Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

E-mail:550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard

by ilove2survey / April 6, 2006 12:59 AM PDT

I had to reinstall my PeoplePC software. Prior to reinstallation I could forward funny emails to everyone in my address book at one time. Now if I try to mail everyone at once I get this error message: 550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard

But I can still send messages as long as there are no more than 5 recipients.

My e-mail client is IncrediMail and I have preformed all of their help instructions. Upon which they said if problem persist contact service provider.

My ISP is PeoplePC, version 6.2. I've e-mailed tech support 2x and no answer.

My OS is WinXP Home Edition, version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 : Service Pack 2). I checked the Microsoft web site and they list all kinds of info - but it is way beyond my understanding.

Can anyone give me a plain English step-by-step way to fix this problem.

Thanks,
ilove2survey

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: E-mail:550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: E-mail:550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"no more than 5 recipients." Best guess?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2006 1:30 AM PDT

This is one of the many antispam tools ISPs are not employing. Why a home user would need to send copies to more than 5 is debatable and I won't debate it here.

I know ISPs that are turning this on and I agree with it.

Bob

Collapse -
550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
by Suellen G / September 11, 2007 1:08 AM PDT

Well, as a home user, I also belong to an investment club with 10 members. I also have a medium size family who I like to send photo's to, and my son is on a soccer team. all those have greater than 5 people on the list. sooooooooo..... once again, the people with valid use of the internet have to 'deal' with those that abuse it.

Collapse -
Maybe...
by sbfrank / August 18, 2009 8:26 AM PDT

Maybe some people have 6 relatives?

Collapse -
E-mail:550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard
by lyard3518 / August 13, 2007 3:26 AM PDT

I have had the same problem today. I found no helpful information on the internet. Instead I started sending test mails to groups of people. Starting with 5 I moved up incrementally until I reached 36 people. Never once did the email get bounced. Finally, I started looking at the actual addresses. I had just added some new email addresses to my address book. One of those email addresses had a period (.) at the end of it. When that email address was included, the entire message was bounced for all addresses.

I would suggest that you look through your email list and see if any of the addresses are not properly formated (i.e. a standard johnsmith@yahoo.com). If any of them look funny, try sending a test message to that address with some others you know are okay. If the message fails, then you know you have found the problem.

Further, the email my be a good address, but it might just have an extra character in it. This problem happened to me when I was trying to add all the email addresses from a church prayer list to my address book. Somehow, one of the addresses had a period (.) added to the end of the address. Since I was adding some many addresses at one time, I did not notice that a period had been added.

Hope this helps. It is amazing how the smallest things can mess you up. I have spent the past 2 hours trying to figure this out.

have a blessed day1
taylor

Collapse -
Helpful response
by gopherhill / June 17, 2008 6:18 AM PDT

This was exactly my problem, using Apple Mail and Earthlink to send something to 2 colleagues. Turned out that autofill had stuck part of one email address in the wrong place on the address bar. I just re-entered the addresses manually and it worked. Thank you.

Collapse -
That helped!
by solrek4 / November 9, 2012 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: Helpful response

Turned out one of the addresses I was replying to, was utter garbage! Question is, why did the original incoming mail not get bounced as well?

Collapse -
ilove2survey
by tomron / August 15, 2007 12:47 PM PDT

Did you try this LINK

Tom

Collapse -
550 message
by hobbymaker / March 24, 2010 1:12 AM PDT

why would my group e-mail list stop working all of a sudden has been working for years - now everything comes back on all of my different list.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.