E-readers

Question

E-Reader for the visually impaired person

by GrandmaNet / November 30, 2012 3:21 PM PST

My nine yr old granddaughter has Stargardts Disease, which is juvenile macular degeneration, which means she is slowly losing her sight, and she loves to read. While I was visiting over Thanksgiving holidays, I let her try reading on my Nexus 7 tablet, changing the page background to black, and text to white. I enlarged the font to the next to largest possible, and she was able to read easily. I'd like to get her a Kindle Fire, knowing the black background is an option, but I can't afford to spend that much on one child for Christmas. Are there less expensive e-readers out there that have the black background setting? I want to encourage her love for reading, and her family cannot afford an e-book for her. I'd appreciate any help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-Reader for the visually impaired person
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-Reader for the visually impaired person
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the kindle paper white?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 30, 2012 3:24 PM PST

Also, in the USA there are free books via a service for legally blind folk. I find folk didn't know about such programs so I mention them.
Bob

Collapse -
E-reader for visually impaired
by GrandmaNet / December 4, 2012 11:23 AM PST

That is kind of what I wanted to know. The specs on the kindle white does not say whether or not a black background is possible. Was hoping to find out without buying one. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry I can't test that for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 5, 2012 2:54 PM PST

I have an older version so what I do there does not apply.

Are you saying Amazon is not answering the phone? Just last week I called in with a question and they were on the phone in about 15 seconds with an answer. Did you ask?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
resources
by Angeline573 / December 6, 2012 12:38 AM PST

Hi GrandmaNet,

I was just looking to see what e-readers may have text to speech options when I came across your post. I really can't help much with the e-reader, but I have some other suggestions for resources that may help if you aren't already aware of them.

The first is the Library of Congress, National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. Your Granddaughter (if she doesn't have one already) could get a digital reading machine from them and you order books on your computer and download them immediately. (202) 707-5100 is the number for the Library. Something else I recommend doing is calling State Rehabilitation Services for whichever state your Granddaughter lives in and they should be able to get her set up with a computer for her homework etc.

Another excellent resource is the National Federation of the Blind (NFB). They have offices in every state and large city. They have a youth division as well as a division for Parents of Blind Children division. Their resources are unprecedented. And while not as familiar with them, another group is The American Council for the Blind. And while I believe they are a good group, I think the NFB has more members and resources.

I'm sorry, I know you were asking for help with an e-reader and I couldn't really answer that one, I do hope that your Granddaughter and her parents reach out to any of the above as they can really help get your Granddaughter some of the tools and technology she will need to be successful and they also have knowledge of financial resources to help out. Good luck to all of you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.