Camcorders

General discussion

DVD vs Mini-DV

by PWFleming / December 27, 2003 4:05 AM PST

Please help. My wife and I are about to have our first child, and I would like to buy a camcorder in the very near future to film home movies. I have been looking hard at the Sony DVD 100, but it seems to have very mixed reviews... of course, there doesn't seem to be a standout "best" camera either.

My reasons for wanting the DVD camera are that I told that it is very easy to film a video, make a movie, and then copy it to DVDs to watch at home or send to the grandparents. I am also told I can use the camera to copy old VHS movies to DVDs as well.

Please advise if you think this is the right way to go, or if I would be better off with something like the Sony DCR-TRV80, 33, or 22.

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD vs Mini-DV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD vs Mini-DV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:DVD vs Mini-DV
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2003 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: DVD vs Mini-DV

With some exception to the response item #1 at http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t27507.html I pretty much agree with the response. The diatribe about MPEG 2 and such washes away as its just the storage format your DVD players use. It will have to be that file format and people who know about XVid, DivX and other encoding amy turn up their noses at this standard. Ignore that since to make a compatible DVD, that's how its done. The rest pretty much is spot on. Short record times, short battery life and such.

If you have a PC, almost any Digital-8 or DV-can can work nicely. DVD recorders for a desktop run about 79 to 149 dollars and firewire cards are cheap.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD vs Mini-DV
by capt_dawg2002 / December 29, 2003 2:47 AM PST
In reply to: Re:DVD vs Mini-DV

I would have to say that there isn't really a cost justification for getting the DVD camcorders vs. the MiniDV's. Especially since all the MiniDV's can easily be transfered on your computer for editing and then burnt onto a DVD. Basically everyone has or has access to a CD/DVD Burner. Also, hooking up the camcorder to your TV doesn't take anytime at all. All I can see is further complications down the road with the DVD camcorders of compatibility issues with the lastest DVD players...if this camcorder came out before progressive scan technology and such that is now on our DVD players today, you would have been having compatibility issues. I can see a longer life and usuage out of the MiniDV's than the DVD camcorders. Good luck on your first child and might I recommend one of the Canon's. I personally own the Canon Elura 50 (I LOVE the size...but you can get ones with better picture quality, but the size will be bigger). Sony has way too much propietary stuff...that makes it hard to be compatible with everything. Canon is the only brand that has shown over the years that they are serious in the camera market for digital AND analog.

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD vs Mini-DV
by rcfriedberg / October 6, 2004 8:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:DVD vs Mini-DV

Well it is almost a year later. Any updates on DVD vs. MiniDV? (It is my turn to have a new baby and I want to get this right.)

Collapse -
Re:Re:DVD vs
by golf4less / October 8, 2004 6:29 AM PDT

For quality, I go for Mini-DV. For pocket money, I go for Mini-DV too. Here is the math:
DVD-Cam $900 + expensive media

Mini DV-Cam $600 + unexpensive reusable media
Recorder $200 + unexpensive media

Collapse -
Need help with downloading from mini-dv to pc
by Rainey525 / January 8, 2005 12:11 AM PST

I purchased a JVC mini dv camcorder and I'm pleased with it however, I'm having problems trying to burn a cd from the camcorder. I've tried the software that came with the camera and then I bought new software and tried that. I don't know what's the problem but I'm thinking that maybe I should try and use a firewire. I'm using the usb port. I don't think I have the other type of connection on my computer. By the way, I'm using my laptop to do all this. The software shows that it can be used by the usb port but when I try to do that, it won't burn to a cd.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to burn cd's for family members and for myself. Are there any issues about how to view them once they are made?

Collapse -
Re: Need help with downloading from mini-dv to pc
by bluey1 / January 30, 2005 7:07 PM PST

Hi, not sure what model you have but I have a JVC that is a couple of years old, and basically you cannot transfer the mini-dv tape directly to the pc via usb - what you can do is transfer data from the memory card (if it has one) via usb, so that means still pictures & mpeg recordings on memory. To transfer from the mini-dv tape directly to pc requires a firewire connection on your pc. Note that firewire cards for pc's are cheap, but not sure about laptops. Cheers!

Collapse -
...!?!
by noahthesaint / February 7, 2005 10:06 PM PST

Hello, i def have the same problem, i just bought a ZR80 and its mini DV, i was wondering if it was possible to connect the camcorder to the USB or something like that. how much does the firewhatever cost and which one is most efficient? thanks!

Collapse -
help with downloading from mini-dv to pc
by jcrobso / February 15, 2005 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: DVD vs Mini-DV
by richardbradbury / October 31, 2004 12:40 PM PST

The reason to stick with MiniDV over the DVD is cost and storage ability.

A DV camcorder records at a massive 3.5 megabyte per second.

Reasons to stick with tape.

1) When recording to the MiniDV tape you will get 60 minutes worth of recording for three to six dollars a tape.
2) When recording to the small DVD you only get approx. 15 to 30 minutes recording on a $10-12 small DVD-R/W.
3) All the professional DV camcordes are still tape. That's because it's still better. Check out the latest $5000.00 Canon XL2 MiniDV camcorder. Just released in Sept. 2004

Go to this link for more details-
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6500_7-5140339-1.html?tag=promo2

Good luck with your camcorder purchase. The 3 CCD units provide better color (check out Panasonic) and also buy some great software for making your own movies, ie Pinniacle Studio 9.0.

Collapse -
miniDV
by don13ger / January 8, 2005 4:02 PM PST

i personally think you should buy a miniDv camcorder.. dvd camcorders arent really fully developed yet.. there are a lot more benefits with a minidv cam... just my two cents ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.