Samsung forum

General discussion

DVI to HDMI does not work from Laptop to Samsung LED TV

by mstrelan / July 20, 2010 11:22 PM PDT

I have a Samsung 46" Series 6 LED TV Model number UA46C6900VF. In the HDMI/DVI port I have a DVI to HDMI cable which is connected to my laptop. The laptop detects there is a Samsung HDTV connected and allows me to choose 1920x1080 etc, but the Source List on the TV says "This source is not connected. Please check the connection again." Has anyone else had this same issue? I have renamed the source to DVI PC but that had no effect.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVI to HDMI does not work from Laptop to Samsung LED TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVI to HDMI does not work from Laptop to Samsung LED TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2010 11:28 PM PDT

I found a few DVI ports don't support HDCP (see google) and those don't work on many HDTVs. Sadly this nugget seems to cost folk a lot of lost time.
Bob

Collapse -
wtf!
by mstrelan / July 20, 2010 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup.

are you serious? that sounds lame as. is there a way around it? how can i tell if this is what is happening with my laptop? it is an asus f8sa with ati mobility radeon hd 2600

Collapse -
Wait. That laptop has HDMI?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2010 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: wtf!
Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2010 11:47 PM PDT

A common answer in this forum is to name that input PC.

It's in the manual for the TV too.

Collapse -
nope
by mstrelan / July 21, 2010 7:43 AM PDT
In reply to: PS.

Nope, the laptop doesn't have HDMI. And I tried naming it PC (as well as DVI and DVI PC) but they didn't work either. Man, digital blows

Collapse -
nope
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 21, 2010 11:32 AM PDT
In reply to: nope

mstrelan,

Have you tried updating your video card (DVI) drivers? Often times, small fixes or updates make a big difference.

--HDTech

Collapse -
drive updater didn't help, tv firmware upgrade doesn't work
by mstrelan / July 21, 2010 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: nope

I upgraded my gfx card drivers to Catalyst 10.6 and it didn't help (rebooted computer and tv). It doesn't really make sense suggesting it's a computer issue since the computer detects the tv fine.

I then tried to upgrade the tv firmware with this file http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=AU&CttFileID=3014435&CDCttType=FM&ModelType=N&ModelName=UA46C6900VF&VPath=FM/201005/20100528190544062/T-VALDEUC.exe but when I put in the USB it comes up saying software upgrade, scanning for usb. It then says no firmware file found. I have tried extracting the exe first as well as deleting everything else off the usb. I tried formatting as ntfs and fat32.

I'm really losing faith in Samsung products after also being affected by this thread http://forums.cnet.com/5208-4_102-0.html?threadID=370981 and I also have a 22" LCD Samsung TV that I have sent away for warranty twice in 12 months.

To the Samsung rep: Can you confirm what R. Proffitt says about HDCP? Also is this likely to work if I bought a DVI to Component cable?

Collapse -
drive updater didn't help, tv firmware upgrade doesn't work
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2010 11:33 AM PDT

mstrelan,

The .exe file has to be launched on the computer's desktop, and then loaded onto a freshly formatted drive. The television can't install a .exe file like a computer can.

I can't confirm either way, but Rob has a lot of experience with consumer electronics. I don't know how the computer is designed in terms of HDCP. Typically a driver update or a BIOS update fixes those issues.

DVI is a digital cable, while component is an analog cable. So that probably won't work. DVI and HDMI are both digital.

--HDTech

Collapse -
TV Firmware upgrade
by mstrelan / July 22, 2010 11:53 AM PDT

"I have tried extracting the exe first as well as deleting everything else off the usb. I tried formatting as ntfs and fat32." - myself, above

The instructions I saw are conflicting. One says "there must be only one directory on the drive" and shows a screenshot of the drive with only the directory, and no exe. When running the exe, however, the instructions say to copy the exe to the drive and then run it, which would result in both the exe and the directory being on the drive, differing from the screenshot.

Either way the firmware upgrade doesn't work.

Thanks for the advice about the component cable.

Collapse -
TV Firmware upgrade
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / July 22, 2010 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: TV Firmware upgrade

mstrelan,

You might try calling the Samsung customer service center in your region to see if they have an update available on USB or can assist with that particular firmware update. Unfortunately, I'm not able to test that on TVs in my (U.S.) region.

An avenue to consider, anyway.

The interesting part is that the TV is noting that you're not geting a signal (meaning that it's not seeing anything), rather than "Mode Not Supported (which indicates that there's a resolution incompatibility), so I'm questioning if the signal is making it to the TV. You noted that you're able to see the TV on the PC, but I wonder why that connection isn't translating to the TV.

You're using the port that says HDMI/DVI on it, correct?

And you've updated the computer's video card and all that...??

If so, I'm stumped. The only chance I can think something might be different is the DVI to HDMI cable. I usually don't see people post about those. They typically have a HDMI cable with a DVI connector on one end. A last ditch effort if your retailer has a return policy is to get an HDMI cable, and then attach a HDMI/DVI converter on one end and see if that works.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDMI cable
by mstrelan / July 22, 2010 1:21 PM PDT

Thanks for the tip! Perhaps also the DVI to HDMI cable is poor quality. I've read about people having cables that are too long getting bad quality video. Mine is only 1.5m but was just a cheapy. I have a spare hdmi cable so I will try a HDMI to DVI adapter.

Collapse -
DVI/HDMI adapter
by mstrelan / August 4, 2010 8:45 AM PDT

This is now working with a HDMI cable attached to a DVI adapter! Not sure if the other cable was just crap or whether there was something else going wrong but thanks again for this tip.

Collapse -
DVI/HDMI adapter
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / August 5, 2010 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: DVI/HDMI adapter

mstrelan,

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Best,

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.