Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD won't show up in Finder

by benkfoster / June 9, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

When i insert some discs into my optical drive, they don't show up in finder, and won't play in DVD player. i looked in my disc utilities, and it sees the dvd there. I can play the dvd in VLC player, but i can't access it in other programs. the same problem is happening with some data dvds i've burned, however, some still work. Any clue what's going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD won't show up in Finder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD won't show up in Finder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this to start
by Dan Filice / June 9, 2007 7:15 AM PDT

Open your System Preferences (either from the pull-down menu under the Apple icon in the far upper-left or from your Dock), then under Hardware there is a "CD&DVD" button. Click that, then you can choose what you want your computer to do when you insert a disc. It may have "Ignore" chosen as the default. You can choose any application you want to open (like DVD Player) or to have the disc icon just show up n the Finder when you insert it.

Collapse -
by benkfoster / June 9, 2007 3:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this to start

I tried, didn't help. any other suggestion?

Collapse -
Those data disks,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 11:35 AM PDT

how did you burn them?
Straight from the Finder or with a utility like Toast?

Same question for the DVD's. Commercial DVD's (test the player with these) or movies that have been burned as backups?

Collapse -
RE: DVD problem
by benkfoster / June 9, 2007 3:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Those data disks,

The data disks were burnt using finder. Just drag and dropped.

The Movie disks were both ones i've purchased, and back ups i made. The back ups were made with toast 8. I lookes like they show up in toast.

Collapse -
Sorry to jump in, but "drag and dropped."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: DVD problem

"drag and dropped." has always caused issues like this. For DVDs and many other things I always find closed SINGLE SESSION recordings to work best.

Collapse -
Commercial DVD's
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: DVD problem

You are saying that commercial DVD's do not mount or play on your computer?
Is that correct?

You then say that you can play these DVD's using VLC. Do you have another Optical Drive that you are using to play those DVD's?

You have not told us what Mac you have, how old it is or what OS you are running on it, but it could be that something is not quite right in the (software) state of Denmark.
I know this is old, but, run the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions on that drive.
Did it make any difference?

Another interesting thing is that you say that the disks that do not mount, appear in Toast. How so? If the disk does not mount on the desktop, if is unlikely to appear in Toast. Maybe not impossible, but unlikely.

As Bob mentioned, Drag and Drop can be problematical, on either platform, with mixed results for any given burn. Toast, on a Mac, is the preferred method of burning.
Make sure that you have the Recorder Settings > Advanced; set to "Write Disk" and not "Write Session". This is another problematic area with the Mac. Most times it will work correctly but when you most need the data, it will not. BTW, Session written disks appear as separate volumes on the desktop.

Anyway, there's a few questions, look forward to the answers.

Collapse -
iBook G4
by benkfoster / June 10, 2007 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Commercial DVD's

Sorry i didn't mention that stuff. I have an iBook G4 running OSX 10.4.9

Commercial DVDs do not show up on the desk top, and they will not play in Apple DVD player. However, using the same optical drive, i can play the movie in VLC player. when i open toast 8, and select copy disc, it says "Copy summary: <no volume>" and then has the size of the dvd under it. this one being "7.46 GB"

When i went into disc utility and click on that drive, Repairing disc permissions is grayed out. Should i try with a data dvd? this on is a commerial dvd.

Collapse -
I wonder (this is a question.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: iBook G4

What make/model/firmware version is that DVD drive?

I vaguely recall this when the drive was not blessed by Apple.

Collapse -
DVD Drive
by benkfoster / June 10, 2007 4:57 AM PDT

the DVD drive is a MATSHITADVD-R UJ-845E.

It's the same one that came in the ibook.

Collapse -
Firmware version?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD Drive

I remembered it mattered.

Collapse -
Not sure
by benkfoster / June 10, 2007 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Firmware version?

I'm not sure as to how to find that information. Please let me know.

Collapse -
Toast and commercial DVDs
by Dan Filice / June 10, 2007 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Not sure

By the way, being an owner of Toast and other great Roxio products, I can tell you that Toast will not copy a commercial DVD. Toast may recognize it and load it for playback, but it won't copy it...unless you can tell me different. You need to use a DVD rip program first before using Toast, but that's a whole other post discussion.

When you go to System Preferences as you say you did, what option did you choose for when you insert a DVD? Is "Launch DVD Player" chosen?

Collapse -
To play in DVD
by benkfoster / June 10, 2007 12:32 PM PDT

DVD are supposed to open DVD player.

Yeah, i didn't use toast to rip the dvds, just to compress them and burn them.

Collapse -
Well. I'm stumped
by Dan Filice / June 10, 2007 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: To play in DVD

After you insert a DVD, try double-clicking on your HD icon on the desktop. The window that is now open should show you along the left side, every device or disc that is mounted. Does a DVD show up there? Also, try launching DVD Player first, then "Open" a disc from the pull-down menu to see if the player will 'see" the disc. I gotta tell you, I've never come across a Mac with this problem. I'm stumped. Maybe one of the experts, like mrmacfixit, can figure it out.

Collapse -
I'm stumped too
by benkfoster / June 10, 2007 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Well. I'm stumped

No, the DVD isn't showing up in the side bar when i open up the Mac HD on my desk top. i guess it's not mounting properly for some reason. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out what's wrong with a computer when it isn't working properly. i was thinking i might try reinstalling OSX, but i don't like that because then i have to reinstall all the programs and updates i have.

Collapse -
Having gone through all the obvious
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Well. I'm stumped

reasons why this DVD player is not working, I guess it is time to try something else.

At this point I would go with an Archive and Install and see if that fixes the problem. I note that the poster has considered this but turned it down because of the updates. Not a really good excuse not to do it as the OS updates are automatic and don't require baby sitting.

Most of what has been written about this does seem to point toward a software problem.

It's worth a try, only takes 20 minutes or so and all your data remains intact.

Collapse -
"just to compress them and burn them." (DVD)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2007 9:52 PM PDT

Now these may or may not "just play."

There are too many gotchas in this area so I don't expect this to work using the method you noted.

VLCPLAYER will be more forgiving as to playback.

Collapse -
And why VLC Player??
by Dan Filice / June 11, 2007 5:05 AM PDT

Can I ask why you installed VLC Player? This is a cross-platform media player that for the most part, is not even needed on the Mac. Did you by chance download a PC version of this program? It may be possible that VLC Player has been set to override every other program and become the default video player. Why not delete this and see what happens? (Back it up just in case.) Unfortunately there have been too many PC people who gravitate to the Mac and they download a lot of crap that they don't need, but they do it because it was required on a PC and they are determined to try and operate the Mac like the PC. Scrape your Mac clean (backup and do a fresh reinstall of software as the boss here recommended) and start with a clean slate.

Collapse -
Archive and Install
by benkfoster / June 11, 2007 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: And why VLC Player??

Does Archive and Install delete other files that might be on my desktop or in my Picture or Music file? I've never done this before and don't want to lose anything.

Collapse -
Mrmacfixit may have your answer
by Dan Filice / June 11, 2007 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Archive and Install

I've never needed to do it, so I can't really tell you how it's done. When I reformatted my old computer I saved picture and document files to either a CD, DVD or external HD, then I use the original System Disc to do a clean install, which gets you back to square one. If you've downloaded programs, make a list of the serial numbers or registration numbers for each program, then re-downloading them should be easy, and simply add the registration number to get the proper access. Sometimes the websites where you download and purchase programs keep your registration numbers.

Collapse -
Archive and Install
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 10:25 AM PDT

As its name implies, the version of a System install archives various settings and files before replacing the actual system.
Anything in your Home folder, this includes the desktop but why not put the files inside the Home folder, is saved and put back where it was before the install.
All the iLife suite stuff, photo's, music, movies and the like are all preserved.
Any applications that you installed, other than those that came with OS X, are left intact in the Applications folder.
Network settings, email, Bookmarks, are all saved and reapplied on completion.

Boot from the installation/restore DVD, whichever is the newer, and step S L O W L Y through the initial steps. You should be presented with a warning about not being able to install unless you change your installation options. Change the option to Archive and Install. (Do NOT proceed unless you have done this) Loss of ALL data can result from a FORMAT and Install.

On completion, you will reboot and then try the DVD player. The system will need updating via the Software Updater to bring it up to the current version of your OS.

BTW, the Windows version of VLC will not run on a Mac. I have it on my machine, as do many others, for those video files that QuickTime cannot play.

Good luck

Collapse -
it worked
by benkfoster / June 13, 2007 3:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Archive and Install

so the archive install worked. not much problem with it. photoshop is kind of wonky, and i'll have to reinstall it, but otherwise everything a-ok. thank you guys so much for your help. you're really saved me on this one.

Collapse -
You did the work, we
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: it worked

just pointed you in the right direction.

You may find a couple of "wonky" programs, usually Adobe products, that will need "Repair". I had the same problem with Photoshop Elements.

Enjoy the movies!

Collapse -
by benkfoster / June 14, 2007 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: You did the work, we

Yeah, photoshop wants some repairs. but that's no problem. thanks again.

Collapse -
Easy fix for this
by diskraith / July 27, 2014 11:46 AM PDT

I just had this issue with a customer's computer. All you have to do is insert a dvd or cd, then drag and drop the cd icon from the desktop to the finder > devices area within finder.

Collapse -
This thread is more than 2605 days old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2014 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Easy fix for this

The OS versions have changed so let's let this old post finish with your post.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.