TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

DVD player - Which one?

by SLLPC / September 12, 2006 10:12 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD player - Which one?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD player - Which one?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From a quick look the one with up conversion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

If the other doesn't have it, your HDTV may not look so good.

Collapse -
I also suggest looking at a Sony
by bevillan / September 13, 2006 12:47 AM PDT

I have a Sony DVP upconverting player and I am very satisfied with it. I don't remember the model number off the top of my head but look in my cnet profile under what I own and that is the one.

It is only $130-$150 and really does make DVDs look a hell of a lot better than what they would look like in normal 480i or 480p.

Collapse -
From the link you provided,
by ahtoi / September 13, 2006 4:24 PM PDT

the Toshiba doesn't seem to have upconversion. base on that alone I would get the Philips. However, I know Costco sell a Toshiba that has upconversion and it also come with a hdmi cable as well (about the same price as the Philips). Both the Sony and Panasonics are a bit higher in cost (may or may not be better).

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What model capabilities is the Sony 50"?
by breslin / September 13, 2006 11:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
hdmi out - but no hdmi in...
by SLLPC / September 15, 2006 4:25 AM PDT

the phillips has hdmi out, but my TV doesn't have hdmi in... I have the dvd player running component video cables to the tv, and then coaxial digital audio to the reciever...

therefore, I assume I can't upconvert to HD.... meaning both of the players are relatively the same?

Collapse -
You are probably right
by breslin / September 15, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

I am not familiar with either of the DVD players, but unless one of them will up-convert over component, which I doubt, it probably will not make any difference which one you use.

Collapse -
Upconverting DVD
by Dan Filice / September 15, 2006 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: You are probably right

I may be blind, but I don't see any difference on my upconverting DVD player when I cycle between 480p, 720p and 1080i using HDMI. My player will upconvert via Component if I use a hack, but I haven't used it yet because 480p on component is perfectly fine. It's probably just me, but I'm happy with 480p.

Collapse -
What TV are you using?
by breslin / September 15, 2006 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Upconverting DVD

The difference you see, if any, can be affected by the TV you are using. For example; if you have a 720P fixed pixel TV and you de-interlace the 480i from the DVD to 480P in the DVD player the TV will scale the image to 720P. If you scale the image to 720P in the DVD player the TV will still display a 720P picture, the difference being where the scaling took place, the DVD player or the TV, and the quality difference between the two (if any).

If you scale the image from 480i to 1080i in the DVD player the TV will scale the image to 720P. Since this involves scaling twice I would think that this would be the least preferable.

Assuming that the scaler in the TV is as good as the scaler in the DVD player, passing the original 480i signal to the TV would probably look best, but most up-scaling DVD players will not pass the 480i signal over HDMI. I think I read that you (Dan) have an Oppo DVD player and I believe that the Oppo can pass the 480i signal over the HDMI.

Collapse -
by Dan Filice / September 15, 2006 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: What TV are you using?

I'm guilty as charged...I have the Oppo. I've tried the upscaling on my only TV with HDMI, which is a Sony 23" XBR LCD(my bedroom TV). It's a 720p TV (actually it's 1366X768). Each time I press the HDMI button on the Oppo remote to change the resolution, the TV goes through all sorts of calculations before the picture settles down, and displays the new resolution (720p or 1080i), so the TV is doing the scaling. It could be that the small 23" screen is too small to really see the changes. My 50" RPTV only has component, and I don't want to run the hack to do upresing through component on the Oppo because I fear it may void the warranty. Doing 480p on the old set still looks stunning, so I didn't want to temp fate.

Thanks, Dan

Collapse -
I pick neither of those players !
by NestoJR / September 15, 2006 8:56 PM PDT

I've been recommending this player to countless people (not sure how many online have actually listened to me as I don't follow-up) but w/o a doubt, you can't go wrong with the Oppo @

For reasons why, visit and check out the dvd player forum and search for Oppo and also check out the Secrets' DVD benchmark at

Now, if you just want a cheap budget player and would never even think of paying $200 for any dvd player when there are countless cheap ones out there that "work fine." then thats your choice but why skimp ?? You've put together a nice HT setup already, why skimp on your dvd source ?? THe Oppo is a great unit, fast navigation, seamless layer change, easily hacked into region-free, upconverts (which I dont' see much of a difference of on my CRT but flat panel users would benefit from it), it can play div x and wma files, dvd-r, etc. etc., does PAL conversion, comes with a HDMI cable and as said before, displays a great picture !! Get what informed home theater enthusiasts have known for a long time. Some people have complaints about the Oppo but they're just nit picking (and no the tray isn't as flimsy as it looks, I've had a cheap player that had a similar tray and when the unit is turned on its side, next thing you know the dvd is out of the tray and inside the player, not so with the Oppo).

Just my 2 cents... I'm happy with my Oppo that I've had for almost a good 2 years, never had a problem with it. To add another thing, recently I was helping my friend get a cobweb out of his CRT with the Oppo playing a dvd, as I was attempting to get up from behind the tv,the Oppo fell a good 3 feet down onto my back and everyone who was watching the dvd exclaimed at how the dvd didn't skip at all, just kept on playing as if it hadn't fell and hit me. I was impressed with that as I've never dropped mine while it was playing.

As far as your 2 players, if you're keeping them after all I've said, well... why are you asking us ??? Use them and see which you like better. Btw, I have a Hitachi 57" CRT and a Pioneer 1014, as well as some internet speakers (Onix Rockets and a SVS sub if u must know), so I do appreciate great value and good price to performance ratio and the Oppo is definately one.

Collapse -
Oppo is strong but pick the Phillips DVP5960
by dc01bb / September 16, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

I was very impressed with the Oppo web site and the specificiations of the two units. For video quality, you can not beat the Faroudja chip set in the 971 player. However, you lose the HDMI interface and the USB port on the 970 and the Phillips DVP5960.

I own the Phillips DVP5960 and use it mostly for the USB port. I plug in an external hard drive (500gb) filled with movies, music and pictures. This essentially makes a media center.

For the highest video quality, I would go with the Oppo 971, for their Faroudja chip set.

What would be the best for me is for Oppo to produce another set with the combined features of both Oppo's (970 & 971). I would buy one in a heart beat.

Collapse -
Oppo vs Phillips
by Dan Filice / September 16, 2006 5:51 AM PDT

The DVD Benchmark shootout (which I place a lot of trust in for their highly technical reviews) and other high-end DVD review sites, compared the 971 to the 970 and the 971 had only marginally better tests that an accurate eye might see on TVs larger than 60". The 970 without the Faroudja was considered equal, especially since the one issue found with Faroudja chip sets is their issue with Macroblocking and the 970 had none of this. Oh, the Oppo also comes with a very high quality 6' HDMI cable, so that's got to be worth something. Check out this link for an indepth review of the 970HD:

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / September 18, 2006 11:47 AM PDT

Ok lets start with your sony t.v. I assume its an older 3 tube monster? So it must have 1 d.v.i. input If it does your in luck. then just run a h.d.m.i. to d.v.i. cable to your t.v. also if you are using a hi-def dish or cable system run d.v.i. out and buy your self a switcher. I say this because I owned an older Sony 3 tube set and componit hook ups gave a nasty picture until I u8sed the d.v.i. port on the t.v. good luck stewee

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.