Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

DvdRip Blu-ray problems

by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 28, 2011 11:48 PM PDT

Hello! Recently i got a 3D TV Which supports Full-HD, so i wanted to try 1080p or 720p Movies, so i downloaded a 720P Blu-ray movie, which was a .mkv which simple doesn't play on Xbox, Neither does Blu-ray, So i converted it to a mp4 file but it doesn't appear on Xbox? Is it cause of blu-ray or something? This is from PC to Xbox Streaming, also are all HD Movies that are +720p Blu-ray? Since every movie i find is Blu-ray, Can i download a normal movie and then convert it to HD and it will work? Since every ******* movie which is HD+ is blu-ray

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DvdRip Blu-ray problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DvdRip Blu-ray problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Complicated topic/More info needed
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 12:53 AM PDT

Keep in mind all MP4s are not the same. MKV & MP4s are just containers. It's how they are encoded that is the crux of the issue.

Ideally what you could do to avoid some of the various incompatibilities of XBOX/PS3/etc. is utilize software that handles the formats/codecs correctly and sends them directly to the HDTV, avoiding the monkey in the middle problem of a arguably less flexible game system. Try the same MKV file with VLC player, for example. It's still entirely possible that you have downloaded a file using a proprietary codec which one of the 'swiss army knife' type players (like VLC or GOM) still will have trouble with out of the box. The following pages might be of use to you-
http://www.matroska.org/technical/guides/playback/windows/index.html

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_play_mkv.cfm

There's some excellent reading here on the blu ray format-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

FWIW, Mediainfo is useful tool IME to see what's under the hood of a particular file-
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Over the long run it's better to find a way to play the original file instead of converting/transcoding just to accomodate a particular standalone device. One exception might be if you cannot run adequate cables from your PC to HDTV, or need to find a way to get HD content to older SD equipment/systems, like the trusty DVD player/Sony Trinitron in my guest bedroom ;). Some HD movies/files get converted to standard DVD using the ConvertXtoDVD app.

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 29, 2011 2:59 AM PDT

My TV supports DLNA, i tried with DLNA aswell and had no succes, the file doesn't appear, i only got a Xbox, and a Digital Box, and not a blu-ray 3D Reader at the moment, so, this MKV file which is a 720p blu-ray is a mkv file which i converted to a mp4, which should work on Xbox, (It doesn't)And i know VLC Player, the main problem is that i need to play it on my TV and not PC, I was wondering about HDMI cable from PC To TV. but transfering is a better way. And ConvertXtoDVD is it paid or? since every converter is paid and only offers 3minute converting. Main problem is that i got a mkv that is HD and blu-ray which i want to play on my HDTV. the only things i got is Xbox 360 and HDMI cables. I also got DLNA

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 29, 2011 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re

The main problem is that Xbox can't read blu-ray but it should via DLNA style, and it's a mkv, every damn HD movie is everytime a .mkv or blu-ray

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 29, 2011 3:20 AM PDT

here's the info with the tool i used (MediaInfo)

General
Unique ID : 223257548693713296263032683761659206724 (0xA7F5D6FF5BF12B02812DE130155ADC44)
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\

Collapse -
4.1 profile
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 4:02 AM PDT

Hmmm...it seems to have the correct profile. Let me know if Gotsent had any effect in permitting the file to be played on your XBOX.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Forgot about GotSent
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 4:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
DLNA is buggy
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 4:00 AM PDT

That's a topic in itself. Many folks shy away for various reasons, including the fact that in truth it supports few formats/codec combinations. PC to HDTV via HDMI would be the idea route if you could try it.

ConvertXtoDVD is indeed a paid solution, but won't help since it produces SD content.

If you want to see the mess/workaround I've seen posted for XBOX, see the following thread:

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/89862.aspx?PageIndex=1

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 29, 2011 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: DLNA is buggy

I guess so, just one question, will the Xbox read the Blu-ray Through DLNA? Since Xbox doesn't read Blu-ray, but since it's the PC that's reading it and not the Xbox i guess it works? Grin

Collapse -
Bad terminology
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 5:00 AM PDT

'Blu ray' is ideally used if you are referring to using a blu ray disc to playback high def content as such. XBOX doesn't play blu ray discs per se, but can play back some similar high def content when encoded right. The pressing question is, will the Gotsent software (etc.) do an adequate job of converting the file containing high defintions content (1080i/720p/1080p) to a format that may be read by your XBOX(?)

I don't think DLNA is involved here, and I would encourage you to keep the process as simple as possible. HDMI from PC to HDTV would be my first choice for maximum playback ability, but second choice would be to find something to convert specifically for high def file playback via your XBOX.

After you try Gotsent please follow up here if you can.

Collapse -
Don't ask me why, but...
by ahtoi / March 29, 2011 8:59 AM PDT

maybe you need "silverlight" for the xbox. I have no idea what it is.

Collapse -
Maybe
by Pepe7 / March 29, 2011 1:38 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 30, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

Silverlight isn't out for Xbox 360, it will be out end of 2011 and fix all these bullshit things since it will support Full HD, and source reading :P.
Anyway, i'm trying out Gotsent now, had exams yesterday :S

Collapse -
You noticed
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 30, 2011 3:07 AM PDT

how the forum filters filtered out certain words?

I would be careful of that in the future.

Mark

Collapse -
Don't count on it fixing everything
by Pepe7 / March 30, 2011 1:11 PM PDT

Keep in mind it *is* coming from Microsoft Wink

Collapse -
re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 31, 2011 1:41 AM PDT

Meh, just tried today with Gotsent, it creates same error, it works fine on the Computer but not on my TV Via DLNA/Xbox It doesn't appear, also it comes up errors with could not convert AAC or something. and it converts to a different audio. i guess taking the HDMI from my Xbox and putting it on my computer to TV Would fix it?

Collapse -
re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 31, 2011 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: re

Just another message, is Gotsent meant to create the video playable via PC to Xbox transfer? since it's failing =(

Collapse -
Another problem is...
by Pepe7 / March 31, 2011 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: re

...the files you are working with/trying to convert might have different characteristics that require other avenues perhaps. I believe DLNA may be partially to blame here though, even if you're getting the audio profile correct.
But I'm certainly no XBOX expert, that's for sure.

Just to better understand your methods- are you simply converting the files, burning them to disc and throwing them in the XBOX to play on your HDTV via HDMI(?) If that's not working definitely test out the original file(s) (pre-conversion, mind you) with a simple HDMI to HDTV connection using VLC as the player. If that's not working, you would benefit IMO from looking at the sources of your blu ray rips as at least one potential issue too.

Collapse -
re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 31, 2011 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Another problem is...

I'm just doing nothing after convert, all i do is to get the mp4 movie files (split to 2) And put them in my video library and stream from PC to Xbox (It's like DLNA but works better)

Collapse -
Please elaborate a little
by Pepe7 / March 31, 2011 4:08 AM PDT

I want to understand what you mean since it's not clear as written.

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / March 31, 2011 9:37 PM PDT

Tried again, with now converting everything, (took about 5hours) And made it 2GB larger, i added 254 HQ in it, still it doesn't show up on Xbox, should i just go for the HDMI transfer?

Collapse -
why not? ;)
by Pepe7 / April 1, 2011 12:13 AM PDT

Why wouldn't you make things easier? Converting is a pain in the posterior region ;).

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / April 2, 2011 12:00 AM PDT
In reply to: why not? ;)

Cause i got some errors about AAC When using the fast method, still the movie worked but didn't show up, it didn't show up after converted aswell, my computer is old and doesn't got a HDMI output lol, when was HDMI added anyway

Collapse -
hmmm
by Pepe7 / April 2, 2011 12:18 AM PDT

I'd say you are in trouble on three counts. First, your PC needs to be upgraded, second, your source material is suspect, and third, converting isn't working ;(.

Luckily a cheap desktop for $200-300 could do what you need. Quite easily, actually. Heck, make a dedicated HTPC while you are at it ;).

Collapse -
Re
by Iseewhatyoudidther / April 2, 2011 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmm

The Desktop is kinda old, inside it it's pretty new since it gets upgraded very well, I don't see a HDMI output on it though. other then that i normally did just stream normal movies from PC to Xbox, i wanted to try HD movies cause of my new tv, and it seems all of them are mkv which doesn't work even after conversion =(

Collapse -
Then why fight this?
by ahtoi / April 2, 2011 5:38 AM PDT

You probably can get a media player that will support your download video for under $100. The xbox for game playing.

Collapse -
Seagate Theater +
by Pepe7 / April 2, 2011 11:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Then why fight this?
Collapse -
That one certainly look like it can handle...
by ahtoi / April 2, 2011 1:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Seagate Theater +

anything you can throw at it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.