Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD Rom door keeps opening and closing

by brokedown49 / November 6, 2005 2:34 AM PST

Hi
I am using a Sony RX660 Vaio Digital Studio PC w Pentium 1.80 processor and 512 mgs ram. I have Windows XP and my system ran great until the other day when the DVD Rom door started opening and closing on its own for no apparent reason and will not stop even if I reboot. I do not think it is hardware related because it is a dual boot system and if I boot into linux it does not do it any more.It only affects XP.
At the time the problem started I was downloading some files from Limewire and in the midlle of that it started and has not stopped since. Please help and thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD Rom door keeps opening and closing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD Rom door keeps opening and closing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There's your clue. Limewire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2005 2:44 AM PST

That software is like opening your door to your home and then wondering why its drafty and why items go missing.

I see no cure for your machine but to lock the doors and toss out the trespassers.

Bob

Collapse -
Trashed Limewire
by brokedown49 / November 6, 2005 2:56 AM PST

I did trash limewire, and tried a system restore but the DVD drive door keeps opening and shutting with no apparent reason. If anyone has any ideas I sure would appreciate the help

Collapse -
Try these scans.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Trashed Limewire
Collapse -
Still opening and closing
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: Try these scans.

Hello,
I ran the scans and no virus or bugs were detected. I also ran my anti-virus program and spybot and adaware and Microsoft Anti-Spyware None of them found anything. The DVD ROM door continues to open and close It does not seem to matter what I am doing, ie. web browsing, booting up even, downloading etc The only time I have got it to stop is if I can get a DVD in and get it started playing {which is hard to do with the door going in and out when it wants. Please help!!!

Collapse -
2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 1:28 AM PST

1. Remove the UPPERFILTERS and LOWERFILTERS from the registry as noted at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Yes this is NOT a missing drive issue but it's a procedure I do before the next step.

2. Swap the drive with another one to see if there is some hardware issue.

Bob

Collapse -
I tried it.
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: 2 ideas.

Hey,
I removed the upper and lower filters as per your advice and Microsofts but it did not change anything. I sure appreciate your time though in trying to help me. I find it hard to think it is a hardware problem because it is not very old or used. I know it is possible though. For something that works so good and makes your life easier, they sure can turn into hell.

Collapse -
I take the easy road sometimes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 6:34 AM PST
In reply to: I tried it.

That's why we swap early to be sure. If you don't, then here's a test.

Power down, reach inside and unplug the wide cable from the drive in question. Boot up and see if the problem continues.

Give it a hour, with the case on if that's how it runs normally to see how this test fairs.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Leave unplugged...
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 8:42 AM PST

Bob,
Do you mean unplug the cable and leave it unplugged or plug it back? Thanks

Collapse -
Leave the wide one unplugged.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 10:21 AM PST
In reply to: Leave unplugged...

I ran into an issue with a just slightly overtaxed PSU and demostrated the issue by leaving the IDE cable off the CD/DVD drive. The issue of opening closing continued.

We then swapped the PSU.

The test was just too wierd for the owner to grasp at first. Why would the drive open and close with only the power connected?

Bob

Collapse -
Problem...
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: 2 ideas.

Bob
When I try to delete the Upper Filter I get an error message "Cannot Delete Error while deleting key" What do I do Now? Thanks.

Collapse -
To delete a key...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 8:44 PM PST
In reply to: Problem...

You must have rights and ownership to do so. This is a fine clue that some pest has installed something.

Look at the right click properties of the key and change it to your owner and uncheck read-only or such to get the rights to remove.

Bob

Collapse -
still trying...
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 10:04 PM PST
In reply to: To delete a key...

Bob,
When I right click properties there are 4 listings:
Administrator-- Full Permissions
System----------Full " " " " "
User------------Read Only
Owner-----------Has only Special Permissions

When I check the box for Full Permissions and hit apply it clears the full permissions box (does not stay checked) Any ideas?

Collapse -
Safe mode then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: still trying...

At this point I ask you hunker down and apply yourself. You must use safe mode when such fails and more.

Did EWIDO toss out any more pests?

How about sending me your HIJACKTHIS LOG?

Bob

Collapse -
Here is the log....
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: Safe mode then.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:55:30 PM, on 11/6/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Tray Commander Lite\TC.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
C:\Program Files\Stardock\CursorXP.exe
C:\Program Files\Aqua Dock\Aqua Dock.exe
C:\Program Files\Pixoria\Konfabulator\Konfabulator.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\brokedown1\My Documents\StandAlone Apps\tbhid12b\TBhide.exe
C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\PropelAC.exe
C:\Program Files\Pixoria\Konfabulator\Konfabulator.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\brokedown1\My Documents\StandAlone Apps\FreeMem Standard\freemem.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\brokedown1\My Documents\StandAlone Apps\Utilities\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = c:\WINDOWS\PCHEALTH\HELPCTR\System\panels\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = wmplayer.exe //ICWLaunch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Welcome to Magnolia Internet Services.
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:8080
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = local;<local>
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IE_PopupBlocker Class - {656EC4B7-072B-4698-B504-2A414C1F0037} - C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\prpl_IePopupBlocker.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Desktop Search Capture - {7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: dotBookmark - {2CB1AD8E-CBFE-462b-9C9B-5BDF72B1757A} - C:\Program Files\dotBookmark\VeryBookmark.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Propel Accelerator] C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\trayctl.exe /STARTUPLAUNCH
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Tray Commander Lite] C:\Program Files\Tray Commander Lite\TC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] "C:\PROGRA~1\BILLPS~1\WINPAT~1\WinPatrol.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CoolSwitch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskswitch.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CursorXP] C:\Program Files\Stardock\CursorXP.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to Aqua Dock.lnk = C:\Program Files\Aqua Dock\Aqua Dock.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to Konfabulator.lnk = C:\Program Files\Pixoria\Konfabulator\Konfabulator.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Shortcut to TBhide.lnk = StandAlone Apps\tbhid12b\TBhide.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Allow pop-ups from this site - C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\pac-addwl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using Download &Express - C:\Program Files\Download Express\Add_Url.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\AddUrl.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download using LeechGet Wizard - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Wizard.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Open Link Target in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\brokedown1\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ojpjiix2.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewlink.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Parse with LeechGet - file://C:\Program Files\LeechGet 2004\\Parser.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pa&ge with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\pac-page.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Refresh Pi&cture with Full Quality - C:\Program Files\Magnolia Internet HyperSpeed\pac-image.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: View This Page in Firefox - file://C:\Documents and Settings\brokedown1\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ojpjiix2.default\extensions\{5D558C43-550F-4b12-84AB-0D8ABDA9F975}\firefoxviewpage.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files\bonjour\mdnsnsp.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.sony.com/vaiopeople
O16 - DPF: HushEncryptionEngine - https://mailserver2.hushmail.com/shared/HushEncryptionEngine.cab
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=36467&clcid=0x409
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1121217820671
O16 - DPF: {88D758A3-D33B-45FD-91E3-67749B4057FA} - http://dm.screensavers.com/dm/installers/si/1/sinstaller.cab
O16 - DPF: {90F7E144-984F-4FA6-83A7-C9C8DCB9974C} (RSActiveXObj Control) - http://cnet.radarsync.com/RSActiveX.ocx
O16 - DPF: {FF054BED-D972-4215-897E-726C3488DDBB} (sonyctl.sonycm) - http://supportcentral4.sel.sony.com/sdccommon/download/sonyctl.CAB
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D61569E5-9195-4CBC-B3EF-B1B74A3CA7B3}: NameServer = 63.67.88.3
O20 - Winlogon Notify: LMIinit - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\LMIinit.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: WB - C:\PROGRA~1\Stardock\OBJECT~1\WINDOW~1\fastload.dll
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe" /service (file missing)
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - 3am Labs, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\RaMaint.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn - 3am Labs, Inc. - C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\LogMeIn.exe

Collapse -
Fix the NASTY's at
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Here is the log....
http://www.hijackthis.de/index.php?langselect=english

But I see Macrovision items that are why the filters auto reinstall.

Sadly I see other items I run into on P2P user machines. You need to work back to plain and boring XP to solve this issue.

-> The issue is solvable but you must start tossing out the extras till you nail it.

Bob
Collapse -
What next?
by brokedown49 / November 8, 2005 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: Fix the NASTY's at

Bob,
I did the scan again at Hijack this and then had it analyzed and I am sending you the results;I also got an error message in the course of the scan and I am sending it also. I have done nothing else as I do not know what to do.
I am not familiar with MacroVision. Did I install it? Do I need to get rid of it? I had no idea that LimeWire was bad for me or I would never have used it.I have been hearing for the last few years about the fast file transfers so I tried it.
Here is the analysis and error message {I got the error on the scan and not the analysts)

Collapse -
I forgot the analysis.....
by brokedown49 / November 8, 2005 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Fix the NASTY's at

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1 Safe.
Safe. Shows the version of HijackThis an. The newest version is: v1.99.1!
This should be the newest version. (v1.99.1)
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180) Safe.
Safe. Shows the version of your Internet Explorer. Newest Version is: 6.00.2900.2180!
This should be the newest version. (6.00.2900.2180)
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe Check with an antivirus scanner Safe.
Safe. This entry was classified from our visitors as good.
Visitor's assessment: 4.08 (Very safe) Click on the stars and look at the comments from our visitors, to see, why the entry was classified in such a way.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe Check with an antivirus scanner Safe.
Safe. This entry was classified from our visitors as good.
Visitor's assessment: 4.44 (Very safe) Click on the stars and look at the comments from our visitors, to see, why the entry was classified in such a way.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe Check with an antivirus scanner Safe.
Safe. running process. (services.exe)
Systemprozess - Verwaltet die Systemdienste.
Visitor's assessment: 5 (Very safe)
Possibly nasty! According to our database this process runs normally in "logfile of hijackthis v1.99.1 scan saved at 16:22:35, on 06.11.2005 platform: windows xp sp2 (winnt 5.01.2600) msie: internet explorer v6.00 sp2 (6.00.2900.2180) running processes: c:\windows\system32\smss.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe c:\win! Check if you know this process and arrange a viruscheck where required.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe Check with an antivirus scanner Safe.
Safe. running process. (lsass.exe)
Systemprozess
Visitor's assessment: 4 (Safe)
Possibly nasty! According to our database this process runs normally in "logfile of hijackthis v1.99.1 scan saved at 16:22:35, on 06.11.2005 platform: windows xp sp2 (winnt 5.01.2600) msie: internet explorer v6.00 sp2 (6.00.2900.2180) running processes: c:\windows\system32\smss.exe c:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe c:\win! Check if you know this process and arrange a viruscheck where required.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe Check with an antivirus scanner Safe.
Safe. running process. (svchost.exe)
Systemprozess - Allgemeiner Hostprozessname f

Collapse -
Broke, Just A Thought...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 2:37 AM PST

Just in case one of the Limewire downloads created a "joke" startup program, check in some of the program start up locations on the computer..

1. Click on Start-All Programs-Start Up. If there are any strange looking entries there, delete them.

2. Click on Start-Run, type "msconfig", then click on OK. When the System Configuration Utility loads, click on the "Start Up" tab. Check for any strange look entries there, then UNCHECK them and restart the computer.

3. Click on Start-Run, type "regedit", then click on OK. Now check both of the paths below and if any strange entries are found there, delete them. ( BE CAREFUL about removing entries here and be sure to create a registry backup before doing so.)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still broke.
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 6:15 AM PST

Hey,
I just ran all the registry checks and found nothing strange. My startup folder is empty and I see nothing amiss. I sure thank you for taking the time to try to help me. I do not know what to try next. System restore does not fix it. I sure hate io reinstall my system off my recovery disks because off all the time involved for all the updates and programs I have installed.Could a corrupted driver cause behavior like that?

Collapse -
Broke, So Did You Try?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2005 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Still broke.

Deleting the Upper/Lower Filters registry entries per Bob's suggestion?

If that still doesn't fix the issue, then try uninstalling the drive from Device Manager while in Safe Mode, then restart the computer into "normal" Windows and let Windows "re-recognize" the drive and install the drive. (RIGHT click on "My Compute", choose 'Properties', then select the "Hardware" tab, then select the "Device Manager" button. When that loads, click on the + sign next to the "DVD/CD-Rom Drives" section. RIGHT click on the problem drive listed, choose "Uninstall". If you see a duplicate of the driver, delete/uninstall that as well..(Duplicate listings can easily cause problems) Now restart the computer and let Windows recognize the hardware and reinstall it.)

Hope this helps.

Grif

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I tried...
by brokedown49 / November 7, 2005 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Broke, So Did You Try?

Grif,
Yes I did try to delete the Upper/Lower filters but got an error message when I tried to delete the Upper filter which read "Cannot delete.....Error while deleting key"
So should I go on and try uninstalling the drive from Device Manager like you advised or what? Please advise and thank you very much.

Joe

Collapse -
DVD tray problem
by xerpor / November 7, 2005 6:55 AM PST

Since this strange behaviour started when you were downloading files from Limewire try deleting those files and see if the problem with the DVD tray stops.

I installed a trial program the other day and something like that happen to me. It wouldn't stop until I uninstalled the trial program.

Collapse -
Looks like you have some cleanup and removing to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 12:51 AM PST

Many hesitate to clean out the nasties.

I can share that P2P use opens the door to such trouble but let us bottomline this.

-> You have a choice here. Toss out anything that is suspicious or just wipe the machine and start over. And certainly remove anything that is not needed such as Stardock until the machine gets under your control again.

Bob

Collapse -
Me again...
by brokedown49 / November 8, 2005 2:14 AM PST

Bob,
I ran hijack this and cleaned out all suspicious entries, then went back to try and delete the UPPer/Lower filters with no luck. There are 20 or 21 entries that match the numbers given. Is that right?

Collapse -
The itdriver or macrovision entries are often...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2005 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Me again...

Those are tied into software that installs such filters.

Remove such and they will stop installing the filters.

-> I'm repeating myself but I would move to plain and boring till you bring it under control. No stardock, etc...

Bob

Collapse -
Duplicate Entries...
by brokedown49 / November 9, 2005 9:52 PM PST

Bob,
As I told you when I went into regedit to delete the Upper/Lower Filters I could not delete them so I thought this morning that I would enter Safe Mode and do it. I noticed that there are 24 entries with that same number. Do I try to delete them all?
I have a clean bill of health now from Housecall, Eidos and HiJack This but the DVD door still opens and closes sporadically.
I went into Safe Mode and uninstalled the DVD player as per Grifs advice, but as soon as I booted into Normal Windows and it reinstalled the door started again. I have done everything that you have told me now except open the case and unplug the drive. Should I still try that now?
Thank tou so much for your help.
Joe

Collapse -
Your choice here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2005 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: Duplicate Entries...

I noted a test to perform (you haven't), what software I would uninstall (did you?) and removing the filters (you may not have.)

At this point it may be easier to wipe the drive rather than do the tests, repairs or remove the extra softwares. But I can't tell yet.

You have to decide if you want this fixed or not and then dive in.

Bob

Collapse -
Still running...
by brokedown49 / November 14, 2005 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Your choice here.

Bob,
I had to go offshore to work a few days and I thought about all you have told me and decided that it was best for me to completly wipe my system and start over. It is amazing how fast my computer is again ;I had over 30 gb of crap on there and now it is like a new machine again. I am going to try very hard to keep it off and I will not be trying LimeWire or any of such. But...
The DVD door still opens and closes whenever it wants,and it does it even if I am playing a movie, I was wrong about that.It was even opening and closing while the operating system was installing. So that would mean that it is a hardware problem huh? I took the side cover off and tried to unplug the wide cable but I could not figure out how to get to it at the time as it is above the CD drive. Can I fix this thing? I hope so as I really like to learn and I sure thank you for your information and advice. You have made me think and that is good and I have learned some things and that is better. Thanks.

Collapse -
That wide cable is the last test. Good news for some...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2005 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Still running...

Is that a dual layer 16X DVD all format recorder is under 40 bucks at newegg.com. I still suspect power issues, but that's just me with a lot of history of wierd machines that turned out to be some power issue.

My bet is some pest damaged the OS good. Those P2P programs or what you download is not safe. I won't write much about that except this is how most learn what flavor koolaid is given out there.

Cheers,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.