Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

e-mailing pics

by pluto45 / February 24, 2004 10:20 AM PST

Hi- I want to send pictures in my e-mails, however,
I want to send them through my favorite e-mail site.
When I try to send them the msn hotmail window pops up. How do I change (in internet options) my 'hotmail'
(used forjunk mail)
to the site I want to use for e-mail? Please don't tell me msn is 'strong arming' me. thanks,pluto45

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: e-mailing pics
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: e-mailing pics
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:e-mailing pics
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 1:36 PM PST
In reply to: e-mailing pics

Pluto,

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. We need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, and in your case, the e-mail program you're trying to use to send mail. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

Apparently, Hotmail is your default mail. Have you tried changing that ? Open the Control Panel, then double click on the "Internet Options" icon. When that opens, click on the "Programs" tab. When that opens, in the "E-mail" line, use the drop down arrow to select your chosen e-mail program. Click on "Apply", then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:e-mailing pics
by pluto45 / February 25, 2004 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re:e-mailing pics

Grif- Thanks for responding. I tried your suggestion,
however it seems that I either get 'hotmail or outlook express' I'd like to change it but don't know how to type in what I want. This is aggrevating. Do I have to go into the 'bowels' of my computer? There has to be something. By the way, my OS is Win XP,
256mb. Thanks again..pluto45@myway.com

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:e-mailing pics
by Cursorcowboy / February 25, 2004 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:e-mailing pics
it seems that I either get 'hotmail or outlook express' I'd like to change it but don't know how to type in what I want.

Based on which of the two you want, you would highlight either of them so they show bolded on the display line. After deciding which, click Apply and then OK to close the applet. Note however that if Outlook Express has never been setup as the mailer you will have to contact your ISP for the necessary information.

Bill Gaston
Collapse -
Pluto, As Was Asked Earlier....Which E-mail Program Are You Trying To Use ?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 25, 2004 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:e-mailing pics

If neither Outlook Express, or Hotmail is the correct one, then which one??. If it's not listed in the "default" e-mail location, then apparently, you haven't got it "installed" on the machine and if it's a web mail program, then it may not be available for the type of fix you're looking for.

Most webmail types require you to open their webpage, then insert attachments, such as pictures, while on their e-mail page. It sounds like you're trying to send the pictures by RIGHT clicking them, then choosing the "Send Mail" option. If it's web mail, then that option may not be available.

Hope this helps and let us know.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:e-mailing pics WITH A WEB BASED EMAIL SYSTEM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2004 9:39 PM PST
In reply to: e-mailing pics

Frankly, there are far too many pitfalls in such an email system. Unlike POP3/SMTP email systems, WEB BASED EMAIL is not standards based as to how the EMAIL CLIENT has to interact.

As such, there appears to be nothing wrong (except our expectations) and if you use some POP3/SMTP EMAIL, then the send picture would function.

For now, you get to open a new email in hotmail and attach the picture to send.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.