Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD drive won't play DVDs

by schtevo / August 13, 2010 7:08 AM PDT

Dell Dimension 8200

I have a LG GSA-H55L DVD burner that once worked fine but now won't play most DVDs. It reads data cds, plays audio CDs and some burned DVDs but not commercial DVDs. When a commercial DVD is inserted, Windows Explorer or My Computer just lists it as "DVD-RAM Drive" as if no disc was inserted. Media Player Classic or others says something like no DVD inserted.

I sometimes put new software on this computer. It's been awhile since I previously played a DVD so I'm not sure when it stopped working or if it was a result of something I did or a Windows update, etc.

Things I've tried:
Updated firmware on the drive
Unistalled it from device manager and rebooted
Un/Reinstalled the software for it
Ensured that the IDE channel was set for DMA (currently Ultra DMA 4)
Ensured that the region code was set to 1 (as are my DVDs)
Updated system BIOS

I also tried moving the drive to the slave position on the same IDE2 and moved my second HDD to the master. Normally, both hard drives are on IDE1. This machine is supposed to use cable select and all jumpers are set to that. 80 wire cables too.

I noticed that the BIOS picked it up as "CD-ROM" not DVD. Don't know if that's normal. Device manager lists it as "HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55L".

Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drive won't play DVDs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drive won't play DVDs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
While we find out what DVD player software you have.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

I suggest you play a DVD with VLC PLAYER as we discover what software you used to use.

Collapse -
VLC Player
by schtevo / August 13, 2010 7:35 AM PDT

When I tried to play a DVD with VLC Player I got:

Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://D:\'. Check the log for details.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: VLC Player
Collapse -
by schtevo / August 13, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

Tried that.. no luck.

Collapse -
Last test
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 14, 2010 12:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried
Collapse -
by pegpluscol / August 13, 2010 2:23 PM PDT

If you have Nero version seven or download the upgrade you should have no proiblems.
Last week for the first time, I tried toi watch a DVD the system suggested to go online and
download a converter. I did. (It took up plenty mbs) But, it merely converts the DVD to
another file on the PC and that takes ages to process. I pulled the plug after 10 minutes.

I later realised that I should have installed the Nero 'Power producer' on the setup disk.
It has beautiful features, such as an obn screen remote control.

Collapse -
Check your software
by GENE8 / August 13, 2010 4:49 PM PDT

Do you have more than one software program installed for your DVD burner? if you do, then they might be conflicting with one another when you try to play a DVD. If that's not the case, then you may need to check to see if the software you're using is configured properly for DVD playback.

Collapse -
by Agamaras / August 13, 2010 7:30 PM PDT

Well, if you installed the wrong firmware you could be in trouble but I assume you had this problem before you did that. Have you downloaded updated drivers for it since you updated the firmware ?
Burned data DVD's or burned movies work on it ?
Sometimes this stuff just goes bad. Have you tried a New DVD Burner ? They are not that expensive. Sounds like its time to get that Blu/Ray DVD burner player you have been wanting.
If you can, put this burner in a friends PC and see how it works, but for all the headache and heartburn it is causing you, you can go out and get a new one for 30 bucks or so, maybe even cheaper.

Collapse -
K-Lite Codec
by wondr / August 13, 2010 10:36 PM PDT

Try downloading K-lite Codec Pack, that always seems to fix the problem for me unless you have issues with your dvd player.

Collapse -
Dvd player/burner no longer recognizes DVD's
by jfordorl / August 14, 2010 12:08 AM PDT

I had that problem (DVD Drive won't recognize DVD's but does fine with CD's. I had installed a free (or was it trial version) of Nero (lite? if I recall correctly) and the problem started. Once I found this problem listed in several blogs, I removed it from the computer and everything started to work correctly again. Do a search for it and you will find the complete information. It's been about a year and I don't remmber exact details. BTW, you didn't try to clean your laser did you? Don't ever touch it, as the beam is focused and even a minor displacement can kill the ability to focus on the relatively finer tracks of a DVD vs a CD's larger tracks! jfordorl

Collapse -
A Few Suggestions....
by fjbirdman / August 15, 2010 10:05 PM PDT

To begin with, go to (a Cnet service) and locate the Windows "Essential" Video Codec pack. Videos that wouldn't play for me before (commercial) suddenly began to play! 2nd -- Make sure you have the correct and latest driver for your DVD drive and make SURE it is compatible with your operating system. One designed for XP will usually NOT work with Vista and vice-versa. Thirdly....Go into device manager and right-click on the dvd drive and "uninstall" it. Then instruct Device manager to scan for hardware changes, and it should find it and re-install it. Test it. If this combination of things doesn't solve the problem, you will need to use REGEDIT and adjust the registry. Unless you know what you are doing, I'd find a friend who does. In one Dell Dimension I worked on, a similar complaint couldn't be solved until I edited the registry -- Lo and behold, I located another entry in the registry for a drive that didn't even exist in the machine, but its "weight" in the list was there....causing a conflict. Once cleared out, the DVD drive started working correctly. To make things easier, I actually purchased the "PC Tools Registry Mechanic" software, and it has solved a lot of similar problems. Good Luck!

Collapse -
Try toggling the CD-ROM to DVD-ROM into the
by LucJPatenaude / August 15, 2010 10:49 PM PDT

Bios setup page then, save the changes and exit.

The rest of the problems and symptoms have been experienced and lived by myself in my XP years(4 years ago). Looks like SP3 no longer cuts it, anymore. Time to move on to a better O.S. Both the Bios and O.S. seem to not understand the newest driver programming's lingo.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.