TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVR from Broadcast?

by fmiller13 / May 14, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

I don't pay for cable tv because most of the programs are reruns or not worth watching. I have tv's in my bedroom, kitchen and livingroom that are relatively new but analog tuned. I also have DVD recorders that seemingly will become bricks when the analog signal dies. Are there DVD recorders or DVR's with digital tuners being made for receiving broadcast signals?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVR from Broadcast?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVR from Broadcast?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2008 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: DVR from Broadcast?

Why would the brick happen? Wouldn't you just add the new DTV conversion box?

Collapse -
DVD Recorder
by fmiller13 / May 15, 2008 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

Because the analog tuner for the tv and thus the DVD recorder is now obsolete, the ability to schedule more than one channel to be recorded while unattended is eliminated. The only channel the recorder will receive is the one that is selected on the converter box.

Collapse -
Just replaced my DVR.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Recorder

No brick issue here. Sorry but something's amiss here. Nothing has changed and won't for many months. Are you creating a problem that does not exist?

Collapse -
Not Sure
by fmiller13 / May 16, 2008 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Just replaced my DVR.

I haven't figured out if I have a problem or not but if the tuner on most tv sets over a couple years old are analog, I'm guessing that the DVD recorder tuners are also analog from that same time period because I've yet to see any of them advertize that they'll decode digital broadcast signals as those coming in feb 2009.

Collapse -
After the change you can
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Not Sure

Add an external decoder. You may be unaware of IR BLASTER programs or devices to change the channel, etc. The reason you see nothing is its not time yet. Only the dumbest of manufacturers would make new OTA devices and put them on in the supply chain. They would suffer greatly with no sales.

I see your concern but there is no issue and won't be for some time.
Bob

Collapse -
It is a problem now
by f7_hats_f7 / July 22, 2008 11:39 AM PDT

The antenna in my attic feeds the HD converter with broadcast digital signals. The HD converter feeds the analog TV and VCR - both must stay on channel 3. The VCR can record, but only what the HD converter sends to it (whatever channel the HD converter is on) and the VCR can't change the channel on the HD converter. I have looked for a DVR that doesn't require a subscription - they don't seem to exist. I don't know what you mean by "It's not time yet". I am getting digital converted to analog now and recording is limited. Anybody that has one of these HD converters has this problem now. I don't want to build my own or use a PC or any other rig. I just want to unplug my VCR and plug in a DVR. I don't really care if it has DVD or not, just an internal hard disk for temporary storage.

Collapse -
Digital tuned DVR/DVD recorders are made.
by fmiller13 / July 22, 2008 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: It is a problem now

I did find a few DVR's with both hard drives and DVD burners that have digital tuners. I didn't find an outlet in the US at the time but the Pioneer DVR 640H-DVD recorder has tuning for both analog and digital signals and I saw pricing around $300.00 but didn't find anyone who had it available. I'll bet they'll come out with more once the switch takes place. I'm considering putting my DVD recorders up on Ebay.

Collapse -
Thanks
by f7_hats_f7 / July 22, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

Thanks, I was looking at for something like that just now. I guess if it doesn't have a converter builtin, it will have to be put in between the antenna and the converter. I don't know why they are waiting for the switch. If they are selling the converters, they should know the DVRs would sell, too.

Collapse -
Yes
by gabereyes / May 15, 2008 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: DVR from Broadcast?

Tivo makes an HDTV DVR.

LG, Panasonic, philips, and sony all make a DVD recorder with a DTV tuner built in.

Collapse -
DVR
by fmiller13 / May 16, 2008 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

I don't want to pay a monthly fee.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.