The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

E-mail clients - Outlook vs. Thunderbird vs. ???...

by shmody / October 21, 2009 7:39 AM PDT

E-mail clients - Outlook vs. Thunderbird vs. ???...

so my oooold Outlook isn't updating from online sources any longer - something that Microsoft wanted to do, blah, blah, blah.

Any preferences of the latest Outlook vs Thunderbird vs. something I haven't heard of ?

I'll likely be using a smartphone (no idea which one, probably either Blackberry, Symbian, or Motorola Cliq) or my Nokia tablet to sync.

Thanks sooooooooo much in advance,
Shalin

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-mail clients - Outlook vs. Thunderbird vs. ???...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-mail clients - Outlook vs. Thunderbird vs. ???...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Outlook 2007
by robstak / October 22, 2009 7:20 AM PDT

Shalin,

As someone that has definitely tried both (and I REALLLLY wanted to use thunderbird in an all free/open source effort I made earlier this year), I've come to the realization that, for me, at least, there is no substitute to MS Office ESPECIALLY Outlook.

Ultimately it was the calendar note todo and contact integration to my phone that sold me. Plus all my old data was in outlook 2003 when I upgraded to 2007. plus I still have a .edu address so i got office for a SONG. i want to support thunderbird and it was ok for email and not so great for RSS, but its simply out of its league in features compared to outlook.

just my humble opinion. Wink
-k

Collapse -
Age old question...
by n74jw / October 24, 2009 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook 2007

If your company uses MS Exchange then Outlook is the way to go. No doubt about it. Many mobile devices have greater support for Outlook over Thunderbird.

I would personally go with Thunderbird for a few reasons. First, TBird works on all platforms, Linux, Mac and Windows. I use all three and I can easily move my contacts from one to the other very easily, as I can saved e-mail.

Second, TBird uses the traditional mbox format which makes moving mail in and out Thunderbird or to another client (except Outlook) a cinch. I used to use Eudora and when moving to TBIrd, all I had to do was find out where to place the files. Not the case With Outlook. On Windows there is the freeware app 'MozBackup' which will import/export Firefox and TBird settings between Windows PCs.

Third, TBird is free. If you have only one computer, then you only have to buy Outlook once, but IMHO, that is once too many.

Both apps are good, just depends what you need. On my smart-phone, I pull the mail from the source and sync my contacts with the local address book. My employer does not have an MS Exchange system and it uses a third-party calendar, so Outlook wouldn't work for me.

Collapse -
(NT) very true. obviously depends on your sitch...
by robstak / October 25, 2009 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Age old question...
Collapse -
(NT) Understood, although this wouldn't be for work...
by shmody / October 25, 2009 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Age old question...
Collapse -
Gotcha. It also seems that Thunderbird locks your e-mails..
by shmody / October 25, 2009 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook 2007

Gotcha. It also seems that Thunderbird locks your e-mails such that you can't move them to another client later...

--Shalin

Collapse -
Not so sure about that...
by n74jw / October 25, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

...I have been able to move messages from Thunderbird to Eudora, and many web mail platforms (including Outlook).

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks all, I'll be stickin' with MS Outlook or Live Mail...
by shmody / October 25, 2009 10:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
What do you mean by it's not updating from online sources?
by Slikkster / October 26, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

Can you clarify what that means?

By the way, since I had a copy of Outlook 2007 (my company gets MS discounts on Office -- $19 for 2007), I've finally decided to use it for my local email client. I don't connect it to an Exchange server. I just think it does a very good job of handling my email, and still segregates my Hotmail accounts vs. Outlook Express adding all Hotmail to my Inbox. (Hotmail has gone to Pop3.)

I'm just not crazy about Windows Live Mail. I tried that for awhile, but Outlook 2007 does the job best for me. It's overkill for a local email client, but for $19, who can complain?

Collapse -
I'm unable to update my local outlook from my hotmail acnt..
by shmody / October 26, 2009 2:31 AM PDT

I'm unable to update my local outlook from my hotmail account. I'll look into getting Outlook at a discount though...

--S

Collapse -
ahhh...I'll give it a try...
by shmody / October 26, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Plug-in needed

ahhh...I'll give it a try...

But be aware, I've also got some very peculiar problem that some others have not been able to solve even with a re-install - I can't access/change the calender either - everything is pretty much "read only"

Hope this works. If not, it's probably okay - I may just upgrade anyhow...

Thanks soo much!
--S

Collapse -
More info?
by Slikkster / October 26, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

Shalin, I love mysteries like this with software (now that's geeky!). Can you give more info about the calendar not working?

You said it was both read-only but also that you couldn't access it. Do you mean you couldn't access it to edit it but you could still read it? Is this a home version out Outlook not connected to an Exchange server? What version of Outlook?

Do you get a pop-up message when you try to add anything to the calendar, or exactly what does happen?

If you don't mind some sleuthing, I'm game for the exercise.

Collapse -
ooookay...you asked for it. ;)
by shmody / October 26, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: More info?

ooookay...you asked for it. Wink
I think I posted this on some CNET forum...well, here's the deal:

Anyone had this error using Outlook 2003 Professional:

"The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook."

so I restarted Outlook, same problem; I restarted the whole machine - same proble.

What I can do: my inbox which is connected to my Hotmail account refreshes when I click on the "Inbox" under "Hotmail" in the "All Mail Folders" area on the left.
What I can't do: I can't create a "New" message, nor can I "Reply", "Reply to All" or "Forward" a message - I get the error above for all the items.
Also, When I hit "Send/Receive", NOTHING happens.

Also, I able to see the calendar but can't schedule anything on my calender - it's basically "read only".

I go to this site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898854
and when I get to step 4 - after I click on "E-mail Accounts" it does NOTHING. No other window opens, etc. - nothing. I'm stuck.

Another couple sites I've seen: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/275186
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t198020-trouble-with-outlook-2003-pro.html

ANY IDEAS!?!?! this really stinks...

Collapse -
Ok...couple of ideas
by Slikkster / October 27, 2009 2:39 AM PDT

A lot of people get this error when it comes time to try and print something. This isn't your issue, so I'll ignore the suggestions having to do with that right now.

But, I have seen that people who have non-native Add-In's can get this error, too. Here's one guys solution --turned out to be his Google toolbar Add-In in Outlook, but note that it could be ANY Add-In, so I would give them all a shot:

"In Outlook 2003:

Click Tools > Click Options > Click Other tab > Click Advanced Options.

Click the Add-In Manager button. Remove any reference to Google desktop. (or any other Add-In not native to Outlook) Click ok.

Note:

Do the same series of tasks for the "Com Add-Ins" button."

So again, the Google reference above may or may not apply to your Outlook. The real test is to uncheck any/all Add-Ins and Com Add-Ins and test. Close Outlook. I would reboot for safe measure and try the program again. You can always re-enable the Add-Ins if it doesn't prove to the be the solution.

If you uncheck them all and find it now works, then you would probably want to check them individually and retest to see when the problem comes back. Or, you could uncheck individually and retest (after shutting outlook and rebooting) and see which, if any, solve the issue.

If none of those steps help, you can always create a new profile and point it to your existing "PST" mail folders. Very simple to do, and you don't lose anything (except for maybe a Signature that you would have to recreate).

Follow the steps here:

http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm

Make sure you do NOT "copy existing profile", because if the current one is corrupt, the new one will inherit that, too.

Collapse -
(NT) will have to try this on the weekend...thanks!
by shmody / October 27, 2009 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok...couple of ideas
Collapse -
(NT) Any luck with this Shalin?
by Slikkster / November 3, 2009 2:46 AM PST
Collapse -
sorry, didn't get a chance this past weekend...
by shmody / November 3, 2009 4:14 AM PST

Will have s'more time this week/weekend though, I'll post my results shortly after. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Entourage, it's the best! :)
by anonymousjoseph / October 26, 2009 11:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.