TVs & Home Theaters forum

Alert

dvi to hdmi problem with nvidia 9800gt

by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 9:22 AM PDT

I have an nvidia 9800gt that i am trying to connect to a samsung led tv via dvi to hdmi cable. in my nvidia control panel it does NOT let me select what type of connector i am using, and has vga listed for both my tv, and the monitor i am using currently (an old lcd using a dvi to vga adapter). it may be as simple as finding drivers that lets me change this, but i have used the most recent, version 266.58 and ones from 2010 (when this was my main computer) and none would allow that.

the tv will work fine during booting, even loading windows, however as soon as it should go to the user account screen, the tv will lose signal. it also works fully when booted in safe mode, although there i believe it will not let me use full 1366x720 resolution.

im using w7 64 ult, 4gb ram, e4500 c2d

apologies if i left out any info, i'll be happy to add more. thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: dvi to hdmi problem with nvidia 9800gt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: dvi to hdmi problem with nvidia 9800gt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What is this user account screen? Logon?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:29 AM PDT

In short it sounds like a settings issue. Nvidia has their own control panel so be sure to use that.
Bob

Collapse -
yes,
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 9:34 AM PDT

the logon screen. i am using it, the native resolution, the resolution that safe mode uses, and anything in between does not do anything. all at 60hz.

Collapse -
PS. Oh, but how?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:30 AM PDT

-> Safe Mode. <-

Collapse -
??
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. Oh, but how?

what does this post mean?

Collapse -
I had to make the changes in safe mode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

It's a classic driver or settings issue. The 9800 is a little long in the tooth so let's hope you've been around the driver hunts a few times.
Bob

Collapse -
Oops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

Sorry but for folk with such old gear I make bad assumptions they know what Windows Safe Mode is.

At least it's widely discussed on the internet now.
Bob

Collapse -
op
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 9:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops.

did you not read in my op that i said it DOES work in safe mode? not at the correct resolution or by use of the drivers. yes its old, i built it in 2008, it doesnt mean that it shouldnt work... do you have a recommendation of what drivers to use or are you just suggesting that i run it in safe mode for eternity

Collapse -
Yes I did.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: op

And that's not what I wrote about. I had to make the changes in safe mode. My suggestions are that it's likely a Nvidia control panel setting but it's been 3 years since I've tinkered with a 9800 so I'm only going to share what I recall.
Bob

Collapse -
problem
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 9:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes I did.

is that nvdia drivers dont load in safe mode from all ive seen, otherwise i doubt the capped res and single monitor would be an issue.

one time i tried, right click --> ncp was not an option.

Collapse -
Then it's time to
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: problem

Rip out the drivers that are not working and do it over.

However I don't have your specific card so I can't check for the old HDCP issue. It may confuse some but lower safe mode resolutions do work, higher definition modes fail for this old issue.

Be sure to check if your DVI has HDCP.
Bob

Collapse -
drivers
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Then it's time to

i've tried 5-6 sets of drivers ranging from 2009 19x.xx to the newest 314.xx versions

why would hdcp not work on the pre loading windows screen if it would then on the desktop? how do i check/change that? isnt that an operating system thing and has nothing to do with my hardware?

can you go a bit more in depth in your answers? kinda just spinning off more questions each time as is

Collapse -
Simple. Because those screens may not be HD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: drivers

Sorry but I can't get any more deep as long as there is so much unknown. We do know that there are many versions of the 9800, some rare ones were AGP and troublesome. Some didn't have HDCP and you would see this on HDMI (which mandates HDCP in HD modes).

If you want to reveal all the details in a reply to your top post, that would help.
Bob

Collapse -
done
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 10:40 AM PDT

done

Collapse -
Just thinking out loud.
by Oldartq / May 13, 2013 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: problem

"safe" mode display always have a refresh rate of 60hz..right? So what would happen if we change the resolution but keeping the refresh rate at 60hz.

Collapse -
gfx card
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 10:40 AM PDT

would need to open the comp to find exact brand, let me know if thats necessary

it is dual dvi out, 512mb vram, 256 bit width, g92 chipset, revision A2, 65nm, pci e 2.0

(wasnt 7800 the last agp card they put out?)

Collapse -
OK, does it sound like this card?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: gfx card
Collapse -
gpu
by tloft4 / May 13, 2013 12:04 PM PDT
Collapse -
While interesting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: gpu

That doesn't nail it for me to find the card's make, model and capabilities.

This means we can only try the usual such as remove all drivers and see if we can crawl forward and hope for it to work.

At least it wasn't that rare old AGP version.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, I saw BFG Tech
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2013 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: While interesting.

But that only narrowed it to a few dozen models. Still, I'd wonder if the old rip it all out (drivers) and fresh install with the DVI to HDMI only would cure it .

It's too likely that something is hanging around from your VGA days.
Bob

Collapse -
nope
by tloft4 / May 16, 2013 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, I saw BFG Tech

didnt work

boots fine without drivers in 1280x720, but wont work past user login in 1366x768 (supported by the tv)

Collapse -
I noted this before
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2013 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: nope

stick with 720 but the make/model of all things is missing.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.