Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD seen as blank but isn't!

by pbfan01 / May 22, 2007 11:51 PM PDT

I have this problem with just this one DVD-R, my sister made it for me and I started watching a video for 35 minutes. And I then stopped it without closing the program and put the PC on hibernate :unsure: , and then I put it back on and wanted to play the video... but it was just stuck it wasn't doing anything so I shut the application which was playing the video, restarted but it still wouldn't work.

I have uninstalled a program I had installed just before, to read videos.Still nothing....

And I've played other DVDs to see if they were working and they do... but now my PC says that the DVD is blank!!!

Can anyone help me please??! Sad

Thanks for reading!

System info: HP pavilion dv6000, windows vista premium

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD seen as blank but isn't!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD seen as blank but isn't!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: blank DVD
by Kees Bakker / May 23, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

1. Test the DVD on another machine. If 'blank' there also, it's a problem with this particular DVD.
2. Turn off this machine and turn it on again.
3. Test the drive with another DVD.
4. Again test this DVD on this machine. If still not readable, replace the drive.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by pbfan01 / May 23, 2007 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: blank DVD

Thanks for replying! I've tried it in another computer and it doesn't even see I'm guessing my dvd is dead Sad

Thank you for helping!

Collapse -
One last hurrah.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2007 6:38 AM PDT

Look up ISOBUSTER and see if it finds it. Copy the files out if it works.

Collapse -
It certainly is a HURRAH!
by pbfan01 / May 23, 2007 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: One last hurrah.

Thank you soooo much tried isobuster this morning and it came up with all the files!
Right now though I'm trying Diskinternal, because in isobuster i can only see the files, but can't copy them without buying the software...So I'm going to try this trial version of diskinternal as I would only use this software this once :-D

Thanks soooo much again!;)

Collapse -
Having trouble though :(
by pbfan01 / May 24, 2007 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: One last hurrah.

Hi again, I know you said to check through ISObuster, which I did and found the files but when you said to copy them did you mean through isobuster or with another way, because I've been loooking all day trying some freeware that could help me do this...Seeing that Isobuster only lets you see the files for free....

Collapse -
Then you may have put a price on what the files are worth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

Sorry but to copy them out to your hard disk and then make a new DVD is likely to take this software. I felt the price is much less than any data recovery service or a trip to the repair counter.

Collapse -
True ;)
by pbfan01 / May 24, 2007 8:23 AM PDT

Thanks again! And yes as you said still low cost but I was just checking if there was a simple way of copying like just selecting and moving to my documents!
(I'm usually the one to find that out ages after trying thousands of things!)lol
But if not then I will just have to consider it Happy

Collapse -
There may be a free path.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2007 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: True ;)

But it's called Linux. I have a few PCs running Linux that I can do a few tricks like this on. The monetary cost is low but there is a price you pay in learning something new. Or is learning something new like being paid?

Collapse -
by pbfan01 / May 25, 2007 12:12 AM PDT

I see...but I think I'll just leave it because if I try resetting or changing my pc I'll have some bother with things (as I have experienced before with 2 reformatings and 1 locked hard disk!And then had to get a new pc!lol

So I think I'll just try getting Isobuster, or do some more research on the net!

But thank you sooo much for helping me see my folders with isobuter I had given up hope!

Collapse -
reply to invisable disk
by frmtrkr / May 25, 2007 11:07 PM PDT

maybe it would be a lot easier and cheaper just to have your sister make you another copy

Collapse -
Flashback to a Simpsons episode.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 12:19 AM PDT

The one where all the family photos were lost. They recreated them...

Collapse -
Much Sympathy (but no good advice)
by saab 900 / May 26, 2007 7:55 AM PDT

I read your sad tale with great sympathy. I have had exactly the same problem of "nothing on the disk" with a CD-R that contained dozens of zip files of objects that I had added to my Sims game, gleaned from various web sites, some of which no longer exist. One day I put the cd in the drive to burn yet more objects and the reader told me there were only two zips already on the cd. Which I certainly knew to be incorrect. When I tried to open the files the pc then told me the cd had nothing at all on it. And yet properties showed it to be "full".
Eventually the pc informed me that there was a "bad block" on the CD, which I assumed to mean part of the CD that was faulty. The thing was hosed, and all my zips along with it. Previously I virtuously backed up everything to CD, secure in the knowledge that I was thereby protected from the consequences of hard drive failure or death by virus. Now I don't feel at all secure. There doesn't seem to be a failsafe way of protecting data.

Collapse -
Backups Of Your Backups...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

We make multiple backup DVD/CD's when important data is saved.. For our office computers, where the data is critical, sometimes, three or four backups are created.. Once daily, another one weekly, another one monthly, and another one every six months or so..

For some of the mission critical stuff, we've got multiple servers which duplicate themselves.

Even at home, although I make a backup with a DVD+RW disc on a weekly basis, every few months I create a DVD+R permanent copy that I place in the safety deposit box..

So it can be done.. You just need to be diligent.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks to all!!
by pbfan01 / May 26, 2007 6:29 PM PDT

Thank you everybody for all those replies, I will know in the future to back up as soon as I have files on DVD and CD!

And like you said I will need to ask my sister to make another one, but I just thought if there was a way I could do it within the next few days I would try but apparently it's not going to happen...

So anywho, thanks again for all your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.