Computer Help forum

General discussion

DVD drive doesn't recognize blank DVD disc

by meljack45 / February 25, 2010 1:16 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 w/XP. I bought some Memorex DVD-RW discs to make DVDs, but when I put a blank DVD in the drive the system/computer doesn't even recognize that it's there.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: DVD drive doesn't recognize blank DVD disc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: DVD drive doesn't recognize blank DVD disc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / February 25, 2010 1:42 AM PST

Two things

1: Optical drives, and especially burners, fail pretty often

2: For a while Dell would ship systems with DVD+R only drives. So, if you have DVD-R (note the - instead of +) media, it won't work in a +R only drive.

First thing I'd do is check whether you have a +R only drive, and if it's a +/-R drive, then it's probably failing and needs to be replaced.

Collapse -
DVD Drive doesn't recognize blank DVD
by meljack45 / February 25, 2010 2:58 AM PST
In reply to: Two things

OK, thanks. The thing plays DVDs ok. I've looked everywhere I can think of but can't find if as you recommended "first thing I'd do is check whether you have a +R only drive, and if it's a +/-R drive..." I had an Imation DVD+RW laying around so I stuck that in the drive and it was recognized (the ones not recognized is Memorex) though I'm not sure how the manufacturer of the disc should make any diff.

Collapse -
I have this same problem
by catkenobi-208815654951464 / April 16, 2010 3:44 AM PDT

I just did what you said and checked the writing on my disc. it is a DVD-R. Now what am I supposed to do with 50 of these?

Thanks.
C

Collapse -
Re: DVD-R
by Kees Bakker / April 16, 2010 4:48 AM PDT

If you're sure that your drive only recognizes +, and not - than you can't use -. That's simple.

Then your choices are:
- sell them
- give them away
- destroy them
- buy another burner that can use them

Kees

Collapse -
What ever you do, don't put them in DVD+R only drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2010 4:57 AM PDT

Early models would fry the laser if the wrong media was inserted. It was not funny that you would warn folk about that but they would try and fry drives anyway.

Almost like putting diesel fuel in your average US Ford truck.
Bob

Collapse -
You keep them for your next burner...
by ahtoi / April 16, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

that can burn everything...or give it to your friend (they might be able to use them).

Collapse -
Not recognizing blank media
by Joemelch / November 15, 2012 1:23 AM PST

Running Windows 7 Pro. This problem did NOT occur before I installed these MS updates (KB2729452) (K82760413) (K82737019)(K82729449) (K82719033) (KB890830) (K82687311) (KB2596660) (KB2596848) (K82687307)(K82727528) (K82761451)(K82761226) (K82687404) yesterday. Two things happened. 1) I get the error "Windows can't read the disc in drive X:" on all my DVD/CD drives in Windows Explorer. 2) The autoplay window that used to come up asking what I want to do (burn audio cd, copy files to disc, etc.) no longer comes up. I can copy files to the disc using Roxio and I can create an audio cd using roxio..

Collapse -
That's right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 1:41 AM PST

Autoplay is now disabled. You'll have to research how to turn it on (I won't tell how because it's off due to security risks) or learn how to start your burning app.
Bob

Collapse -
I cured my problem
by Joemelch / November 15, 2012 1:47 AM PST

The autoplay part clued me in. I went to windows help and typed in autoplay. Went to change autoplay settings and changed the blank cd and dvd settingd from grayed out to ask me every time. and the options came back and when I click on the drive with the blank cd/dvd in windows explorer it asks if I want to use the drive as a cd/dvd drive or like a usb flash drive. One of the fixes above changed the defaults.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.