Audio & Video Software

General discussion

DVD player doesn't recognize video DVDs

by nightflyer32 / August 6, 2009 12:37 AM PDT

Tech stuff first.
I've got a G4 iBook, OS 10.4.11, 1.2 GHz, 1.2 GB Ram, 120 GB HD with at least 10 GB free, and a DVD burner installed about a year ago to replace the DVD player.

Kind of an odd problem...

My DVD player doesn't recognize videos anymore.

I don't know how long this has been the case, as it's been a while since I watched one on my iBook.

It recognizes and mounts software DVDs, like the OS 10.4 disk, but not videos. With those, it tries, doesn't mount them on the desktop, and opens the DVD player, but then says "Disk not supported" when I hit play.

That includes DVDs that I've burned on my iBook, as recently as a couple weeks ago.

I tried VLC, and that plays the disks, no problem - but I'd really like the actual Apple DVD software to do it.

As I mentioned, about a year ago I upgraded the drive from a DVD player to DVD burner. (Well, the tech did, anyway....) Since then, I may or may not have used it to watch DVDs (I think I did), it's given me no trouble with CDs, and I'm pretty sure I reinstalled the OS at least once for unrelated reasons. And of course, repaired permissions, ran maintenance software and so forth.

Any thoughts on how I might determine what the problem is, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD player doesn't recognize video DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD player doesn't recognize video DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVD ages
by lordsmurf / August 24, 2009 8:07 PM PDT

As a DVD player or burner ages, it starts to have more and more problems. First, the ability to write blanks gets less cooperative. Second, it starts to reject reading burned discs. Finally, it won't even play store bought pressed DVDs.

The first issue is to know more about your setup. My initial instinct is to say the blank DVD in use is not good enough. Not all blanks are created equal. For a list of the best blank DVDs to use, and where to buy them, see http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm and then compare what you have against that list.

From what you say so far, I think the issue is definitely related to the burned dis, very likely a dying burner or simply a case of using inferior blanks.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
DVD player, Finder didn't recognize video DVDs, blanks
by nightflyer32 / August 25, 2009 2:15 AM PDT
In reply to: DVD ages

Funny thing - last time I tried using it for movies, blank DVDs or CDs, I got nothing.

Testing it again just now, it works fine with everything.

I don't think the problem was inferior blanks, as they've worked fine in the very recent past. Also, the drive's less than a year old, so I don't think age is a factor.

Not sure what the deal was, but hopefully the problem is solved.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.