Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

E-mail list

by jchase520 / September 2, 2010 6:24 AM PDT

I have a list of around 500k emails, I want to set up an opt in list , but AI need a way to send out these messages ( for free ) , is there a way to send this many emails at once for free?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-mail list
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-mail list
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not ask an email marketing company?
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: E-mail list

The common tariff is something like 1 cent a piece for commercial mails. That's $5000 for 500.000 mails. But you might be able to get a reduction, if you're not interested in statistics on how many receivers opened it and a teturn file of bounced mails, or the mails are very small (text only).

Kees

Collapse -
hnm
by jchase520 / September 2, 2010 6:46 AM PDT

$5,000 seems a little more then free

let me say again FREE

Collapse -
gmail is free, windows live mail is free
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2010 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: hnm

All you need is a PC and an Internet connection. From your post, I think you have both.

But I wouldn't be too amazed if they close your account because your use of it violates their conditions. Be sure to study those before you start.

Kees

Collapse -
k
by jchase520 / September 2, 2010 6:56 AM PDT

that doesn't help very much , what do marketing companies use to send all those emails?

Collapse -
(NT) A program to send emails in batch.
by Kees Bakker / September 2, 2010 4:47 PM PDT
In reply to: k
Collapse -
emails
by rsingh007 / November 3, 2010 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: k

email sender delux will do it from your own PC but it will take along time to send 500k. might want to batch them into smaller chunks.

mail chimp also has a free service but I dont know if they will let you import those emails.

I highly doubt you have legitimately collected 500k emails if you dont have any money to spend on email software. Any business that has collected that many emails must have some $$. So careful about sending out spam my friend. Thats probably what mail chimp will say if you try to import those emails.

Collapse -
Email Marketing
by Iridiumx2 / November 4, 2011 6:42 PM PDT

Like other users have stated here, you can always use companies like http://www.MailChimp.com or http://www.Mailtricity.com to send out your email list. Rembermeber there is a quantity limit to sending out a free email list. Take a look and review the list provided here on CNET for the email marketing software... http://www.cnet.com/topic/email-marketing.html . Once you have your email marketing sofware install or you have chosen an email marketing provider, read CNET's Tips For Effective e-Mail Marketing here... http://www.cnet.com/4520-10192_1-6417670-1.html . Good luck!

Collapse -
Free solution
by old_school3038 / November 16, 2011 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Email Marketing

The best way is not free however you want free. As suggested above use a free mail program to mail it out for you and wait a million years for it to mail them out. When you ask for a Free solution for anything, expect "crappy" results pardon the expression. The best solution would be get a cheap computer to act as a mail server and setup a mail server software package to auto send the mail out for you on a time based scheduled task. Ever hear the expression "it takes money to make money"? This expression would apply in this case unless you're a software engineer or know one whom works for free. In that case good luck finding one who can accomplish this task and for free.

Collapse -
Opt in list for 500k emails
by Pc_Repair_Trust / December 4, 2011 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Email Marketing

Technically you should be only sending emails to people or businesses that you have already have a business relationship with. You can use Mailchimp to send out about 250k emails for free each month according to their website support page. You need to study the ICAN Spam rules very carefully before getting involved in email marketing. The consequences of violating ICAN SPAM can cost you way more that you can expect to make off of your email marketing campaign. If you follow the guidelines of the mailchimp website you won't have to study ICAN Spam at all. At the end of the day there are a few simple rules to follow.

1. Only send email to people who subscribe to your email list

2. Only send email to people who you have a business relationship with

3. Always give an option to unsubscribe from your list

This is what I tell my clients and it works very well for them here in Miami and on the world wide web.

Check out these resources for email marketing:

listwire.com

mailchimp.com

constantcontact.com

if you have any questions for me feel free to contact me through my website pcrepairtrust.com

Collapse -
Free email marketing software Recommended
by JuicySharon / December 4, 2011 12:05 PM PST
Collapse -
Easy to Use Email marketing software Recommended
by JuicySharon / December 4, 2011 12:07 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.