TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVI, HDMI, Output

by only1junior / February 14, 2006 10:56 AM PST

Please I need some opinions here. What has a better picture DVI, HDMI, I want to get the Denon DVD Player and deciding on two of them DVD 2910 or the DVD 1920 for my Sharp Aquos LC-45GD5U, which has both of these inputs on the TV. Which of these is better picture & sound quality.

Thank You

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVI, HDMI, Output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVI, HDMI, Output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI HAS AUDIO
by BONSPEED / February 14, 2006 11:53 AM PST
In reply to: DVI, HDMI, Output

HDMI IS SIMPLY THE HOME VIDEO VERSION OF DVI. VIDEO QUALITY REMAINS THE SAME.THE DENON 2910 HAS AN SOLID REPUTATION, BUT TAKE A LOOK AT PANASONIC DVD S97S. CONSIDERED BY MANY TO BE AN EXCELLANT PERFORMER AND ON PAR WITH THE DENON MODEL, BUT AT A FRACTION OF PRICE. ($240 AT JR.COM)

Collapse -
Thank You for your reply.
by only1junior / February 14, 2006 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: HDMI HAS AUDIO

Thank You for your reply.

Collapse -
DVI, HDMI, Output
by jcrobso / February 15, 2006 12:35 AM PST

Yes, HDMI has audio and massive amponts of copy protection stuff. But the video quality is the same for both. John

Collapse -
amponts of copy protection ???
by only1junior / February 15, 2006 9:47 AM PST

amponts of copy protection ???? what is that???

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Finger check,,, read it as amounts. John
by jcrobso / February 16, 2006 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
I OWN THE DENON 2910
by stewart norrie / February 16, 2006 6:32 AM PST

I output using d.v.i to my new Toshiba 72HM195 t.v. and the picture is awsome also h.d.m.i. or d.v.i. are the same

Collapse -
DVI vs. HDMI
by kgalbreth / February 18, 2006 12:46 PM PST

As the previous posts state, HDMI has audio and DVI doesn't. Some will tell you that HDMI has more bandwidth, and less loss for longer feeds.
Draw back to HDMI is that there is no securing the plug, no thumbscrews. The opportunity exists for the plug to come loose, while DVI connects like a computer monitor. DVI still has the HDCP state.

Collapse -
DVD HDMI to DVI-D Monitors .. 1080i not possible ....
by wolsieffer / June 25, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

Sorta the same Question .. .. Statement: -- I tryed to hook-up my DVD Recorder to my 1440 X 900 Monitor and it was detected at 480i. after playing with the setting, on my Recorder Options, everything seem to work except .. 1080i & 1366i !?! .. .. My Question is: why will most older DVI-D monitors read/use the HDMI Pin 6 & 7 signals to DVI but the HDMI-to-DVI-D cables don't even connect the Wired Cables from HDMI Pin 6 & 7 to its DVI-D connectors? ( I've tryed to figure-out why HDMI-to-DVI cables ignore these {RED +0} and {GREEN -1} pins and still sell them to the public but; this kind of reasoning is totally beyond me ) ?? Can
you Help; on explaining this oversight ?? --JW of MPLS, Mn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.