do anything so don't worry if you get to this part and don't know which to click. All I can tell you is it is not a .dll file.

I hope this helps!

Collapse -
Getting ride of Earthlink annoying pop blocker
by ladiomi / November 28, 2007 1:51 AM PST

I have also had this issue for a very long time and today i decided this is the day i would spend getting ride of it completely! first i did a manual uninstall of earthlink toolbar and software because i reinstalled it thinking if it found itself then i could delete the program and that would take care of it IT DID NOT WORK... I followed these directions for uninstall it works for 5.0 or 6.0 totalaccess earthlink.
Manually Uninstall EarthLink 5.0
Go to
H_Key_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
If any of the values below exist in the ?Run? folder, delete them.
ConMgr.exe
UpdateMgr.exe
Armon32.exe
(These values may not exist if the programs were disabled previously in Msconfig)

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellFolders
change the cookies value to c:\windows\cookies
change the favorites value to c:\windows\favorites

H_KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folder
change the cookies value to c:\windows\cookies
change the favorites value to c:\windows\favorites

Delete H_KEY_Current_User\Software\EarthLink Network
Delete H_Key_Local_Machine\Software\EarthLink Network
Reboot the machine
Delete the EarthLink 5.0 folder from c:\program files
Delete the Access Ramp folder from c:\program files
Click Start then go to Settings and then choose Taskbar and Start menu
Remove the EarthLink folder from the start menu
Remove the EarthLink toolbar from the Startup folder in the Start menu
Delete any EarthLink 5.0 shortcuts from the desktop

In addtion to this i followed the directions of one of the other writers in this thread by going to Start/Run/ Type in MS config/ Click on Service tab and startup tab make sure earthlink is not there in services tab or at least not active and in the startup make sure it's not checked i don't know how to actually remove it from that tab but having it unchecked if it is there has worked for me.

Then Here is the master trick apparently Go back to run after you close out Ms config screen. In run Type Regedit now someone else made a very valid point about not poking around in the regisitry edits and deleting things that your not sure about well my computer is old so i figure if i kill it at least i would be done with the faithful foe of earthlink pop blocker internal error 2718.
Go to Hkey_Classes_ Root
Go all the way down the list until you get to the E section
Ok Now you will see these folders you need to delete the whole folder
Any that start with ELNK
Any that Start with ElnIE.Srchhook ( if you don't believe these are really registered to earthlink go to www.internetsecurityzone.com it will tell you who it belongs to even the Clsid that belongs to it you can delete that too if you like)
Any that start with ELS. ( they may say Els.elsaddressbook etc..)
and ELMFile and there should be two that say Eauthmgr those also must go they belong to earthlink ( mind you this is only if you want to be rid of earthlink all together)

After that i rebooted my computer and TADA!!! no more pop up from earthlink at all.

I hope this helps to any of you professional computer people out there who read this and i have said something wrong please feel free to correct me i am not a professional or qualified to work on computers but love computers, so far my computer works like normal just more awesome with out that ANNOYING POP UP..(smile)

Collapse -
I Got Rid of the Red Fist!
by mark_glenn / February 17, 2007 12:01 AM PST

I also spent time with the Earthlink Chat rep. She did not see the Earthlink toolbar, so said it couldn't be Earthlink blocking the pop-up (a pop-up I needed to see!).

My solution (yes, it worked!) was to go the 'add/remove programs' utility. I found the Earthlink Toolbar listed, even though 'view / toolbars' wasn't listing it.

Ran 'uninstall', then restarted for good measure. The Red Fist is now gone (yeah!).

Hope this helps someone...

Collapse -
annoying red fist - problem solved
by domino1167 / May 31, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

Hi!
I had the same annoying problem with this red fist blocking popups I wanted to open.
The toolbar didn't show, so when I finally figured out where the fist belonged to I had it come visible (View - Toolbars - EarthLink Toolbar). And there were the "Pop-Up Blocker ON/OFF" button and the "ScamBlocker ON/OFF" button. Both enabled (green light). I clicked both blockers so they were disabled, had the toolbar disappear again and gave it another try. No success. So I made it visible again -and the Pop-Up Blocker was enabled again!! Once more disabling and hiding the toolbar. Another try: I finally got the popup I needed.
Now, enabling the toolbar again to look up the names of the buttons to write this to you I had to notice that the ScamBlocker was enabled again... Pretty annoying. I made sure both buttons are "OFF" and de-installed the toolbar (Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - EarthLink Toolbar...). Was no problem but I guess, both features have to be turned off.
Attention: the computer needs to be re-started afterwards...
Good luck! Linda

Collapse -
Another way
by MouseGoddess / November 10, 2007 11:16 AM PST

Another option with a lot of pop-up blockers is to hold down Ctrl when you click a link that is being blocked from opening.

Collapse -
Easy Solution
by kkhanmd / December 25, 2008 3:43 AM PST

Here is an easy solution. I have earthlink PCC with toolbar on IE7. Goto tools...manage add ons....enable/disbale add ons....disable Earthlink toolbar AND ELNKPubBHO class. The pop ups with that red fist will stop. Now the files there may be different for you, so besides the earthlink toolbar try disabling one by one earthlink files and you will find your answer. I understand this will not delete it from IE but no more pop-ups... priceless...

Collapse -
make sure to change the windows pop-up setting as well
by kkhanmd / March 23, 2009 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Easy Solution

Annoying pop-up blockers will change windows setting, I have XP professional SP3, after disabling earthlink pop-up blockers from the "manage add ons" in XP go to tools....internet options....security....custom level......downloads..... enable file downloads..... otherwise all download files will be blocked as pop-ups.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.