PC Hardware forum

General discussion

DVD drives can no longer play audio CDs

by Spurred_On / November 24, 2009 5:55 AM PST

I have 2 DVD drives on this XP machine, different brands. I upgraded my anitvirus program, and suddenly neither drive could read audio CDs. This is NOT a lens problem. The lenses on two different drives did not suddenly die at the same moment. Alcohol and a Q-tip is not the answer. Moreover, when I boot up the machine, while the blue Windows screen with the user names displayed for logging in appears, if I insert an audio CD and then log in, it can be read in my file manager normally and it can play normally. If, after playing the CD, I eject it and try to play any other audio CD, the file manager cannot read the new CD and it cannot be played. The file manager can see that a CD disc has been inserted; it just can't read it.

All DVD discs read and play normally, whether commercially recorded or privately recorded (MPEG or VOB files). Data CDs read and open normally, as do CDs that contain image files. Only CDs with CDA files are not readable.

I have tried deleting the upper and lower filter values in my Registry key without any effect on the problem. I have reinstalled drivers for the two DVD drives without any change in the problem. I have uninstalled the antivirus program without any change in the problem, (I have since reinstalled it.) I have spent time wandering the antivirus program's forums seeking resolution to this and other problems created by their upgrade. All of the other problems from the upgrade were resolve by the forum answers to my posts, except this one. I have read that Norton Antivirus upgrades had a similar problem, but it involved a CD burning program that I do not have installed.

I know there has been a previous thread posted here concerning similar problems, but none of the "fixes" applied to my problem ? nor did they resolve the initial problem there. I'm convinced it's a Registry change, but I have no idea which key(s). Again, deleting the upper and lower filter values was not the solution. I'm hoping someone has found a fix for this aggravating problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drives can no longer play audio CDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drives can no longer play audio CDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
2 ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 6:07 AM PST
Collapse -
2 ideas reply
by Spurred_On / November 24, 2009 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: 2 ideas.

Thanks Bob. I'll try that out a bit later. I'm in the midst of a project on the system right now.

Collapse -
to spurred
by hannja / November 24, 2009 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: 2 ideas reply

maybe you choosed the "image" as default?
I recently had the same problem.

Collapse -
Reply to hannja
by Spurred_On / November 25, 2009 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: to spurred

Thanks for your reply hannja. Both drives read and played audio CDs normally prior to the installation of the antivirus upgrade. No changes were made to the default player associated with CDA files. For both audio CDs and DVDs I have selected "Take no action" for autoplay, and for the CDA file extension I have set the same audio editing program (Sound Forge) now as I had before the problem. Something was changed by the antivirus upgrade installation, not by me. I think the change was somewhere in the Registry. Either the upgrade deleted a key or two, or it modified something.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.