Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

DVD drive won't play DVDs, only CDs help!

by the2monkeys / July 14, 2005 9:55 AM PDT

Hi everyone,

Got a problem with my DVD+RW drive on my laptop and nothing seems to be able to fix it!
I have a Compaq Presario 2500 Series (2543AH) laptop. My DVD+RW drive is a HL-DT-ST DVD+RW GCA-4040N. I run Win XP SP2.

For the past few months my drive won't play or burn DVDs at all. When I try and play with WinDVD, it just crashes, and when I try to play with Windows Media it comes up with the error message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. Open Display in Control Panel, and then lower your screen resolution and color quality settings. To view the DVD Troubleshooter, click More Information." Even when I do this it still doesn't work! And anyway, I hadn't changed anything about my display, a few months ago it was working fine.

I tried calling Compaq the call centre person had no idea what to do. On the HP website, in the driver update section for my computer, they only have firmware updates available forToshiba SD-R6252 DVD+RW Drive and QSI SBW-241 DVD/CD-RW Drive. HP have generally been extremely useless, which is why I came here! My drive can still play and burn CDs, but nothing else. Help!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drive won't play DVDs, only CDs help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drive won't play DVDs, only CDs help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 11:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
help with the advice..
by the2monkeys / July 14, 2005 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: My test.

Would you be able to walk me through how to do that... ?? Thanks!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2005 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: help with the advice..

The GEEXBOX website offers a nice little ISO file that you burn to a CD with your image writing CD recording software. Most can just double click on the .ISO and if the recording software works, you boot that CD.

If your CD recording software is broken, then install CDBURNERXP and use its WRITE ISO to make the boot CD.

Best of luck,

Collapse -
by the2monkeys / July 18, 2005 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.

Ok... got the .iso file and burnt it to a cd (that's why it took so long to reply, ran out of blank cds, hehe)... Anyway it still ain't going... maybe I missed something...???

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: hmmmm....

Your post left me without any new details about your issue as well as if you booted the GEEXBOX CD.

It's the tool I use to test if a system will play DVD (videos) without having to reload their OS.

Collapse -
Same problem
by geona / July 21, 2005 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Details?

I have a brand new computer (AMD Athlon 3000+, 200gb hard drive, 1024mb RAM, Radeon 9250 graphics card, Realtek AC97 soundcard) with a DVD drive. The 1st time I tried to play a DVD, Windows Media Player said it couldn?t because it didn?t have a DVD decoder (or filter? Is it the same thing?). I installed a few free filters (FFDshow and AC3filter), and I no longer get the decoder error message. Now it says it can?t play the DVD, and tells me to reduce my resolution and color settings. Doing so doesn?t change anything (they were already pretty low). I still get the same message. Any ideas? Would downloading a different DVD player software help? Thanks.

Collapse -
That's it. You don't have DVD player software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2005 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

It's a common oversight. Many don't know that DVD player software is not free (for Windows).

Collapse -
downloaded DS player and still no joy
by geona / July 22, 2005 7:05 AM PDT

and all their recommended filters too. Despite removing DVD video from Windows Media Player?s default list, the 1st thing that happens on inserting the dvd is a box asks me what I want to do -- open with WMP, create a file or do nothing. I tried to set DSPLayer as the default dvd player, but nothing doing. Worse, WMP keeps re-establishing itself as the default DVD player (and I am pressing "apply" after unchecking the box, not "accept"). When I open my D drive (with a DVD inserted), I get two folders: Audio_TS (empty) and Video_TS, which has any number of objects, varying from one DVD to another, only some of which are iconed as DSPLayer files. If I try to open them, I?ll get one of two responses: "DSPlayer has detected an error and will now close", or a small black screen will pop up, followed by this strange "red X" message: "listenindex uberschreitet das Maximum (0)". What in hay is going on? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Let me be blunt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2005 9:51 AM PDT

I've watched hundreds try to "download" any number of DVD players for Windows and after all this, it is a colossal waste of time. I can't help you since it would be a waste of my time too. Hope you understand.

Today, here, now you can go make a GEEXBOX boot CD and play your DVD in about 15 minutes (took me about 5) with GEEXBOX.

Later you can research what DVD player software for Windows you want to buy.

Collapse -
Try Real Alternative -- worked for me
by geona / July 25, 2005 10:05 PM PDT

Hope you?re still checking this thread. I had a similar problem -- didn?t realize that for Windows you have to buy a DVD decoder (the free ones out there are apparently incompatible with Windows Media PLayer). Then I downloaded a player I stumbled upon -- Media Player Classic -- which advertises itself as a Real Player alternative (because in my experience, Real Player is full of bugs). Then if you insert a DVD, cancel Windows Media PLayer if it comes up by default, open Media Player Classic, open the drop-down file menu, open DVD, and presto! Here?s the link, it?s toward the bottom of the page (a list of freeware), and is called Real Alternative.
Good luck,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.